• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you speak with an accent?

SteveSS

Local time
3:20 PM
Reaction score
Being raised in the four corners of Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, and Arkansas I know I do. If I were to say the previous sentence out loud I would have said "raised up."

"Raised up" has no accent. That is just regional slang. Everybody speaks with an accent. Just depends where you are regionally/nationally. People on the West coast speaking to someone from the East coast will say they that they both have an accent. "slang" is cultural. Every country has it.

In general- OH, MI, and western PA as well as most of the Pacific West typically has far less of an accent that most other places.

At least from my experiences.

I'll add MD and VA as well.

I was raised up in southern Okla and Texas. I moved to the mid west in 85. It took at least 10 years for people to Quit asking where I was from. When I was young I had a friend from up state New York. We made fun of each other. He was as much of a hick as I was Just talked different.

Born and lived in Maine for 50 years, ayuh. We don't do r's either.

From Allentown. Locals (if there are any) out here think I sound like a New Yorker.

I’ve moved away from Minnesota for 40 years and in CA for 30 years. People still peg me from Minnesota because of the distinctive accent of the Nordic people up there. Everyone still asks. I guess it never leaves you. Not trying to get rid of it - proud to have it.

I’ve moved away from Minnesota for 40 years and in CA for 30 years. People still peg me from Minnesota because of the distinctive accent of the Nordic people up there. Everyone still asks. I guess it never leaves you. Not trying to get rid of it - proud to have it.
There are Nordics up there? What the..

It gets better. Harris (English) is the Maternal. Should have been Oswald. Could have been rough being an Oswald in the 60’s.

Just a SE Texas drawl. Strange that I do since I came from the NE (Masshole) but used to mimic (mock?) the way people down here talked and before long I was talking like them. Have a friend from 'up there' that's been here nearly as long as me and she still has her yankee accent.....

I was a military brat and moved all over growing up. I'm largely accent neutral - midwestern if anything. Same for my wife who hails from Ohio. We were sitting at the bar at the local Bonefish Grill one evening last year enjoying our favorite adult libations. Seated around us were three other couples - of which none of us were previously acquainted. Idle chit-chat ensued. One of the three couples had recently relocated to Florida from Brooklyn. The other two were from Michigan and PA. In passing I told the Michiganders that I thought that I had detected a very slight MI accent, or something from that neck of the woods. The young woman from NY then advised all of us in her THICK Brooklyn accent that she had been experiencing some difficulty in understanding us because of OUR accents...
:rofl:

I think Michigan has an accent. I used words as an accent because it's hard to just use a vowel sound. When we say y'all it's almost skipped and you don't hear it. We drop a lot of L's. Like in cold and hold. There are lots of different southern dialects.

I don't have an accent to people where I'm from. In other words I don't sound particularly southern since I was raised in a large metropolitan area.
But one time I was standing at the hotel counter in MSP and a lady next to me said:
"Texas or Tennessee?"
I said "Georgia".:rolleyes:

There are Nordics up there? What the..
Yup, lot's of them. Sweed's, Norwegian's, Finlander's. Hell, we even have a bunch of Germans. More recently many Hmong and now Somali. The "Fargo" accent is mostly gone except in the northern areas. Then it becomes nearly Cannuke. LOL

When I first understood what an "accent" was -I wondered why news commentators never had them? -Afterall they were from many different places.
My next about this thinking was--Does a- non-accent- speaking person sound like they have an accent to one that does speak with an "accent"?
Is there any -speak- that is without a distinguishing accent?

As I was around others that had an accent I found myself picking some of it up without even knowing it. (maybe an instinctive adaptation to communicate)?

Example-- A guy I dealt with over many months- (a customer for the company I worked for) had a stutter like speech impediment that I found myself picking up when I spoke with him.--I always hoped he didn't think I was mocking him.:eek:

Last edited:
My Norwegian grandparents pronounced all J's as Y's. So does my mom when she gets on the phone with her siblings.

Raised by my grandparents who came from Hungary, but I grew up on the Jersey shore. So most questions get answered with "F__k-you" and folks ask "oh, are you from Jersey?"

Auto Transport Service
Back