• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disassembly of window regulator (power windows)

mferraro76

Local time
5:12 PM
Reaction score
I have this thing almost completely apart but how do you get the moving arm off the backing plate? is this even possible?

it is so stiff, an hour with pb blaster and brake cleaner - no success. the old grease is almost rock hard. i figure the only way to free it up is to take it apart and degrease. i'm open to suggestions on this.

You might try boiling it ( while the wife is out, natch ).

will that just soften the grease? it looks like it might be pressed together but i don't want to damage it taking it apart.

I don't have one in front of me at the moment, but if memory serves they're usually peened together. Yes, boiling it should loosen up the grease and hopefully float it off of the mechanism.

what about lubing them back up - the regulators might be easier but the wiper pivots?

what about lubing them back up - the regulators might be easier but the wiper pivots?

True - but remember, when these cars were sold new, they were daily drivers and the wipers we meant to be used often. When we restore a car today, they rarely see rain. That's not to say the wipers don't matter, just that they won't see the use the once did.

That said, I try a dry heat first (heat gun, oven) to see if they loosen up. You could always soak them in a tub of light oil in the hopes that some would creep down inside.

Or just grind the peened over part off, take them apart, lube them up, reassemble and weld the pivot back onto the arm. It's not like you're likely to have to do this again. Even if you were, you'd simply grind the weld down and repeat.

Auto Transport Service
Back