• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does Fiberglass resin go bad?

Well sorry. Just trying to get info to help out. Post #9 mentioned new hardener but not what type. So I'm going to guess that it was methyl ethyl ketone peroxide.

But for the original post, I've used resin that was a couple of years old with success but in the industry it's usually considered to have a half year shelf life. If it has started to thicken or clump it has already started to cross-link and won't react as well with the catalyst.

Last edited:
I know for a fact that the resin is older than a few years, maybe closer to 10, maybe older???? It poured out smooth. I'm going to wait a few days and see what happens, and report back.

I know for a fact that the resin is older than a few years, maybe closer to 10, maybe older???? It poured out smooth. I'm going to wait a few days and see what happens, and report back.
1655732885756.png

WAY WAY too much work involved having to redo any fiberglass work to save a few dollars.. Throw it away and get some fresh

WAY WAY too much work involved having to redo any fiberglass work to save a few dollars.. Throw it away and get some fresh

You're late to the party pal!!! Thanks for the helpful comment!

I'm going to wait a few days and see what happens, and report back.

So it's been a week now and weather it's cured or air dried, I can't tell the difference?? It's a lot harder than it was a week ago, very little tacky-ness to it when touched or trying to scratch it. I'm sure that in another week it will be even more dry/hard than it is today, I hope????? It's a drag that a 1 hour project has turned into over a week to accomplish something so simple!!!

So it's been a week now and weather it's cured or air dried, I can't tell the difference?? It's a lot harder than it was a week ago, very little tacky-ness to it when touched or trying to scratch it. I'm sure that in another week it will be even more dry/hard than it is today, I hope????? It's a drag that a 1 hour project has turned into over a week to accomplish something so simple!!!
I'm pretty bad about using old stuff and then when I get to thinking about it, it's usually a lot older than first thought. It usually works but like in your case, it takes more time for it to work....and know all too well about projects that shouldn't take much time but end up taking much longer anyways.

A little tackiness on the very top layer is going to be normal as polyester resin doesn't completely cure in the presence of air unless you add air dry wax to the mixture or cover it with wax paper when it's curing. You may have to just sand off the slightly tacky layer.

A little tackiness on the very top layer is going to be normal as polyester resin doesn't completely cure in the presence of air unless you add air dry wax to the mixture or cover it with wax paper when it's curing. You may have to just sand off the slightly tacky layer.
Is there destructions on using that stuff? I've done very little glass work in my lifetime....

I'm pretty bad about using old stuff and then when I get to thinking about it, it's usually a lot older than first thought. It usually works but like in your case, it takes more time for it to work....and know all too well about projects that shouldn't take much time but end up taking much longer anyways.
Where's the like, thanx, and agree button?
Here we go again, I don't know if it's poly or not!!! I laid it out with aluminum foil on top instead, I haven't attempted to pull it up and thinking of just leaving it down. I don't think picking pieces of tin foil under a sink would be a fun job? I have a gimp hip so that's not happening!
Is there destructions on using that stuff?
Destructions, or Instructions? It's like using runny plaster, thinner than bondo!

I never said anything about grinding off, you did!:icon_fU::icon_fU::icon_fU::icon_fU:

Auto Transport Service
Back