• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you wear your Seat Belt?

Bottom line. Then only person responsible for you is you. But no. Government needs to pass laws cause people are too stupid. Then government assumes responsibility. Which of course means people can go on being as stupid as they want.
Got bad news for ya. Wearing a seat belt does not guarantee you won't be severely injured and how much insurance you have is between you and your insurance company.
People dont need to be told **** by me you or government.
This is why. This is why the country is going to ****. 10's of trillions in debt. Because everyone looks to big government to do what they should be doing for themselves. So dont tell me you have no sympathy, then demand government do something about it.

So it's OK with you if they can put PCB-laden oil on the roads, put asbestos in our insulation, put lead in our paint, dump chemicals in our water supply, kill forests with acid rain, let big head carp into the great lakes, drive drunk, and other stuff we "don't need to be told ****" about by anybody? How about zoning that keeps adult video stores and liquor stores from moving next door to your kid's school and a 24-hour convenience store from building next to your house? Yeah, the nanny state can sometimes go too far like HT413 said, but come on, man! A lot of "Big Gummint" isn't about stopping ME from doing things, it is stopping others (stupid, evil, or both) from doing nasty things to ME and my family.

I always wear it. Because I'm smart...not cause it's the law. Got hit head-on in a Sundance, by a full sized conversion-van going about 50mph. That restraint and airbag saved my azz that day.

So it's OK with you if they can put PCB-laden oil on the roads, put asbestos in our insulation, put lead in our paint, dump chemicals in our water supply, kill forests with acid rain, let big head carp into the great lakes, drive drunk, and other stuff we "don't need to be told ****" about by anybody? How about zoning that keeps adult video stores and liquor stores from moving next door to your kid's school and a 24-hour convenience store from building next to your house? Yeah, the nanny state can sometimes go too far like HT413 said, but come on, man! A lot of "Big Gummint" isn't about stopping ME from doing things, it is stopping others (stupid, evil, or both) from doing nasty things to ME and my family.

Thats a completely ridiculous argument. How does someone not wearing a seat belt equate to all this nonsense? yes, if there is no law saying you have to wear a seatbelt the sun is going to go supernova and the world will explode.

You dont need zoning to keep **** shops out of school districts. I wouldn't want one there any more than you, and if someone did try and open one there I wouldn't shop there, not that I shop at those places at all, but the point is if no one does, it wont be there long will it?

The reality is it has nothing to do with keeping anyone safe. If they really wanted to do that they would just mandate that all cars be built so they dont run unless the belt is on. And speed kills so all cars have governors to keep from going over a certain speed. And drunk driving kills so all cars have a blow start on them.

It would make sense to me to put prom shops in a proximity to schools actually. LOL just funning with ya HR

I too started wearing them (68?) to keep me behind the wheel when hot dogging my car....but a few years later, I was in a minor wreck sitting in the back seat of a 66 Mustang Fastback. A buddy was driving and a buddy of his home from the military on leave was riding shot gun. The wreck wasn't bad but it was bad enough for my buddy to nail the steering wheel with his chin which split it wide open and knocked some teeth out and the guy riding shot gun put his head into the windshield which barely penetrated it but it gave him 61 sutures. We hit a concrete riser that used to hold up a caution barricade at a dead end street so it was a solid stop. We were hauling *** before and saw what was coming but the pavement went to gravel from asphalt and was probably still doing 15 when we impacted it. Btw, lots of blood comes out of face cuts. We thought he was going to bleed to death before the meat wagon showed up. And later he was pissed off at me because we had just traded seats because he had been drinking and had to get out every now and then to piss. Hey man, I didn't tell you not to wear your freakin belt.

A guy at work rolled his pickup by going through a ditch. It was a slow roll (about 30) but it spit him out and then the truck rolled on top of him. I've heard about a lot of rolls where that happened too.

When my youngest daughter was about 6, she thought she wasn't going to wear her belt one day and refused to put it on. So I backed on out of the driveway and gassed the 90 model V6 Dakota and then nailed brake and that bundled her up into the floor. She was in the back seat. I just looked back at her and said "and I didn't even hit anything." She was pissed but didn't say a word and got up off the floor and put on her belt lol

Ok. I'm going against the group some on this. There are some accidents where a seat belt would cause death. Statistics are better with but there is still the chance.

Ok. I'm going against the group some on this. There are some accidents where a seat belt would cause death. Statistics are better with but there is still the chance.

Sure, and there is less than a 10% chance of receiving a fatal gunshot wound in a gun fight. Don't make it a good idea.

I was in the backseat of a 79 mustang and not wearing a seat belt in high school and my buddy and his girl were in the front seats. He was driving too fast in the dark and in the country and didn't see a sharp turn and we wound up in a field and the force threw me forward and the girl in the front seat hit the windshield. Thank goodness it only bumped her noggin and didn't break the windshield and get cut her up or send here through .. and we didn't stop we kept going forward after the initial impact

Ever see that commercial quite a few years ago about a charging elephant coming at a car to illustrate the force of a head on collision? I was a smaller 180 lb sack of crap and there was no stopping me and her flying forward in that split second and pushing her seat forward. The seat back lock wasn't stopping anything.

Every situation is going to be different. Are seat belts proven to help save lives? Absolutely. I want everyone to wear It. And pay attention. And dont drink and drive. If anyone hit me in my mopar I would be going to jail. I dont want to do that. But, i will always be against government regulation mandating personal behavior. Nobody is saying anything about behavior that harms others.

Sure, and there is less than a 10% chance of receiving a fatal gunshot wound in a gun fight. Don't make it a good idea.

Figured someone would take a shot. Just pointing out that it is possible for the belt to get you killed. Don't believe me.
accident_interstate_001.jpg
accident_interstate_003.jpg
If id been strapped in id be dead. I was rear ended at 65 trying to avoid him. The jeep barrel rolled and I was thrown. Do I think it happens every time. No but sometimes the 10 percent wins

Yup, although, a guy in my neighborhood when I was around 8 years old got into a police chase in a stolen m5, clipped a curb at 220 (thats what the police report stated) and the car implanted itself roof first into a house. He survived because he wasn't wearing a seatbelt, got flung from the car. I'll be looking at a 4 point harness for my drift car in the spring and some sort of updated belt in the Belvedere when I get it together.

That is nasty I added more roll cage to my TJ and will be installing a 5 point at Moab this year and yes I wear my seat belt

Figured someone would take a shot. Just pointing out that it is possible for the belt to get you killed. Don't believe me.
View attachment 163752
View attachment 163763
If id been strapped in id be dead. I was rear ended at 65 trying to avoid him. The jeep barrel rolled and I was thrown. Do I think it happens every time. No but sometimes the 10 percent wins

hell just driving a Jeep can get you killed

- - - Updated - - -

I have a few HS friends that died because of stupidity, leaving a party out in Georgetown Ca. area, slammed the Jeep into the side of the road/rock hill... mainly because of not wearing seat belts & another passenger was crippled & near veg state... that was a world class sprinter athlete, he cant walk 10 feet in the time he use to run 100 meters... he was the lucky one, he was folded over backwards in the back, another passenger was & still is a veg... the driver was killed instantly, thrown out threw the windshield, another passenger that survived the initial impact to walked a few miles then collapsed in the ditch, bleed out, he crushed his skull, died on the side the road... they could have all possibly lived at-least, if they were wearing seat belts, it had a full cage & not just a bolt in cheapo roll bar...

Not if I was doing the shooting. It would be a bunch closer to zero.

Every situation is going to be different. Are seat belts proven to help save lives? Absolutely. I want everyone to wear It. And pay attention. And dont drink and drive. If anyone hit me in my mopar I would be going to jail. I dont want to do that. But, i will always be against government regulation mandating personal behavior. Nobody is saying anything about behavior that harms others.

I can definitely understand your point and where you are coming from HR. You're not arguing it's the smart thing to do just where do we draw the line on trying to regulate what people should / should not do.

I can definitely understand your point and where you are coming from HR. You're not arguing it's the smart thing to do just where do we draw the line on trying to regulate what people should / should not do.
OK, at what percentage of the population do we ask the govenment to regulate? Are we OK with 10% of the population driving drunk? Or 20%?, or maybe 49% because that's still less than a majority. What about wearing seat belts, what about the amount of airbags in a car. What about... What about...? I hear a lot of people talking about "freedom" or "rights". Funny thing.... no one seems to talk about "RESPONSIBILITY"

I always wear a seat belt not because I'm afraid of my own driving but because of that texting teenager, preoccupied meth addict tending to his/her rolling meth lab, the lady putting on her makeup as she attempts to drive, and the generally poor drivers polluting our highways.

OK, at what percentage of the population do we ask the govenment to regulate? Are we OK with 10% of the population driving drunk? Or 20%?, or maybe 49% because that's still less than a majority. What about wearing seat belts, what about the amount of airbags in a car. What about... What about...? I hear a lot of people talking about "freedom" or "rights". Funny thing.... no one seems to talk about "RESPONSIBILITY"

Responsibility is one thing, but the NHTSA reports a 48% reduction in fatalities due to seat belts. That's a huge number and definitely shows it's worth wearing one. Plus, we can't forget the amount of money they save hospitals and taxpayers from uninsured motorists- the numbers say 25%.

Auto Transport Service
Back