• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Diff Yoke swap

Hubbarocks

Local time
4:51 AM
Reaction score
I did some searching around within the forum but didnt really see the answer i was looking for. thought i'd ask quick as i think i'm just over thinking the situation.

I'm replacing my drive shaft from 3 " to 3.5" Aluminum with larger U joints and of course comes in a replacing the differential's yoke. If im reading thur the service manual correctly, it indicates i'd need to readjust the preload if i'm removing the yoke, but i dont think it's completely necessary ?? i've pulled the yoke plenty times before on this car and others to replace the seal.

i've normally marked the nut & pinion and then simply lined up the marks when reinstalling the yoke. (FSM does mention this as well) never re-set the preload & Never ran into any issues before.

is this acceptable? any tips would be appreciated.

1969 charger
8 3/4" (489 case) rear end

thanks in advance
-Hubba

Do you know how crush sleeves work

best i know is , they crush as you'd set the preload. but if you over crush them, you can wreck the bearing / pinion / gears etc. never had the pleasure of installing or rebuilding a 3 rd member. i had a shop build mine ... 20 years ago.

With a 489, if you are putting on a different yoke, you need to measure both yokes from the inside end to the surface the nut rides on. If they are different, the preload will be different, if you just line up the dots.

I have posted before. The easy way to do this without disassembly is to add a .010" shim of the correct ID and OD to the end of the crush sleeve under the front pinion bearing. Then crush the sleeve more to achieve the correct preload. I have done this many times over the years and it works fine.
Mike

How do you get the bearing out with the slinger
I have posted before. The easy way to do this without disassembly is to add a .010" shim of the correct ID and OD to the end of the crush sleeve under the front pinion bearing. Then crush the sleeve more to achieve the correct preload. I have done this many times over the years and it works fine.
Mike

thanks for the feed back all. so i sat down and read the entire 8 3/4" section in my FSM last night. They make mention of a small pinion , large pinion and large pinion with crush sleeve. BUT they dont make mention of how to identify the difference that i saw. Is there a way to tell , just by viewing externally? i may not have a crush sleeve at all then , sounds right ? or do they all have crush sleeves... ? now i'm even more confused.

493 Mike , i'd like to read the post you mention , do you recall the subject and i'll see if i can find it.

Last edited:
From the factory, the 489 is the only one with a crush sleeve. There are solid sleeves with shims available from the aftermarket. Unless someone has been in there and replaced it with a solid one, then you have a crush sleeve.

Auto Transport Service
Back