• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dash / radio has power w key out

Potts

Local time
4:31 AM
Reaction score
Hi,
My friends 70 Superbird Rally dash lights stay on and radio has power with the ignition key removed.
He replaced the headlight switch with an NOS, condition the same.
Trying to help him.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Potts

Hi,
My friends 70 Superbird Rally dash lights stay on and radio has power with the ignition key removed.
He replaced the headlight switch with an NOS, condition the same.
Trying to help him.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Potts
1st off I am in no way a auto electrician.
That said,
Not trying to be a smart azz but has he tried turning the dash/dome light off and on ?
That switch should always have power even with key off.
If the dash switch is not switched on or rotated i would grab a test light and start at the switch plug ,if it just has one hot feed i would try another switch
I do not have a wire schematic for a 70 B body but the radio could be a separate problem as in sometime it may have been replaced and just fed 12 volts off the wrong source.
Plus just because , it's a good time to inspect the bulk head connection and clean and grease. Most auto electric problems are ground related , also check dash grounds for voltage ( may be dim on the tester ).
Good luck.

1st off I am in no way a auto electrician.
That said,
Not trying to be a smart azz but has he tried turning the dash/dome light off and on ?
That switch should always have power even with key off.
If the dash switch is not switched on or rotated i would grab a test light and start at the switch plug ,if it just has one hot feed i would try another switch
I do not have a wire schematic for a 70 B body but the radio could be a separate problem as in sometime it may have been replaced and just fed 12 volts off the wrong source.
Plus just because , it's a good time to inspect the bulk head connection and clean and grease. Most auto electric problems are ground related , also check dash grounds for voltage ( may be dim on the tester ).
Good luck.
Thanks for responding.
Yes, I'm sure many problems can be solved at the bulkhead connector or bad grounds.
Good point on the constant power to the dome.
Unfortunately the car is 7 hours from us right now, we will have to get to it at the end of the summer.
Thanks,
Potts

Auto Transport Service
Back