• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dead Head OK?

Virg464

Local time
6:34 PM
Reaction score
Putting a car together strictly for drag racing. It came with parts for a fuel system (dead-head, no return). It has a holley regulator, and a mallory elec pump (140 gph), and a 10 gal fuel cell. I've read that one of the issues is the fuel heating up in a dead-head sys (I assume that's in longer duration runs times). My question, since I've never run anything other than OEM fuel systems is; is there an issue with running a dead-head system on a race-only car since there won't be any long run times?

All input will be appreciated.

Putting a car together strictly for drag racing. It came with parts for a fuel system (dead-head, no return). It has a holley regulator, and a mallory elec pump (140 gph), and a 10 gal fuel cell. I've read that one of the issues is the fuel heating up in a dead-head sys (I assume that's in longer duration runs times). My question, since I've never run anything other than OEM fuel systems is; is there an issue with running a dead-head system on a race-only car since there won't be any long run times?

I have used the same system on my 493 street car, for 41 years now. Works fine.
Mike

That's all we ever ran. Run what you have and you can always adjust if needed.

I ran a dead head system for many years. But when I upgraded the fuel system I decided to get a return style regulator. I'm glad I did, it puts less strain on the pump which will keep it cooler and extend the life of the pump.

I ran a dead head system for many years. But when I upgraded the fuel system I decided to get a return style regulator. I'm glad I did, it puts less strain on the pump which will keep it cooler and extend the life of the pump.
And how do you know that? Did you have temperature probes to tell you the actual temperatures?

Well when I put the return regulator on. It actually made the pump sound better. And fuel pressure was more consistent. And it's been proven.

Well when I put the return regulator on. It actually made the pump sound better. And fuel pressure was more consistent. And it's been proven.
What pump and regulator were you running?

i ran as you call it a dead head system since the late 60s never a problem on all my cars if you want to cool your gas install a cool can and pack it with dry ice

I have used the same system on my 493 street car, for 41 years now. Works fine.
Dead Head here too.Not as long as Mike, for me it was about 20+ years on my Dart drag car.

I've run both. The plumbing for a return system is more involved. Return needs to be large enough to flow without restriction. Otherwise the pressure will creep. My current system returns with a preset regulator just after the pump back into the cell. Then a single -10 going forward to a second regulator. Works very well. My street car runs a deadhead system. No issue there either. If you look many factory fuel injection cars are now deadhead. If it was a big issue would they do that?
Doug

I ran that Mallory pump, actually have one for sale, and I used a return regulator with it. I can't recall why, but I think I was told those pumps don't like a dead head system? Can't recall. Mine was for my nitrous system and kept at 10 psi for tuning consistancy. Pressure remained constant. 6 an supply and 6an return is what I used. It is a great pump.

I've run both. The plumbing for a return system is more involved. Return needs to be large enough to flow without restriction. Otherwise the pressure will creep. My current system returns with a preset regulator just after the pump back into the cell. Then a single -10 going forward to a second regulator. Works very well. My street car runs a deadhead system. No issue there either. If you look many factory fuel injection cars are now deadhead. If it was a big issue would they do that?
Doug
I agree with the exception that the newer cars are regulated with a bypass built into the fuel pump assembly.

Doug
The new cars are only running deadhead now due to PWM (pulse width modulation) fuel pumps. That keeps them from "over-working" while at lower fuel demand and thus lower heat and longer life.

There are plenty of factory dead head systems without PWM. The PWM believe it or not was a gas milage deal to lower current draw from the alternator. Along with the grille shutter and a bunch of other hokey stuff. Tax credits and mileage are the OEM's friend.
Doug

Dead head systems are fine especially if your going to be running race gas. If your going to be using pump gas than you may want to consider a return style system. Ever since they started adding ethanol to pump gas it has lowered it's boiling point. With a dead head system and pump gas you could experience some issues if the fuel gets to hot.

Dead head systems are fine especially if your going to be running race gas. If your going to be using pump gas than you may want to consider a return style system. Ever since they started adding ethanol to pump gas it has lowered it's boiling point. With a dead head system and pump gas you could experience some issues if the fuel gets to hot.
Good to know thanks.

ive run a dead head style system on my street machine for 30 years and have had very little trouble with it, but i have had trouble including fuel pressure creeping up as well as noisy fuel pump and pump failure one time. I have recently gone to a return line style system and the pump seems quieter and the fuel pressure is steady, now for a drag race only car? Probably your dead head system will be fine since you dont run the car for very long.

I prefer a return style regulator as it will keep the pump cooler, and make it last longer.

Auto Transport Service
Back