• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do I Need Break In New New Lifters on an Old Cam?

On another note, I personally do it with the valve covers off AND rotate the engine by hand while priming...thataway you can be certain oil is getting to the rockers. Just be ready you'll (hopefully!) be squirting oil out of the rocker shafts..

I have replaced many "noisy" tappets in the past but, never did anything at all to break them in. Never had a customer return with problems.
Mike
Same here. First time was in the early 70's in a 383 before ever hearing about cam break in and then replaced a few lifters 20 years later in another 383 and both did fine. Were the materials better back then?

Same here. First time was in the early 70's in a 383 before ever hearing about cam break in and then replaced a few lifters 20 years later in another 383 and both did fine. Were the materials better back then?
I would imagine it was due to the oil still having zinc in it back then.
Mike

These are cheap and work great. 5/16" hex. I just wrap the shaft with some electrical tape where the bushing would run.
5 mins with a zip cut on a grinder and you have a priming tool for under $10
mixer.jpg

Hope this helps

Auto Transport Service
Back