• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cylinder head and cam question

Did you use the valley pan with the crossover blocked off?
Don't forget to check the kickdown lever as well...

Yes I did, and I eliminated the heat riser valve. The air cleaner is so large I think it holds a lot of heat around the carb. I figure raising it a bit can't hurt for air flow around the carb.

I've got this, but it isn't going to help with air flow.:lol:

IMG_20210517_213138.jpg

I decided to double check my hood clearance with the 1/2 inch spacer, so I got out the play dough. Everything looked good until I got to the back of the air cleaner right below the rear hood bracing. I only had about 1/16 clearance. Off came the 1/2 inch 4 hole spacer and on went the 1/4 inch fiber gasket. Now I have a bit over 1/4 inch clearance minimum. I readjusted the linkage, good to go. I still need to check the timing and make a few carb adjustments, hopefully tomorrow.

IMG_20210807_164747.jpg IMG_20210807_165720.jpg IMG_20210807_171240.jpg IMG_20210807_171549.jpg

Checked the timing and it was dead on. I changed the accelerator pump linkage to the top hole and added a half turn to the secondary air door, trying to get rid of a minor hesitation off idle, and a bog when flooring it from a dead stop. Reset the idle mixture and curb idle. I didn't get a chance to drive it today to see if the changes helped, but I will be driving to a cruise night on Wednesday which should be a good test.

Drove to the cruise night tonight and the car ran great. The slight hesitation off idle is gone. I never had an opportunity to try the secondaries due to traffic and rain on the way home, but happy with my fine tuning so far.

I drove the car to the local cruise today. No rain today and I had some open road on the way home so I was able to kick it down. It actually pulled pretty good. Maybe all my work did add some power after all.

IMG_20210818_184439.jpg

That look's like a good choice. Been thinking I need a different carb. Did all of your linkage and fuel lines hook up ok. Or did you have to mod some of it. Look's good and think your going to be happy. Blue.

I used a standard Chrysler linkage adapter. Hard to say about stock linkage and fuel lines fitting, because my car was originally a 2 barrel so I had to fabricate new.

Linkage 3.jpg

I did a little more tuning today. Hooked up the vacuum gauge and it pulls a rock steady 16 inches at idle. That is interesting because the description of the cam said it would only have 14 inches at idle. I also ended up switching the vacuum advance from ported to full manifold vacuum which cleaned up the idle even more.

IMG_20210823_182649.jpg

Last edited:
Kim, it is exactly what I wanted. It has a slight lope at idle, just enough so it sounds like a factory high performance engine. It has very good street manners, and seems to pull pretty well in the midrange. I didn't want to go too big while retaining the stock convertor and 2.94 gears. I was also able to use stock replacement springs for a 383 4 barrel which fit my heads and kept the costs down.

I drove to the local cruise night again tonight. Changing to full manifold vacuum for the advance made it idle so much better. On the way home I got a chance to try it a couple of times from a dead stop. My secondary adjustment got rid of 90 % of the bog. Once you get this thing rolling, it pulls pretty well.

IMG_20210825_192420.jpg

I haven't posted any updates on a while. I have just been driving the car and not working on it much. Went to the Pumpkinfest car show in Waterford on the weekend. Big turnout considering it rained on and off all day.

IMG_20211017_084953.jpg

Next weekend is the WOMO Mopar meet at St Thomas. Car will need a good cleaning first. Hopefully the weather is better next weekend.

Auto Transport Service
Back