• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DASHLIGHT stays ON!

RRcrazy

Local time
6:32 AM
Reaction score
1970 Roadrunner with a dashlight that stays on draining the battery. Has anyone had this problem and knows how to fix it?

Thanks.

Dash light? Do you mean the lights in the gauge cluster that illuminate the gauges that should come on and go off with the lights?

there are 2 kinds of dash lights on a 70 RR the twist in kind...( lights up the 4 gauges located in the circuit board )...and the wired ones..( lights up the tach and speedo). which one is staying on?

Not sure which are staying on...since last owner took all the bulbs out. I have noticed something weird though, when I turned on the headlights and turned them off the marker lights stayed on but were dim. When i messed with the dimmer switch (the wheel) the marker lights got brighter and dimmer???? Looks like it might be the switches ?????? somebody screwed up the wiring??? Getting into it this weekend. Disconnected the battery as the switch seemed to be warming up. HELP

maybe not the cause but if the switch is heating up it could be shorting across that and keeping the lights on, won't explain the change in brightness when turned but it's a good place to start. yer best best is to rip it all out and start a new before something lights up and you lose yer car to an electrical fire because of the faulty wiring hack job.

get rid of that dimmer switch. theres an internal connection going on inside there that shouldnt be. easy to change if youre a contortionist and have patience without taking out the whole dash. loosen the gauge cluster and wiggle the drivers side out til you can see the screws on the dimmer. use a stubby screwdriver to remove dimmer screws,,,,, then reverse to install!

Its scary under there.....

get rid of that dimmer switch. theres an internal connection going on inside there that shouldnt be. easy to change if youre a contortionist and have patience without taking out the whole dash. loosen the gauge cluster and wiggle the drivers side out til you can see the screws on the dimmer. use a stubby screwdriver to remove dimmer screws,,,,, then reverse to install!

Yep was standing on my head between the clutch and brake peddle this weekend.., it a bloody mess previous owners didnt know much about electrical. I think it might be time to order a new harness......it looks that bad. I dont know if its bleedover from the switch or the hatchet job over the years with adding power antenna, stereo ect. . ect.. Have disconnected the battery when shes sitting. :eek:

I been damn lucky with my 70 RR wiring. everything in that car works electrically...well...the pissers DID work until i rebuilt the dash. now they dont for some stupid reason. i somehow lost power to the button....and cant seem to locate the prob......not worried tho...the car never sees the rain...and ill find it eventually. ....when im feelin froggy and want to be bent like a pretzel.....aint easy getting 6-5 inches and 270 pounds under there.....i need to go on a freekin diet im thinkin !

Time to find small friends

I been damn lucky with my 70 RR wiring. everything in that car works electrically...well...the pissers DID work until i rebuilt the dash. now they dont for some stupid reason. i somehow lost power to the button....and cant seem to locate the prob......not worried tho...the car never sees the rain...and ill find it eventually. ....when im feelin froggy and want to be bent like a pretzel.....aint easy getting 6-5 inches and 270 pounds under there.....i need to go on a freekin diet im thinkin !

Time to find small friends who know electrical. I may take yoga to prepare for my switch out of the old harness.:headbang:

Time to find small friends who know electrical. I may take yoga to prepare for my switch out of the old harness.:headbang:
it's like helping give birth to a sharp octopus in reverse 3-4 times depending on how you manage to measure everything. my advice is to keep the old harness for reference on length and make sure the wires are warm before you try and move them about when all bundled together. also don't black tape them til they are in, use zip ties to let them flow and move into place. and most importantly, test everything before you install it. tracing wires sucks!

Auto Transport Service
Back