• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DIY convertible top install?

70runner

Local time
10:33 AM
Reaction score
Just removed old top from my 70RR conv. Working on frame now. Has anyone installed their own conv top? Would appreciate any suggestions/guidance.

hey runner befor removing the old top you should have taken some measurments first but start with the top pads here is where the measurments come in handy to tell where the back bow is supposed to go if you still have the old top see if you can tell how far back the back bow is from the next bow forward, if you dont get the back bow in the right spot you will never get the wrickes out of the sail panel area be prepared to use all the swear words you know i have done several of mopars now and still swear at all of them but they have a way better design than any GM. after you get the pads nailed down take some duct tape and run over the seam at the header bow and make sure itr is flush really take your time with the pads as you will be able to see all irregularities through the top.next start withe the back window if it is plastic you will need a big heat lamp or a good heat gun to get it pulled tight well let me know when you get that far and if you have any questions . i have to stop now i havent typed that much in years and i got mopars to work on ha ha

Thx for response. The frame needed some repairs and the old top didn't fit too well (crappy job), so I don't think measurements would be too useful (?).

I've got the old top and pads, but...the rear bow isn't adjustable. The rear bow attachment levers move with the frame. The other two bows are adjustable.

Re the duct tape - are you referring to the pad seam on the header panel? On mine the pad attaches to the header with 5 screws or at least thats the way it was done.

Thx again

hey runner as far as the tape you put it on after the screws just to smooth out the seam and does your top have a cut in it all the way across the rear bow the last one i did was an a body and cant remember if that rear bow moved or not but it had a split between the top and the back of the main top and was very difficult to get streched evenly it wanted to bunch at the end of the split. if the rear bow is not adjustable you need to start with the back window section and staple it to your back tac strip and bolt in and try it it is alot of trial and error if you put a 2x4 inbetween your header and top frame and get it tight then remove block and lock it down that will give you the strech you want remember to use stainless stapels or they will bleed rust after a few times in the rain.hope im helping and not making it harder than it already is ha ha

You are definitely helping. Its great to get some advice from someone who has done this. No cut along the rear bow. Stainless staples - got it. Had picked up the same header spacing suggestion on another forum. My rear bow tack strip is pretty much trash, especially on the ends where the pad attaches, so I'm working on replacing it. I'll probably replace all the tack strips since even where the material is there, its 40 yrs old.

Basic procedure as I understand it (jump in here if I've got it wrong): Assuming proper frame alignment and with header spaced approx 3-4" from frame, attach side pads first, screws on header, staples on rear bow. Then rear window (glass) section. There are pre-made holes in the rear section for the body tack strips, so I guess they would be a good starting point for attaching the glass section. Then the main top section. Same pre-made holes on the sail panel sections. In all cases trial fit with fewer staples first.

I can do this...

you got it man good luck,I just had a 70 RR convert stop in the other day blue/white top 383 4spd air grabber he wanted qtrs put on it,tried to talk him into selling to me but he bought it new i bet he wishes he would have taken better care of it after he found out what it was gonna cost dont know if he will be back or not hope he dosnt have a hack do it and wreck a sweet car

One other question - when you have to build up or replace tack strips what do you use?

i usually buy the kit when i buy the top but if you have an upolstry shop near by they should have some the new stuff is almost like a dense rubber make sure you glue it in and it is flush with the top of the bow if it is to shallow you will see the bow frame when you staple it

Attachments

• DSCF1205_resize.JPG
    DSCF1205_resize.JPG
    183.4 KB · Views: 439
  • DSCF1206_resize.jpg
    DSCF1206_resize.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 420
  • DSCF1208_resize.JPG
    DSCF1208_resize.JPG
    185.9 KB · Views: 389
  • DSCF1209_resize.JPG
    DSCF1209_resize.JPG