• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

do bad decisions ever stop? :)

Like Kern is saying, if this was a business venture you'd be thinking the right way. Hobbies are rarely profitable.
You are right, and i knew it coming in, i just need to worry all the time it seems :) You guys have been awesome and i will try to keep it to myself as much as i can :)

You’ll find a lot of posts about us on the forum having restored the cars we like and some where it isn’t their #1 favorite, but in their top five or ten. That’s the case with me with my ’63 Plymouth I’ve owned for some 25 years. Had a ‘70 Cuda and ’67 GTO I’d sure like to have back. But that was eons ago. After restoring a rust-bucket Cutlass I semi-cloned to a 442, came across the cherry unrestored Plymouth, a CA car. Have fond memories of my elder cousin racing a ’64 Plymouth and Dodge he bought new. As a kid those cars were awesome to me wanting one like them and after 20 years latched onto one. And a number of members have said they restore a car the way they want them to be – for them. Price to do this, exceeding the value of the car, isn’t a tick-point. Well, as it worked out, not with me either making mine the way I wanted it…invested around $35k in it and lucky if I’d sell it for $10k less come the day to sell it. Mopars got prettier and faster and like ‘em a lot. But the early B’s have some big fans too, young & old as I’ve encountered at shows and getting offers to sell it. Lol, recently a guy delivering a box to the house asked to look at the car in the garage drooling over it…he was maybe in his late 20’s. Everyone has their own tastes that floats their boat.

It's funny how you can fall in love with certain cars.. when i was little there was a movie called Hot Rod which at the start of the movie the main guy races in (I think) a black 64 fury and ends up rolling it :( But that was it for me.. i have owned a few b-bodies over the years but been awhile :) The one i wish i could get back was a 64 polara 500.. best trim package ever and just beautiful car in Teal. My other Mopar love moment was, i was maybe 10 and up north in michigan at my uncles place and wandered into the garage and sitting there is a 70 'cuda 340, pistol grip in lime green (whatever the actually color is called, sorry) and that has been etched on me forever (he backed into a telephone pole and the rear end was a V) but instant love.. although now i prefer challengers, just better body lines :)

It's funny how you can fall in love with certain cars.. when i was little there was a movie called Hot Rod which at the start of the movie the main guy races in (I think) a black 64 fury and ends up rolling it :( But that was it for me.. i have owned a few b-bodies over the years but been awhile :) The one i wish i could get back was a 64 polara 500.. best trim package ever and just beautiful car in Teal. My other Mopar love moment was, i was maybe 10 and up north in michigan at my uncles place and wandered into the garage and sitting there is a 70 'cuda 340, pistol grip in lime green (whatever the actually color is called, sorry) and that has been etched on me forever (he backed into a telephone pole and the rear end was a V) but instant love.. although now i prefer challengers, just better body lines :)
Had a Challenger too, traded my ’70 Cuda in on…‘73/340 first ‘new’ ride I bought, was a demo with 3K on it I got in spring '74. By then HP was crushed. I’ve gone back & forth for eons btw the Cuda & Challenger far as which one I liked better. Pretty much a draw MO. But the ’70 models were my #1 like.

Had a Challenger too, traded my ’70 Cuda in on…‘73/340 first ‘new’ ride I bought, was a demo with 3K on it I got in spring '74. By then HP was crushed. I’ve gone back & forth for eons btw the Cuda & Challenger far as which one I liked better. Pretty much a draw MO. But the ’70 models were my #1 like.

For me it's the '71's i think the grilles and taillights are way better but after that.. meh :)

Yeah building these cars for profit is a risky venture
I never go into looking at making $$
but buy smart, get something as complete as possible
$$$ ahead in the long run
if you bought stuff 10+ years ago
you've probably could have made money 'off most of it'
as long as you didn't go nuts, spend more than it will ever be worth

I call that 'the Budnicks (Bart's) effect'
I build my stuff for me, not for resale,
I change stuff way too often at a whim
because I like something new/different

IF you stay within models that are "more" popular, not fringe vehicles
with only a small cult following

Personally, I like almost anything 1968 my favorite year (to maybe 71)

I've also always had a garage/shop, to do it too
now my biggest gripe is not enough room, not enough storage
& too small of a garage 20'x20'

I'd be a rich man if not for "muscle cars"/MoPar & racecars

good posts @icetech

Do bad decisions ever stop?
How many times did you burn yourself touching a hot stove before you learned your lesson??
Apparently not enough to learn!

How many times did you burn yourself touching a hot stove before you learned your lesson??
well.. some lessons i suppose only take once time :) some... many times:)

well being that you like to worry and enjoy working on cars.I'ii step up and help you out you finish the car and i will give you your price 13,ooo. done deal

Bad decisions are a test to us to see how we deal with the situation and move on.

57 here, sure bad decisions are made, learn not to make same decision twice. Make a decision, don't "jump" to the thought of it being a bad one right away: did THAT with my 14 year project 72 Charger at times; looking as how close car is now, its turning out WHAT I WANT IT TO BE, doing it "MY WAY". There is much satisfaction to building it vs buying one done. Brother said you buy one done & cheaply, you don't know what your getting, you know THIS car and what it needs. Cost is more then car is worth but its worth is more for me. Bought parts etc... over time as extra $$$$ allowed. Cheaper then bar hoping chasing women etc... Having my off time used to keep pop out of nursing home was priority, now he's "HOME", time used for mom & can get back to the Charger. Pop taught me "backyard mechainic" ways, mainly LA engines & etc..., he got to hear it run at least.
Get it done, find back roads, farm roads and enjoy it. STOP DOUBTING YOUR SELF, wastes energy you could be using on the car. Fire up some tunes and get to it. :lol:

57 here, sure bad decisions are made, learn not to make same decision twice. Make a decision, don't "jump" to the thought of it being a bad one right away: did THAT with my 14 year project 72 Charger at times; looking as how close car is now, its turning out WHAT I WANT IT TO BE, doing it "MY WAY". There is much satisfaction to building it vs buying one done. Brother said you buy one done & cheaply, you don't know what your getting, you know THIS car and what it needs. Cost is more then car is worth but its worth is more for me. Bought parts etc... over time as extra $$$$ allowed. Cheaper then bar hoping chasing women etc... Having my off time used to keep pop out of nursing home was priority, now he's "HOME", time used for mom & can get back to the Charger. Pop taught me "backyard mechainic" ways, mainly LA engines & etc..., he got to hear it run at least.
Get it done, find back roads, farm roads and enjoy it. STOP DOUBTING YOUR SELF, wastes energy you could be using on the car. Fire up some tunes and get to it. :lol:

Thanks, it will get there... i'm liking it more and more as i work on it, like all things :) If i ever the motor free'd up i think i will feel way better.. I mean, not that hard to swap in a motor, just don't wanna :) Plus.. i worry bout money too much :)

Speaking of which.. Harbor freights 20% restock fee for selling me a bad welder is infuriating... Next one already ordered from amazon, they just make it too easy :(

still on the planet after 50+ years....... decisions haven't been as bad as you might think

On your next welder purchase, be mindful of what you are using for voltage, what the circuit is rated for and make sure you don't plug the welder in at the end of the wiring run. I found out about that with a Lincoln SP110 when welding the trunk floor pans in my Challenger. Once I plugged in closer to the breaker, it looked like I could weld again.

Lol, well there are some that will surprise you again and again. Worked with a guy in a machine shop eons ago, nice enough guy, but geezuz, he found more ways to injure himself. Ya don’t leave the chuck key in the lathe chuck when ya turn it on. Another time he ground off a few fingers tips on a grinder…I could cite a few more. Hope he survived and anyone who was in his proximity..

Lol, well there are some that will surprise you again and again. Worked with a guy in a machine shop eons ago, nice enough guy, but geezuz, he found more ways to injure himself. Ya don’t leave the chuck key in the lathe chuck when ya turn it on. Another time he ground off a few fingers tips on a grinder…I could cite a few more. Hope he survived and anyone who was in his proximity..
Chuck key in the lathe is a classic, we always tried to have spring loaded ones so you can't leave them in there :)

Didn't want to start a new thread for this so figured i would post here.. Have any of you guys ever transferred a REALLY old title? I'm just curious if there was any hassle? For my 62 i will be transferring the original title which is crazy to me, the thing that worries me is that it has a notary spot on it which i think is just because of how it used to be done... I'm going to try to go to the secretary of state tomorrow to let them look at it, i don't want to mess it up, the guy is 88 and i doubt i could get him to a office to fix i t:) (this is and example of me worrying bout something that i shouldn't til it's an issue) :)

Don't be kicking yourself. You'll reach the
point where the project is done, then all
those bad decisions just seem to melt.
They are absorbed into what you, yourself,
have created. You'll feel even better when
you see other drivers giving you a thumbs
up, or small crowds gather around the car
while in a parking lot.
Where I'm blessed is with my current
project, and the fact that I get to teach my
son some of the things I've learned along
the way. Can't put a price tag on that.