• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone know magic?

chrisd

Local time
5:08 AM
Reaction score
I'm trying to undo the brake lines on my Belvedere at the proportioning valve. The lines are siezed and I'm trying to break them loose. I've looked into the option of replacing all the metal lines. eBay has a set of all 6 for $150. Does anyone have any tricks to break them loose before I spend the 150? I've tried freezing, lubing, vise grips( as good as it gets with the room). Line wrenches have never done me any good and everything else seems to round off the head. I plan on replacing the lines, but in the mean time, I'd like to have some brakes.

Thanks. Tried it already, but no luck.

PB blaster, let it soak. Go out and get one of them little mini blow torches (butane, used for shrinkwrap and whatnot). Heat that bad boy up and it should come loose. When you put that bad boy back together use anti-sieze on the threads AND on the backside of the flare.

Brake lines

If you are replacing the lines, cut them close to the fitting. Since they are rounded as you say, you will have to use vise grips or a small pipe wrench.
Cutting the lines releives the fitting as the lines are probably rusted to the fitting.:icon_cheers:

I have found that a combination of a line wrench with a vise grip clamped over the head works pretty welll. I agree that PB Blaster or any other penetrant first. Maybe a combo - Blaster, heat, then a line wrench and vise grip combo. Good luck!

Heat will probably help, but make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy because brake fluid is highly flammable.

The immediate goal is to get some brakes so I don't almost put it through the garage wall again. Long term, I'll replace all the lines, so if I don't get it off in time, I'll just cut them. But in the mean time, I'll try the heat.And the PB Blaster. And the vise grips. And maybe the line wrench if I've got the room.

i would recommend cutting all the lines (since you would be ordering new ones any way) then unbolt the valve so you can put it in a vice then you should be able to get a real good grip with the vice grips

Heat will probably help, but make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy because brake fluid is highly flammable.

THANK YOU!!! I was just about to type the same thing. Chrisd;you don't a KABOOM! Earth-shattering kabooms bad...Fires bad...Explaining this to your insurance company,very bad...

THANK YOU!!! I was just about to type the same thing. Chrisd;you don't a KABOOM! Earth-shattering kabooms bad...Fires bad...Explaining this to your insurance company,very bad...

I agree, boiling brake fluid probably isn't that great for you or your cars complection. If you have manly man hands and a decent vise grips, you should be able to clamp on tight enough to (A) either break it loose or (B)snap off the threads off into the porportioning valve..If it does snap, you could try (a) to easy-out the threads, (b) drill out and heli-coil or (C) buy a new porportioning valve. I would obviously try draining the fluid, soaking with a penetrating fluid and tossing on some heat first..

here is my .02
if they are frozen good chance the lines have a good bit of corrosion
43 years old change them and forget about it do it right once!

Cut (no pun intended) your losses and save yourself. Cut the old ones and buy new ones. I too rounded a fitting on pass front trying to change a wheel cyl and ended up replacing all my lines, cyl's, made new dust gaskets, master cyl, dist block, hoses, shoes..........and I have great brakes now. If you have the engine out, take advantage of all that room as when everything is in the car there is very little room to work. Good luck!

I'll probably just cut the lines this weekend. The car's not on the road yet, I was looking for some way to have brakes while it rolls around the yard and garage.

Vice grips always seemed to work for me, but if the corrosion is that bad where nothing works under the car, then you may have to cut the lines and get the metering block out so you can work on it in a vise.

Kroil. A little bit of heat, and then apply the Kroil. The heat makes it "wick" in to the threads. As far as heat goes, are you using propane or map gas, or what? Propane isnt usually hot enough to do the job.

Auto Transport Service
Back