• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disassembling Steering Column

JimKueneman

Local time
9:28 PM
Reaction score
The manual warns of using special tools to disassemble the column on my Coronet. All I want to do is disassemble it enough to bead blast and paint the tube and cover. Are the tools necessary? Can I get it apart enough to paint it without the tools?

Jim

Last edited:
Jim,
I've taken apart and reassembled several mopar columns without special tools. Just take some pics during disassembly. Is this a column shift or floor shift column?

Oh yea they are a cinch to do. If you have any questions when disassembling it shoot me a pm

The first thing to do after removing the wheel is to remove the signal switch then remove the snap ring from the shaft then pull it out from the lower end of the column. From there you should be able to figure it out as you go. I just finished the one in my bee last week turned out great!

image.jpg
Easy as 123...

I used an aluminum scraper to whack the new bearing on still available at the dealer < 20$
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I just did mine (a few times) using the "special tools", but this may help. You need to be SUPER SURE you don't hit/tap/bump on either end of the main shaft or the plastic "shear pins" (to collapse the column in a wreck) will break since they're super flimsy. I didn't use the special "pin press" to take the lock collar off. I just made sure I had the shaft/column well supported with wood blocks before driving it out with a punch. Pulling the shaft/collar at the top bearing apart can be tricky. My original bearing/seal at the collar just about fell out, but after I'd put the new one in I needed the special "bearing press tool" to get it back apart the second time. So basically, if you can get that top bearing/seal out of the steering collar up top you don't really need the tools.... but they sure make it easier.

Question on reassembly. When I took it out I unbolted the large flange from the firewall the pulled it out. That was a PIA with the heater box, brake frame, etc. Is it possible to install the large plate in the firewall then just run the tube through the plate in a straight shot when installing the column and then just bolt the small collar to the large plate? It seems like it should work.

You have to pull the wires out of the connector to change a turn signal switch on these cars?! Bizarre....

Yea with the later models they changed the connectector to be a radius so it come through by the tube and collar. On yours you gotta release the wires from the connetor.

Must be too late. What am I missing. On the cover that has the upper bearing there are 2 square head bolts that have castle nuts. There are slots in the back side for the square head to lock into so it won't spin. These bolts have a shoulder about half way down the bolt. These bolts don't seems to connect anything together. I did not take a photo of this level (dumb me). When I slide the bolt in the slot the nut will bottom on the shoulder of the bolt before it tightens (though it is not holding anything anyway). What am I missing. What are these bolts suppose to hold together? This is console shift automatic.

Never mind the manual finally made sense and I now see how it works. Very interesting design. Someone was being innovative I guess.

Jim,
I meant to tell you about them bolts when you first posted but glad you got them figured out

Auto Transport Service
Back