• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake and rear hazards stopped working yesterday

Mark1972

Local time
8:10 AM
Reaction score
For context, last year I had this problem. After many hours of sorting through everything, I found the signal switch wiring under the steering wheel to be the culprit. A wire that is riveted on came loose and touched another wire, causing the brake lights to stop working. A little solder and problem solved. Now, yesterday to be exact, after a nice drive I backed into the garage and found the rear brake lights not working. The rear hazards either. The signals both work, and all front lights work fine. The rear bulbs are dual filament, and are fine. There is obviously power getting back there to power the signals. I checked the wiring under the steering wheel again and it's fine. I checked the brake pedal relay and it's fine. I don't know where to go from here. Any thoughts?

If the turn signal switch on your car is anything like my 67, a broken switch will do all sorts of weird things. All my signals worked and half my brakes. New switch and everything was perfect

Check the white wire at the turn signal switch connector for brake pedal switched voltage. If present, this confirms the problem is in the turn signal switch.

Check the white wire at the turn signal switch connector for brake pedal switched voltage. If present, this confirms the problem is in the turn signal switch.
Just to be clear, I should put my meter on the white wire and press the brake, and if there is voltage, then the switch is bad?

The turn signal switch that is. If you have switched voltage from the brake light switch going to the turn signal switch (white wire) and the turn signals work but no brake lights, can only be a turn signal switch failure.

The turn signal switch that is. If you have switched voltage from the brake light switch going to the turn signal switch (white wire) and the turn signals work but no brake lights, can only be a turn signal switch failure.
I've ordered a new turn signal switch. Should be here today. Thank you for the help.

For context, last year I had this problem. After many hours of sorting through everything, I found the signal switch wiring under the steering wheel to be the culprit. A wire that is riveted on came loose and touched another wire, causing the brake lights to stop working. A little solder and problem solved. Now, yesterday to be exact, after a nice drive I backed into the garage and found the rear brake lights not working. The rear hazards either. The signals both work, and all front lights work fine. The rear bulbs are dual filament, and are fine. There is obviously power getting back there to power the signals. I checked the wiring under the steering wheel again and it's fine. I checked the brake pedal relay and it's fine. I don't know where to go from here. Any thoughts?
Does "BOO Switch" work as should?

Could be as simple as a blown fuse, if two wires shorted out.

Auto Transport Service
Back