• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dodge Ram, Best patch panels?

scotts74birds

Local time
10:55 AM
Reaction score
I just bought a sweet, low-mile, 97 Ram 4x4, 5.9, Crew-cab. Black, with a tan leather interior. Rare combo. I still think the 94-01's were the best body style anyway. Great solid truck! But it has the usual Dodge rust in the doors. Question is, there are dozens of places selling patch-panels. Where can I find the best quality parts? Should they be the black EDP coated ones? Does this provide long-term protection, or just to keep it from rusting during shipping and storage? Thank you.

I see that Auto Body Specialties has them in their catalog. I bought some repair panels for my Ramcharger from them. The only thing I had to modify was where the new panel didn't bend enough to go under for my ramcharger. Get the black EDP ones if you can. Yes it provides protection for storage if it's going to be awhile before you install them. Just grind it off where you are going to weld them and scuff the rest, then spray epoxy/etch primer and you should be good. If all you're doing is the doors, it's just a matter of who you pick with the best price that you want to pay.

Haven't ever used any but LMC truck has some... not sure of quality, but have seen them used allot on "Extreme 4x4", "Trucks" & "Gears" Tv shows

Thanks for the advice! I think I'll go with the Auto Body Specialties pieces. I know this isn't a body forum, or even a Ram forum. But I figure most of us drive Rams anyways. I'll be doing these within the next two weeks using Structural Body Adhesive, along with some other products to insure that by the time this truck is in the junkyard, there will be two solid rockers, sitting on a pile of dust! Is there any interest in me posting/documenting this in the general, or other forum? Once again, I know this is not a truck site, but since so many of us own them, maybe there is some interest?

Auto Transport Service
Back