• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disc brake conversion on 66 Satellite

hemistix66

Local time
8:05 PM
Reaction score
I did the disco tech to my 63 Fury 15yrs ago. Just been looking around to do front brakes on wife's car. Seems a kit would be better. Anybody have a preference? I've heard good&bad about them. Its manual drum and I've got a new manual dual resvoir m/c to use. Thanks for any help guys.

The Summit Racing branded kits are great, mine came with all SSBC gear (rotors, calipers, etc.) and is complete. Will save you an arm and a leg over a retail SSBC package!

done several times and I buy used spindles off a 74 A body and get the bearings/rotors/caliphers/pads/install kit/hoses from napa...cheapest route to go

actually the cheepest way to go is a scarebird convertion plate from ebay.just did it on my 67 coronet and was easy to do.uses 96ish dodge truck calipers and 72ish big ford rotors,so all parts are from local parts stores.keeps it real cheep.you will need to install an adjustable prop valve to rear brake line,but that is cheep and super easy as well.

you think ill be able to get those parts from advance auto parts? all those parts will have to be asked for a 74 a body correct? but when you go into the store what car do you use for those parts? what exactly do you mean by install kit? sorry for the thousand questions but i myself just bought a 66 satellite and want to convert it into disc, i really dont know too much about these cars but i am doing some research. im 19 years old this will be my first project. its just the shell right now.
thanks,
Fino

done several times and I buy used spindles off a 74 A body and get the bearings/rotors/caliphers/pads/install kit/hoses from napa...cheapest route to go

Ask for parts for a 74 dart, duster.....a body. You want the slider type calipers as e pin type are hard to get ahold of.

I did some checking at Napa,Carquest etc. The price of parts plus core is quite a bit. Besides.buying a good set of spindles that's why I wondered if good kit was available. Ram man looks pretty good thinking goin to him. At least he speaks Mopar. Hate talkin to bow tie clowns that act like Im from another planet when in these stores lol.

There is a kit on eBay for 350ish, free shipping, and it has EVERYTHING. That is your best bet to get it all at once, no cores, and it's all new.

All good info.
In 2003 I purchased the Master Power kit.
some quality issues and misaligned holes.

Keep us posted on the path you decide to take and progress please?

There is a kit on eBay for 350ish, free shipping, and it has EVERYTHING. That is your best bet to get it all at once, no cores, and it's all new.

This is honestly probably the cheapest route.

I paid about $60 for new calipers but I had cores. No to mention you still have to find the spindles.

However, if you can find a 74 in a salvage yard you can get the spindles and cores for the calipers to make that a bit cheaper.

a good place to source your parts is Rockauto.com You can check pricing, part numbers etc and of course order from them and always floating around is a 5% off discount code. (1649651813692103 good until Oct 6th)

Does the car by any chance have a sway bar?
If it does the calipers have to be mounted on the rear
I just did one with A body spindles swapped on the sides.

No sway bar, no A body donors around. Last time I found one guy wanted $250 for parts, then got to swap calpiers for new ones, hoses, etc. I dont remember laying out that kinda bread 15yrs ago when I did my 63. But I did turn 50 this year so....lol.

Just my two cents worth but remember brakes have to work right every time. I bought one of those complete change over kits from CPP (should have been spelled CRAP). I've had one caliper come off of the bracket to be trapped between the wheel and bracket. I decided to go to the pin type to keep that from happening again only to find out the new Mopar brackets won't bolt on to those spindles. Some of the other things I've changed from that so called good deal are, mounted booster directly to fire wall, made a different pedal to booster actuator rod, changed the master cylinder to a larger bore to have less pedal travel, and had to buy new wheels and tires. So far I figure I've got $800 in a proportioning valve and two lines.

Gotta use some blue loctite on brake bolts, that will prevent them from backing out.

Donor cars to get disc brakes from -
73-76 A body
73 -74 B body
Also all the F/J/M bodies - Cordoba, Mirada, Aspen, Diplomat, Volare, 5th Avenue, Gran Fury ETC. Everytime I go to the local "do it yourself" yard I see 2-3 donor vehicles. Things to keep in mind - if you end up using the bigger 11 inch set up you'll have to run 15 inch wheels. If you have a factory sway bar you might have to mount the caliper aft of the spindle centerline (the spindles can be swapped side to side) I always get the master cylinder, pedal to master rod and prop valve from the donor car, you can use the master as a core. Many times they will bolt right up in place of the original. I've got the smaller '74 A body discs on both my '66 Coronet's and they work amazing. I've heard so many horror stories about the aftermarket "kits" Even some of the high dollar race set ups...just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Yep 74 A body is what I used on my 63. Like you said I took everything prop valve mc,rod &all. Got it all for $100 used spindles,took the rest for cores. Had about $400 in it all said and done. Gave 12yrs of wonderful service. I'm just not finding that set up used anywhere at a reasonable price. Guess I got all winter to find one

Well guys to be honest, I think finding the spindles and brackets off a 73-76 A-body will be your best bet. I just bought a set off a guy from the "forabodiesonly" website for $150 and that was INCLUDING shipping then at my job over here at Advance Auto Parts, both rotors and calipers WITH CORE CHARGE, and pads (not the cheapest BUT name brand) and bearings and seals runs me about $150, a total of $300 NOT BAD, dnt y'all think? Also from what I've been told, the 73-76 A-bodies spindles fit perfectly

Is this the one you mean? 60to0brakesystems. $380 with free shipping.

Says uses all factory pads and parts so rebuilds available at normal auto parts store. Doesn't specify sliders but says it's factory Mopar stuff

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Disc-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item565b6df820&vxp=mtr

You will get ALL the following parts listed and that you see in the photos below:

Factory replacement OEM quality spindles, caliper mounting brackets, backing plates, rotors, loaded calipers(brand new) with pads and mounting hardware, bearings, seals, washers, castle nuts, cotter pins, dust caps, hoses, banjo bolts, and 2 new front disc brake flex hoses with clips.

LOOK AT THE OTHER KITS, NONE OFFER THE BACKING PLATES. All of our kits come with brand new Mopar backing plates that we have had produced.

If you price this kit out anywhere else, it sells for over $595+ in most retailers parts books. This setup is brand new and has never been installed on a car. On another note, this is all Mopar components that make up this kit. That means that later on down the road when needing brake pads or a master cylinder, they can be easily picked up at any part stores. Unlike some kits out there where you have to come back to them to get the replacement parts. Feel free to contact us on this setup with any questions that you might have.
$T2eC16h,!zIFIe6MiYfOBSOjG5BTWQ~~60_12.jpg

Here's one for $500 plus $40 shipping from Pirate Jack. Specifies sliders style calipers

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-1962-72-B-Body-Standard-Front-Disc-Brake-Conversion-Kit-/171077479444

B-Body 1962-72
E-Body 1970-74

11" Rotors

New Single Piston Mid 70's Mopar Calipers, Slider Type
D84 Brake Pads

Rubber Brake Hoses
Backing Plates
Stock Height Spindles
Hoses, Bearings, Seals, Dust Caps
Spindle Nuts, Spindle Washers and all Hardware.

same suppliers but with cross drilled and slotted rotors and braided lines ... also $500 + $40 shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-1962-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ec6c49a30&vxp=mtr

603367103_o.jpg

• B-Body 1962-72
  • E-Body 1970-74
  • 11" Rotors Cross Drilled & Slotted
  • New Single Piston Mid 70's Mopar Calipers, Slider Type
  • D84 Brake Pads
  • Stainless Steel Braided Hoses
  • Loaded Large Single Piston Calipers
  • Hubs, Backing Plates
  • Stock Height Spindles
  • Hoses, Bearings, Seals, Dust Caps
  • Spindle Nuts, Spindle Washers and all Hardware.

ONLY FOR USE WITH 15" WHEELS!

That's the one tallhair. You can't beat that deal!

When I did my '63 years back,I wanted an updated/new caliper.I was between SSBC,Wildwood & Bear.I felt the SSBC kit that fit my exsisting spindle was the best deal knowing I would eventually be hitting 150 MPH in the 1/4 mile.The SSBC caliper is a 4 piston NEW caliper. I'm sure the "A" body swap is ok for a street car,but if your trap speed will be over 120 MPH I feel you need a better set up.

Attachments

• 3.25.12 (5).jpg
    3.25.12 (5).jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 546
  • 6.16.13 006.jpg
    6.16.13 006.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 544
  • 6.16.13 007.jpg
    6.16.13 007.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 541
  • 6.16.13 008.jpg
    6.16.13 008.jpg