• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Custom pistons ?

Darter6

Local time
4:26 AM
Reaction score
What manufacturer would you go with ?
The build is budget based for a B engine for standard duty, nothing built for racing.It is a 63 361 and no one has 4.125 bore pistons off the shelf other than low compression truck slugs.The engine block is low mileage and the bores check out fine and I really don't want to or have to bore.I have a passion for Chrysler's unwanted red head step child engines.
Your suggestions will help greatly as I have a strict budget that I want to stick to.I plan on new rods at about $500 or recondition what I have at around $300.Another $500 for pistons there about is where I'm at. I know that many manufactures have 4.125 pistons for Chevy engines that may work but doing searches I come up with nothing other than using Ford rods and allot of expensive crank work that will kill my budget.
I guess what I'm getting at is I hope to not get just flat "no" answers when I call piston manufactures.This will give me a head's up.Anybody been down this road ?

If u use a Chevy piston (providing 1 will work 4 u) could u not bush ur rod end down to Chevy pin size? Idk if it’s possible. U could also have ur crank ground down for a Chevy rod. Ppl can and will do a lot of weird stuff nowadays. Kim

Diamond, JE.... lotsa options for customs
But IMO, Forget a custom in the $500 budget range, I just can't see that happening.

What are you Budgeting for Balancing ?
because NO WAY any swapped slug application... IF it can be found ?
1,93" CD or very close
4.130" Bore Diameter(some FE Fords are close but CD's are waaay off)
is gonna be anywhere close to the 361 Bobweight ?
and that includes any "Custom" Piston as well ?

I could go on forever with the reasons why a different Piston application won't work.... and believe me we've done it LOTS being a Machine Shop swapping 318 Pistons into Olds, etc., etc,.
just say'in....
unless YOU are a Machine Shop one of the larger hurdles if you can locate the required Bore dimension and Compression Distance...... will be the 1.094 Pin Diameter.... and enlarging the Pin Diameters, re-drilling/ cross drilling Oilers from the Pin Bores up into the Oil Ring Groove , etc., etc
IMO Cheaper to:
just buck up for the Customs
and
Pay for Balancing.

Years ago I hear the term. Cut down the piston. I assumed they turned it down on a laithe? I heard of it being done but never actually seen it. Kim

I too have a 361 in my Charger. My short block is OK , so I am just redoing the top end. I just looked up Egge, and they show pistons for a 361 for $438 a set.

I too have a 361 in my Charger. My short block is OK , so I am just redoing the top end. I just looked up Egge, and they show pistons for a 361 for $438 a set.

BINGO !
Yeah I forgot about Egge..... just Mill the Block/cut the Heads for desired CR.... still cheaper than customs

If the bores are good, what is the problem with the existing pistons? Obiviously it's not a race motor.
Doug

I have no pistons or rods. Just Block & Crank that was given to me.The guy thru the rest away.
Yes, Egge . I actually found pistons at Summit special order both were in the $500 range. Both are the truck dished pistons around 7to1 compression.
As I said I was hoping that maybe someone did this before..Not really looking for any machine work. I call it a High School rebuild.Hone,rings and bearings.
I can scrap the block( I hate to throw things away) but I never had a 361 and want to ad to the list of Chrysler engines I've had over the years.
Guess I'm just weird that way.

Factory car pistons are flat tops +/- .060 down in the bore.

361 piston.jpg

Does it need bored or can it be reringed...used 361 pistons are around to if you don't have any, any b rod should work.

The Egge piston I saw was listed as a flat top with a 1.89 compression height. Part number L2079-8

Egge.jpg

Nominally yes, but I am getting more than that. I have been using a straight edge and stacked feeler gauges, I've got to find a better way to measure.

Nominally yes, but I am getting more than that. I have been using a straight edge and stacked feeler gauges, I've got to find a better way to measure.

If your responding to my post, the .045 is theoretical based on spec numbers not measured numbers.. If the deck height is proud or the rod has been resized things vary...

Typically I find the straight edge and feeler gauges gives a pretty accurate number usually within a few thousands..

The Egge piston I saw was listed as a flat top with a 1.89 compression height. Part number L2079-8

View attachment 1063826
I already called John, and he said they do not have any std's, only 0.030" and yes, custom forged will be over $1000. You might try Kantar Auto in Boonton NJ.

We have mid 60s car 361 in storage, the main reason why we saved it was for entering in a class that had a cubic inch limit of 370 and liked the idea of a Bb. I doubt we would ever use the engine as it is and if you are needing rods and pistons std I would guess they are decent, but they are still sitting in the short block with the heads off.

Last edited:
Well there is always a chance. I got some pistons from a guy but the rings were all stuck. Had to heat and beat to get them out.
So they weren't usable. I think I got 3 or 4 that were usable. If yours are good I would like to buy them rods and all .

Checked with Kanter, No standard bore either.Ebay has them starting at .020 and up oversize.
I really thank all of you for the help.
It's just one of the "I want to,I don't have to." kind of thing.
You know "I got a B Edelbrock intake, Now what can I find to use it" then snowball from there. Everything else I have new for it. down to the old pan that I have collected the last 17 years.

Auto Transport Service
Back