• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dana 60 ratio - advice / info. please.

aldal

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:49 PM
Reaction score
I am having my 65 Coronet mini tubbed and a Dana 60 installed and was planning on 4.10 gears and a Gear Vendors overdrive but unfortunately I don't think I can afford the Gear Vendors unit. I have a 572 Hemi with a 727 automatic tranny (not installed yet) and really need some advice on what gear ratio you guys are running, have run and just in general some info. and advice (I realize this has been discussed before but I want fresh perspectives). One final note I probably will be mainly cruising and just chilling no serious racing except maybe to just have some fun. Thanks, Al

Last edited:
What does your cam recommend?

That's a question I never even thought about. The reason I cannot afford the Gear Vendors is because I am going with an all aluminum engine and did not think to discuss it with my builder. I am having a hard time getting everything figured out.

Cam has a lot to do with gearing. My 65 with a 426 hemi the cam duration is 246 degrees @ .050. Loped at low speed 5 mph. It had 3.54 rear, put 4.10's in but don't go on trips with the 4.10s.

I'm sure if you post the specs all of the great minds will be able to offer up some options based on the info. May want to mention what stall your running as well...

Kinda surprised your builder didn't ask you what gears you were going to use.

If you can wait for the grear vendors trans then 4:10 will be fun. Without overdirve and a standard 727 on street your going to really burn the gas and buzz that motor. I would use 3:54 if your going 727 with a 572 will have plenty of power. Yes you need to know the cam as mike said..

Last edited:
Kinda surprised your builder didn't ask you what gears you were going to use.

I kind of have the horse before the cart, the mini tubbing and rearend are currently being done and the fab guys wanted to know if I am going Gear Vendors. I have put out my engine and tranny plan to 3 builders and am waiting for estimates and meetings with them. This is the first time I have ever in my life had extra funds to do a build and now my head is going to explode from all the decisions.
Thanks for your responses I guess I need to do a lot more thinking....or maybe I'll just get hammered.:wtf:

Even if you don't do gear vendors now maybe you should have the floor made to allow you to put it in later?

not knowing details makes responses very subjective, but i can't imagine a 572 needing much gear; unless it's mega cammed.

What ever cam you use, you have a big air pump their. it will love a single Holley or Quick fuel 950. I sure would use a six speed behind that air monster..

Auto Transport Service
Back