• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does hood scoop help cooling

Are you using the fans from the champion setup? If so, talk to the boys from champion first.

In post #5 I stated that adding the 65 Hemi scoop did lower the temp while driving over the stock hood.As you can see in the photos the entire opening under the scoop is cut out and boxed.
Tom Hoover states in the book "WE were the Ramchargers" that even though the scoops on the hoods did little as far as ram air, it did lower the under hood temperatures.
Not saying that you do or do not have other issues as far as cooling,just that it did lower the temperature while cruising down the road in our case.

Attachments

• IMG_1796.jpg
    IMG_1796.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 195
Why not just switch coolant to Evans waterless? Pull the stat out and run at 180° all day maybe see 200° on a hot day for about a second or two in traffic.

Waz.....if you do go with the scoop are you going to seal it to the carb or use it to flood the engine bay with air? You never did confirm if you are using a thermostat or what temperature it is set for.

Bob

165 tstat and I would not seal to carb

- - - Updated - - -

In post #5 I stated that adding the 65 Hemi scoop did lower the temp while driving over the stock hood.As you can see in the photos the entire opening under the scoop is cut out and boxed.
Tom Hoover states in the book "WE were the Ramchargers" that even though the scoops on the hoods did little as far as ram air, it did lower the under hood temperatures.
Not saying that you do or do not have other issues as far as cooling,just that it did lower the temperature while cruising down the road in our case.

Do you remember how much of a temp drop the scoop gave you? I think 10degrees or more on a warm day is worth it.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you using the fans from the champion setup? If so, talk to the boys from champion first.

Dual 12inch flex a lite fans. Don't think the fans are the issue because I'm warming up at highway speed. The fans do I good job when I'm in traffic. The idea that the fans restrict flow at highway speeds is one I have not considered but I run same setup on small block without issue

- - - Updated - - -

Why not just switch coolant to Evans waterless? Pull the stat out and run at 180° all day maybe see 200° on a hot day for about a second or two in traffic.

Does this stuff really drop temps? Big bucks but if it works I would use it.

Going down the road it will help. Now when you shut it off, all the engine heat is going to go up and out of the scoop.....which is nice when it's cold outside, lol!

Yes, about 10 degrees or so. It was driven several hundred miles with the stock hood and then again with the scooped hood.We ran a 160* t-stat, auto,3.73 gears. Never went over 185* on 90+* day. It has a MP 5 blade clutch fan and a stock big block rad from a 70 E body.Nothing fancy.

Auto Transport Service
Back