• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Diff off set

Bluenoser

Local time
1:32 PM
Reaction score
Hello all: First posting. I have a 66 Charger with a 361 engine. Basically all stock. Somewhat rare car in my neck of the woods. My issue is with the 8 & 3/4 diff. The diff. hosing is mounted off center. The diff housing is longer on the left side from the u bolts to the backing plate. There is more clearance between the inner tire sidewall on the left side than the rt. side. This cause the rt. tire to scrape the leaf spring on the inner sidewall on heavy slow speed turns where there is a lot of body roll to the rt. The springs and center bolts are ok and centered in the spring plates on the housing and the lower spring plate as well. I'm running 275 60 15 tires. I see nothing broken or shifted. I have been told by some that this normal. Just wondering what is out there for info, opinions. Thanks.

First of all, welcome aboard from NJ. I had a 66 Charger my self some 42 years ago. I loved the car but unfortunately mine had a 318 in it and did not have the 8 & 3/4 rear. From an aspect of offset though, mine must have been the same. I ran L-60 tires on the rear and had no trouble rubbing at all. I wish I could be of more help but I'm sure someone will chime in!
Good Luck, It looks nice in you avatar. I know someone's going to ask so I'll do it now: please post some more pictures as we love car ****!

The entire drive train is shifted for steering gear clearance. Perhaps a rear antisway bar will help or smaller tires. Wheel offset changes may fix your problem also. If you are using steel rims, the rim to center welds can be cut and offset adjusted as desired.
Mike

Welcome to the forum.....

If everything appears untouched than the offset of the differential is normal

The entire driveline is not offset. Just the engine. This accomplishes two things. Steer box clearance and driveshaft angle.

I was having lunch with Tom Hoover years ago and this topic came up. I asked about assembly line tolerances. His reply was "We keep um real tight,+ or - 2 inches or so." He wasn't joking that much.You will find just about no 2 Mopars are the same. This is true when checking for rear tire clearances. One wheelhouse is always tighter than the other on many cars. Very common.
Nice 66. And a 361 to boot. I have a 361 in the works for my 63.Hope you keep it. I like different.

You could loosen the U bolts, and try to shift the rear over, so it's the same on both sides. Might need to open up the U bolt plate centering hole a little.

The engine and driveline all the way back are offset to the passenger side about 1-1/2" give or take. Where this offset is corrected is in the carrier of the 8-3/4... The pinion shaft is offset enabling the axle housing to be centered, and the axles to be the same length... Not that Chrysler couldn't have installed it a little wonky but your wheels should be in the same spot on both sides or at least really really close... if you don't mind the little rubbing and it's not causing other problems you can probably leave it be, otherwise it may warrant further investigation.

Here's a center section from a '68 8-3/4, to show the offset.. your 66 should be the same
20180524_072924.jpg

Is the bearing adjuster on rubbing side or other

The engine and driveline all the way back are offset to the passenger side about 1-1/2" give or take. Where this offset is corrected is in the carrier of the 8-3/4... The pinion shaft is offset enabling the axle housing to be centered, and the axles to be the same length... Not that Chrysler couldn't have installed it a little wonky but your wheels should be in the same spot on both sides or at least really really close... if you don't mind the little rubbing and it's not causing other problems you can probably leave it be, otherwise it may warrant further investigation.

Here's a center section from a '68 8-3/4, to show the offset.. your 66 should be the same
View attachment 609384
Thanks Beanhead, and thanks to all who replied. Some what divided opinions as too why it is offset. I would never had know had I not switched to wider tires and the Magnum 500 wheels. The wheels are not in the same place for sure, I think, at this point, I will leave it. 493 Mike's suggestion of a sway bar is a good idea. Thanks.

Welcome
67 with 275/60/15's as well. Running Crager SS's on a 4 in back space. I have a good inch or more, from my tire to the springs.I'am wondering if mathematics on the offset of your Magnums, is off.

Simple solution. If it is rubbing the leaf spring and you have clearance to the fender, run a small spacer on the rubbing side. I'm running the most tire i can get under my car and using a 1/4" spacer on one side and 3/16 on the other. As others have said production tolerances are very common. If it were rubbing on the fender, that is a much tougher proglem to deal with.
If it is only rubbing slightly occasionally, a 1/4 spacer will solve your problem.

Welcome to the site! Yup, like mentioned above, the rear end housing is centered with the off set coming from the 3rd member/center section. Had a 71 Cuda with the body being off set enough to where the same size tires wouldn't fit just right on the right side of the car. The frame was square and the driveline was ok too but there was just less clearance with the body panels. The car had never been wrecked either. I'm glad I tried the custom made wheels on it before welding up the centers. Ended up having a 1/2" less back space on the right than the left lol

The center of the pinion is in the center of the car no matter what it looks like if the carrier is not installed. The center of the trans tailshaft along with the engine is offset.

You cannot run a driveshaft straight on.

Chevy and Ford run a centered engine and offset the diff.

Last edited:
The center of the pinion is in the center of the car no matter what it looks like if the carrier is not installed. The center of the trans tailshaft along with the engine is offset.

Its not an opinion its a fact
Pinion angle (vertical alignment or misalignment) along with some side to side offset is usually there in a Mopar. Can't remember what the amount of offset the engine is (1 1/2"?) but even though the pinion center line looks to be centered in the car, it's not. Measure the center line of the drive shaft tunnel and you will find it's not centered either. The center line of the pinion isn't exactly centered with the engine/trans center line but it's not that far off.

Welcome
67 with 275/60/15's as well. Running Crager SS's on a 4 in back space. I have a good inch or more, from my tire to the springs.I'am wondering if mathematics on the offset of your Magnums, is off.
Thanks. Perhaps the wheels are off, anything is poss. I'm taking the wheels off tomorrow to rebalance them, will swap sides as they only have about 100 miles on them. I think to, as 33 imp suggested a small spacer will do. I will try a 3/16 spacer. I like the look of the 275's and don't want to go smaller tires. This discussion could go on for some time with various suggestions and solutions. Thanks again to all who have chimed in.

Well..I'll let the people reading this make their own judgment

All measurements taken from the inside edge of the axle housing flanges-'68 B body

-from the driver side flange
20180524_111600.jpg

-from the pass. side flange
20180524_111533.jpg

--Measurement from either side to center of housing is 27-1/4"

The designed -and required offset- for the drive shaft is -vertical-. That is the movement encountered as the rear suspension moves up and down (vertically).
In running position that offset is needed to allow the needle bearings to roll far enough for proper lube cycling. (with no offset the bearings would tend to take a seat). Some small horizontal misalignment can be tolerated but the less the better.

A universal drive shaft that is offset in two directions is hard on the u-joint bearings and sometimes can be the source of a vibration chase with a perfectly balanced drive shaft.----So -any horizontal offset is unintentional.--The more there is the bigger the negative effects will be.

Tape meaures dont lie. I stand corrected
Thanks for that, wasn't trying to take a personal shot at ya just wanted to get the right info out there...so FBBO can continue to kick all other sites right in the family jewels!:D

Auto Transport Service
Back