• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cylinder head alignment dowel issue

7t500

Local time
10:11 PM
Reaction score
I'm working on building up my 470 stroker and I'm running into an issue. Some of my cylinder head alignment dowels are falling through the holes in the engine block. What's the recommended procedure for getting these to stay?

Those holes are not supposed to be thru holes! Someone did something screwey!

Also, the pins are supposed to be tight in the deck.....do you have the right size pins?

Post #2! Cranky makes a good point in #3 also.
Are you positive you're putting them in the right holes? I only ask because there are similar holes very nearby.

th-1369225174.jpg

And I apologize if you know this already but press them in, don't hammer on them or the ends can mushroom out a hair and interfere with installing the heads.

Last edited:
What Cranky said and do they fall into water jacket. Might need to be creative.

Pins are .250, came with the Mahle plug kit. I have some other Dorman PC-725-25 that appear identical.

Looking at Beanheads picture it appears I may have been looking at the wrong holes. The hole with the dowel k. That picture only measure .245 and the pins won't fit but if I need to clean them up to get fitment, no problem. I was looking at the hole to the exhaust side because it measure .250 and the pins ALMOST have and interference fit. However, on closer inspection the center hole is blind on both head and block and it makes way more sense!

If the answer is that I was too tired and not paying attention... great! This is why I ask and why this place is great.

Auto Transport Service
Back