• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disc brake conversion, Aftermarket vs Original

Scott72GTX

Local time
11:14 AM
Reaction score
I am considering upgrading my 71 Roadrunner to Power disc brakes up front. I currently have manual drum brakes. Which do you think is the best way? Aftermarket or OEM style. I am leaning to the OEM style, as I want it to look like it belongs there. Any thoughts?
What should I pay for a complete OEM set up? Thanks!

The 1973 up single piston slider type is very common and used well into the 80's FMJ body cars. Used parts used to be the way it was done before. Now places like Jegs and Summit have kits using the factory type parts starting around $600.Something to think about.

Another option is to get a kit from Cass at Doctor Diff. He has various kits for swapping to disc brakes from drums, and can supply you with everything you will need. He knows our Mopars really well, and has been really helpful to me. I bought everything I needed from him to convert my '69 Charger from drums to discs.

I went from manual drums to manual disks though, but I'm sure he could help you go to power brakes though too

Scott:

As mentioned Dr. Diff or even Wayne "The Ram Man". BOTH are very knowledgeable and know their stuff. I have a '71 RR with power drums. I went with Cass, A.K.A "Dr. Diff" for my front disc upgrade and they're OE 11.75" front discs from an A-body or Diplomat and parts are readily available still. Dr. Diff's kit is complete and if in need of info or am missing something, he is the one who often answers the phone. I kept the rear drums and rebuilt everything. I'd source the Midland power booster and have it rebuilt. I don't like the aftermarket boosters just because they're more than likely a GM little 9" booster:wtf:

20140118_132455.jpg Brake.jpg IMG_0509.jpg

Scott:

As mentioned Dr. Diff or even Wayne "The Ram Man". BOTH are very knowledgeable and know their stuff. I have a '71 RR with power drums. I went with Cass, A.K.A "Dr. Diff" for my front disc upgrade and they're OE 11.75" front discs from an A-body or Diplomat and parts are readily available still. Dr. Diff's kit is complete and if in need of info or am missing something, he is the one who often answers the phone. I kept the rear drums and rebuilt everything. I'd source the Midland power booster and have it rebuilt. I don't like the aftermarket boosters just because they're more than likely a GM little 9" booster:wtf:

View attachment 683967 View attachment 683968 View attachment 683969[/QUOTE

I went to Dr. Diff's web page and I am liking the set up. I like that the proportion valve is an OE style. Thanks!

Go with oem type via Dr Diff - In my opinion, best upgrade you can do to your car. I would go power as well. I lucked out and found an original rebuilt booster on ebay, but the similar looking repos are available inexpensively.

And if you are going to go powered, consider hydroboost as well.

I am considering upgrading my 71 Roadrunner to Power disc brakes up front. I currently have manual drum brakes. Which do you think is the best way? Aftermarket or OEM style. I am leaning to the OEM style, as I want it to look like it belongs there. Any thoughts?
What should I pay for a complete OEM set up? Thanks!

First question is what wheels do you have on the car? If you have a 15 inch or larger wheel that will accept a factory 11.75 rotor then I'd go straight to the 11.75 inch setup. You could piece it all together from wrecking yards and Craigslist but it is easier for a non-expert to just call Doctor Diff and get the parts shipped to you in a box.

You don't really need power brakes if you use the larger 11.75 rotors. Manual disc brakes work okay even on a B body car if you have the larger rotors and some good brake pads. Having big drums in the rear will help also so take a look at converting to the bigger 11 drums if you have something smaller on there now.

I already have my disck brake conversion from an a body but just in case I already have an extra set of original spindles, someone here grant me a gold membership and here in Mexico we say you pay a favor with a favor so there are yours if you want them for free pay for shipping only.

With so many choices available it depends on your wallet,,,,how much you weigh,,and how fast the car is.How is the car driven??
I have the SSBC front manual discos and dana drums out back,so rear disc is in my future with the speed I'm going.

6.16.13 005.jpg 6.16.13 006.jpg 6.16.13 007.jpg 6.16.13 008.jpg 6.16.13 009.jpg

I'm going to have the take off setup on my 72 charger I'm switching to wilwoods and will be loosing the stock disc stuff if I remember correctly it was all new newish it's been sitting awhile. I would be interested in your old spindles though if your getting rid of them .

I just finished the power front disc conversion on my RR and used The Right Stuff kit from summit. I would definitely recommend an OEM style kit.

I like going with systems that allow easy to find replacement parts. Especially on a weekend in a rural area where boutique units would be an issue. OE based are my choice. Thats why I purchased the Doc's stuff which is 03-7 Stang GT based and easy to find.

Thanks everyone for your help! I am going to go with the 11.75 discs up front and I’m not going to upgrade to power brakes. I think it will be a great improvement. Thanks again!

image.jpg
I have 74 Duster spindles with pin type 79 St-Regis 11.75 adapters and no booster with 15" Diplomat wheels. Just perfect.....

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back