• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dash lights not working !

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:06 AM
Reaction score
I'm making progress on the wiring of my car, "Jigsaw", my 1970 Charger.
I have the wiring under the dash done. The wiring on the engine side is connected to the bulkhead too. I get headlights low and high beam, taillights too. The turn signals are not connected.
The dash lights don't light up though.
The bulbs looked good. The wire plug for the panel dimmer had some ugly on the terminals. Can that be enough to stop the dash lights from working? The high beam light comes on.
Jiggy F 5A.JPG

I have literally the same problem on my '69 Satellite. I pulled a bulb and it seemed fine, but the only light that works on the dash is the high beam indicator.

First thing to is to verify that the bulbs are good, but you need to check the ground side as that is usually a suspect. The bulbs ground through the cluster to the dash frame and the dash frame to the cowl. This is a common problem as they lose contact over time. The bulbs get power from the panel dimmer switch but you need to really look at all of the connections and see where power is or isn't. I HIGHLY recommend getting a Power Probe, best money you will spend for electrical work.

Check the fuse, make sure you have brake lights as I believe they have the same fuse .. I maybe thing my 72 charger not my 70.. you should also have you turn signal wired in as you could end up chasing your tail.. make sure the dimmer switch is functioning properly as those are a common issue when they get old

Cluster ground? It's the "orange wire" circuit. Panel light switch is the switched source, maybe a tan wire, to fuse block, exits as orange...goes lots of places then.

Got a test light or meter, right?
With park lights check for power on the orange wire. If no power then check for power on the 3 amp fuse in the fuse box. If no power then check at the dimmer switch and if none then check the tan wire on the headlight switch.

Check the dimmer switch. They go bad. Check the feeds on the wire side (opposite the fuse side) of the bulk head block, i had a burnt connector there for my 71, took me weeks to find it. check the cluster ground. Then check the fuses.

Is the dash light switch new? I have seen old switches corrode on the contacts, just roll them up and down several times to clean them....

Check to see that you have voltage getting to the pin connector on the circuit board (FSM should show you which wire it is). If voltage present, the pin may be cracked or circuit trace broke. I had a few cracked and loose pins on mine that needed soldered for them to work.

If no voltage, inspect the dimmer. The resistor (spring) in the dimmer could be broke.

Auto Transport Service
Back