• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DePouli's 1969 Charger 318

Accomplished the goal for today.... reunited motor and trans to the car.... Someone remind me to tighten everything later...I'm heading for the liquor cabinet...
IMG_20180120_102640.jpg
IMG_20180120_105627.jpg

IMG_20180120_111949.jpg
IMG_20180120_113223.jpg

IMG_20180120_134908.jpg
IMG_20180120_143846.jpg

IMG_20180120_143849.jpg
IMG_20180120_143858.jpg

Last edited:
Good job; also with blue you’ll see an oil leak easily. Sorry just had to say it.

Correct! Did you use the rope caulk around the outside of the foam seal that wraps around the pivot? So when the foam seal meets the cowl the rope seal is an additional seal around the inside hole....

The bolt direction are the only important aspect when installing the mounts and the service manual shows this....

Looking great Brian!

ROPE SEAL????? I did not, did not realize there was one.

Bolt direction, hmm, will look at the manual on that too.

I just installed it... you mean I was supposed to think too.... ugh!! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Good job; also with blue you’ll see an oil leak easily. Sorry just had to say it.

It's a LOT of blue!!!

Definitely need to get some dressing on the motor to break up all the blue.

Drips
Oil
Drops
Grease
Everywhere

Last edited:
Helper approved

Brake pedal assembly and MC installed

Door hinges back on too.

Tomorrow wiper motor ...maybe

IMG_20180120_155057.jpg
IMG_20180120_174735.jpg
IMG_20180120_174745.jpg
IMG_20180120_174751.jpg

Installed the windshield molding clips, but I need some help on the rear. I have the holes for the clips at the top of the rear (6 of them), but the holes for the sides and bottom were lost with the metal work.

How many clips should be needed for the rear? Same clips at the front (the smaller ones)? Spaced about 6 3/4" apart CL to CL?

IMG_20180121_125035.jpg
IMG_20180121_125442.jpg

Installed the windshield molding clips, but I need some help on the rear. I have the holes for the clips at the top of the rear (6 of them), but the holes for the sides and bottom were lost with the metal work.

How many clips should be needed for the rear? Same clips at the front (the smaller ones)? Spaced about 6 3/4" apart CL to CL?

View attachment 562751 View attachment 562753

@moparnation74 to the white courtesy phone! :)

They are different and the repops had to be tweaked on Justin's rear window for the trim to work. It may or may not be the same issue as the GTX and Charger may be different. He would know. And it makes a difference in how thick the butyl tape needs to be to bring the glass up to the moulding.

Great work on the motor! Looks very nice back in the car.

@moparnation74 to the white courtesy phone! :)

They are different and the repops had to be tweaked on Justin's rear window for the trim to work. It may or may not be the same issue as the GTX and Charger may be different. He would know. And it makes a difference in how thick the butyl tape needs to be to bring the glass up to the moulding.

Great work on the motor! Looks very nice back in the car.
Thanks for the invite Mark!

The charger clips are a non issue....if only the Plymouth trim utilized those clips but they didn't and can be used.....

http://www.autometaldirect.com/sout...ld-molding-clip-set-68-70-charger-p-3619.html

Here is a good thread to look at...Bill is good peeps!
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,43619.0.html

5/16 rope seal is the correct size...3/8 will make the trim install a nightmare....be sure to use the primer on the glass that mates with the rope seal to bond....

The corner trim is a PITA....be sure to have the corners on the correct side. They are not the same...one leg is longer than the other leg....

Justin

Thanks all. That thread with the blue tape where the clips are is just what the doctor ordered.

I've been given the name of a glass guy and I feel he will be worth every penny to install the glass as i have no desire what so ever to do that myself...

goofed around with various small tasks today as we had visitors mid-day.

Tightened the trans cross member and associated stuff.

Replaced floor pan plugs.

hung the exhaust manifolds, but didn't tighten

installed the high beam switch

placed the wiper motor in place but need rubber pieces first...hardware store Monday...

Ok run into another lack of photos nor good descriptions in the shop manual or part manual.

I'm trying to mount the AC compressor back and I just can't figure it out or...

Well I think this with a small roller idler is supposed to go here?
IMG_20180127_162157.jpg
IMG_20180127_162139.jpg

But if that's where it goes, then the bolt was installed backwards by Classic Air. If so how hard is it to take the compressor pulley off??? I really didn't want to mess with that hence why I sent it to be done by someone else...
IMG_20180127_162104.jpg

Then this braket...no clue where it goes...
IMG_20180127_162047.jpg

I'm pretty sure this with the larger idler pulley goes here?
IMG_20180127_162037.jpg

If anyone can help please it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I also manage to break my freashly rebuilt heater Vale control...the capillary tube... repair was too fragile... So looking for a NOS or good used one...

I did manage to get the heater box in... That was a job...I had to have my two boys help with that one. I got the correct gold cad nuts coming from DMT.

IMG_20180127_163110.jpg
IMG_20180127_163058.jpg

Also got the wiper motor installed, need the gold cad nuts for that but for now stainless installed.

Also hung the sway bar off the K frame but have hooked it to the lower control arms.

Got the lower pulley installed on the balancer too.

Last edited:
PS the carb sitting on the intake is just for start up. It was on the car when I disassembled so I know it works, but I have a nice rebuilt one ready to go on after initial start up.

Well I figured out the mystery bracket today... It's for the power steering pump.

IMG_20180128_145456.jpg

I installed all the clips on the rear, well except that when doing the snap center punch for drilling the holes I broke one repair...
IMG_20180128_131211.jpg

That black line is a hole...so when it goes back to the shop for final paint I will have them repair it again, then install rear window...then paint...so I'm glad I did thing the way I did...would be sick if I was final painted and had to fix just that.

I'm convinced that bolt on the AC compressor is backwards. I have two bolt I took off and kept and only need one now...so...I happen to be flying to Tampa this week and Classic Air is right by the airport...I sense an opportunity...

I worked on the dash some too getting the upper pad, vents, Ash tray and glovebox installed...just realized no one reproduces the lower dash pads for cars with AC... Mine is NOT in good shape...any sources I should try?

Brian not sure exactly what your saying on the AC bracket but the bracket is held on with the bolts through the bracket and the nuts are to the rear of the engine. Those brackets are a bit of a puzzle with AC. When you get back I can give you all the photos you need for how all the brackets and bolts go on my AC 318.

Nice progress! Are you going to make the spring show at the speedway, or are you thinking fall show?

Brian not sure exactly what your saying on the AC bracket but the bracket is held on with the bolts through the bracket and the nuts are to the rear of the engine. Those brackets are a bit of a puzzle with AC. When you get back I can give you all the photos you need for how all the brackets and bolts go on my AC 318.

Sure I'd love photos. I have some honey-do's this morning, but plan on working on the car this afternoon and tomorrow. I did bring the compressor with me to Tampa (good thing I get my first checked back free) and just had them remove the bolt in question.

Nice progress! Are you going to make the spring show at the speedway, or are you thinking fall show?

Sure I'll make it in 2 months to Autofair....with my 38 Buicks:lol:...My stretch goal is Hershey this year, but we will see...but really really want it done for Spring Autofair '19 (50 year anniversary of the model year) so I can at least go for my first Junior and then my Senior at Hershey '19.

I am thinking about going to Chrysler's at Carlisle this summer to shop. I've never been and will surely need some parts that hopefully could be found there. And maybe photo some cars to help with putting things back together (or fixing what I put together wrong)

Auto Transport Service
Back