• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Coronet convertible help needed

mikedonz

Local time
6:40 PM
Reaction score
Hi all,
We just received the AMD full rear quarters and wondered where we should cut them for the convertible. (They are made for a hardtop) Does anyone have any suggestions or drawings/measurements of what worked for you? They were a lot of money, and I just keep thinking of the old adage “measure twice and cut once”
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks,
Mike

1706398430635.png

If only we had a specific section for convertibles here . . . :rolleyes:

Do you still have the original quarters? In particular the upper segment.... Rule one, leave them long... When we did the quarter on my green convertible we used the original upper as a template... cut away the bulk of the quarter but left the upper 3" or so untouched.... Placed it on the new quarter & scribed a line about 1/2" above that & cut it there.. then began fitting it to the body & scribed the line when the inner structure matched up.... But still didn't cut it all the way because we knew there was a step & making that was gonna use some metal...

We then created a step die very similar to what is used for over lapping sheet metal but a bigger step.... Basically your original pieces become the pattern for the new die & really the new panel...

Take your time & do repeated fittings till it's right...

On mine we got it pretty close but not perfect then used lead to finalize and blend the detail of the upper edge.......

Do you still have the original quarters? In particular the upper segment.... Rule one, leave them long... When we did the quarter on my green convertible we used the original upper as a template... cut away the bulk of the quarter but left the upper 3" or so untouched.... Placed it on the new quarter & scribed a line about 1/2" above that & cut it there.. then began fitting it to the body & scribed the line when the inner structure matched up.... But still didn't cut it all the way because we knew there was a step & making that was gonna use some metal...

We then created a step die very similar to what is used for over lapping sheet metal but a bigger step.... Basically your original pieces become the pattern for the new die & really the new panel...

Take your time & do repeated fittings till it's right...

On mine we got it pretty close but not perfect then used lead to finalize and blend the detail of the upper edge.......
Great and detailed information, thank you!

Great and detailed information, thank you!
Your welcome... I'd post some pictures but the computer they are living on has become a brick... There are plenty of guys who've done it so it's not impossible but doing it perfect so you don't need to fix flaws with lead would be a challenge for someone with more talent than my friends & I....

There is a guy who sells modified quarters but he wants something like 3.5K per quarter not including the actual quarter.... :realcrazy:

might help

If your upper metal is good then that is the easy way to do it.... Mine already had the quarter cut of so it wasn't an option... Luckily the guy had saved the part that we used as a template... We looked at welding it back on but decided to try it the other way & it workout... But mine is an E body and my replacement quarter was an original piece that had enough metal to make the seam at the dutchman panel possible...

On mine, the body guy cut 2” bellow the top of the quarters and left the tops of the quarters alone. The transition up to the convertible trim is pretty steep

Auto Transport Service
Back