• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dash wiring upgrades, Ammeter bypass, Dakota Digital guage cluster install...

Magic Unicorns????:eek:ccasion14:

I was wondering why the oil pressure reads so high with the new guages. It pegs at 80 lbs and wasn't dropping much as the engine warmed up. The system has a program that tells the resistance readings to test for any errors. I didn't get to test the system today but I did get the engine warmed up. The oil pressure reading did drop some once the engine was warm. I'm just used to the mechanical unit that read approx 35-40 at idle in gear. This new one hasn't dropped below 50. I didn't drive the car yet so maybe as the oil gets hot it may read lower on the guage.
I recalibrated the gas guage AGAIN and was pissed when the guage stopped at 3/4 even with the tank full. This was the same crap I dealt with before with the stock guages. The display shows the Ohm readings during calibration. I had 76 at empty, 63 at 1/3 tank, 34 at 2/3 tank and 19 full. I am not pleased at the idea of sucking out the tank and starting over. I've done it twice now. The other way to calibrate this is to have the sender out of the tank. I'd probably put the wife in the car and put it on the lift, then have her press buttons while I move the sender from underneath.
Anyhow, the guages look nice. I'll calibrate the speedometer soon. The new rear view mirror showed the proper temperature as expected. I have to drive it to calibrate the compass in it.
Finally, the new XV racing 3 point seat belts are friggin cool. The retractors are smooth and the belts are no longer across my neck! I removed the Snayk Oyl set and boxed them up for a future project.

Hey Kern I went through the same thing when I set up my fuel gauge. Had me crazy confused, then I went back to basics. It turned out that I had properly calibrated the "Custom" setting for the Fuel Gauge, but had not selected "Custom". In other words, the parameters were in right but the gauge I was viewing on the screen was one of the others - GM 0-90, or something else. If you look at the list in the fuel gauge setup instructions you'll see they list 10 "off the shelf" settings and then Custom. If you calibrate using Custom, you have to then select Custom as the one to view. Fixed the problem instantly...

Greg

Thanks, I'll check that out.

A guy on Moparts sent me a Dodge TSB that was printed in November 1970. It pertained to the very issue we have often read about: Gas guage not reading full when tank is full. It showed how the fix is often as simple as bending the fuel line on the sender so that the filter rests against the bottom of the tank.
I took my sender out today and laid it on the table. I took a Sharpie and traced the outline on a piece of cardboard. I then bent the 3/8" line several times until the filter end sat too low and caused the top side of the mounting flange to sit off of the tank. I took some of the bend back out until the flange fit right. THEN I pulled it back out to check it against the original shape that I outlined. I had actually bent it 1 1/4" !
The sender tested at 74 Ohms out of the tank empty and 11.8 full.

Attachments

• Fuel sender TSB 1.jpg
    Fuel sender TSB 1.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 160
  • Fuel sender TSB.jpg
    Fuel sender TSB.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 156
Auto Transport Service
Back