• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does it really matter if its a clone?

Here are a couple pics of my restomod. Yes, it gets down the road way better than it did when original. 1700 rpms at 75mph and knocks down 22-24 mpg with the A/C on. The original was probably half the mpg at twice the rpms back when gas was 34 cents per gallon. I bought a new Charger R/T in the spring of 68. That car was good for 10-12 mpg with the 440 4 speed and 3:55 gears. Do I wish I still had it? Yeah but not in the condition I last saw it. (totaled out from a couple end over end summer saults in Missouri) No, I wasn't driving it. I didn't have a drivers license at the time. This car could never pass as an original as there is really not much left on it that was original. Is it real? It is to me. Trouble is, Here in Wisconsin, Ma Nature won't let me enjoy it for more than a few months per year.

View attachment 552526 View attachment 552527 View attachment 552528 View attachment 552529 View attachment 552530
Sorry, to get off topic....

I have to say that is one beautiful charger!.....Nicely done....

Here are a couple pics of my restomod. Yes, it gets down the road way better than it did when original. 1700 rpms at 75mph and knocks down 22-24 mpg with the A/C on. The original was probably half the mpg at twice the rpms back when gas was 34 cents per gallon. I bought a new Charger R/T in the spring of 68. That car was good for 10-12 mpg with the 440 4 speed and 3:55 gears. Do I wish I still had it? Yeah but not in the condition I last saw it. (totaled out from a couple end over end summer saults in Missouri) No, I wasn't driving it. I didn't have a drivers license at the time. This car could never pass as an original as there is really not much left on it that was original. Is it real? It is to me. Trouble is, Here in Wisconsin, Ma Nature won't let me enjoy it for more than a few months per year.

View attachment 552526 View attachment 552527 View attachment 552528 View attachment 552529 View attachment 552530

Personally I'm not into the late engine swaps, but I have to say that your car is a real beauty and job well done!

Clones don’t bother me when people don’t pass them off as real. I see a lot of people calling their 318 satellites roadrunners. Then I look at the vin and call BS. Sorry, roadrunners are special cars that came with limited engine options, better drivelies, better suspension, etc. sure you can add all that. I have a 318 challenger that’ll look like an R/T when it’s done. It’ll have all the right parts but, i will have no problem telling people it was born just a 318 challenger. My rr looks like an A12 Car. First thing I say when people ask is no, “it’s just a 383 roadrunner”. That vin tag is the true indentity of the car no matter what stickers and emblems you put on it.

I have a 1971 Plymouth SSP. In 71 it got the plymouth symbol/badge in the upper cowl panel and that's the only badging I've kept on it. No other badges. When people ask what it is I just say a 71 Plymouth. I would however like to get a fancier hood just because I like them better, let people argue over whether it's a Satellite, GTX or Road Runner I don't care. I just like driving it.

This thread has become.....

View attachment 552584
I fixed it for ya:rolleyes:

beat_dead_horse2.jpg

Went through many Max Wedge, 6 paks not to mention a few dozen Darts before I found my 63 Belvedere 30 years ago.I had a vision in my head from the 1971 Summer Nationals at National Speedway,,,,been gone for over 20 years.Those were the days of real pro stockers,AWB,front diggers and the birth of funny cars.They all had one thing in common,,,,all the FAST cars had blown hemi's.
Now I drive that vision,a mid 9 second car on pump gas on the street,and when I go to the track just change a pulley and add octane and I'm in the 8's.My heap came off the assembly with a slanty with 3 on the tree.The rest I blame on HEMI_TIS!:)

10.30.17 004.jpg 10.30.17 006 (2).jpg

When is a fake not a fake. Buyer beware. When people start getting drug into court for deception will it matter then? I have little respect for liers and vins don't lie. People lie. Take it from there.
actually, not to muddy the water, but vins are easily altered
Fraud: A person or thing intended to deceive others, typically by unjustifiably claiming or being credited with accomplishments or qualities.
We are walking a fine line here. Some day someone is going to complain about being screwed. This just gives the car haters more amo. Do what you want, but I don't seeing this ending well for any of us.
I know you want to justify your actions and its not about us with the real thing being arrogant asses wanting to keep you out of the hobby. Its about keeping the hobby legitimate.

Well, I see you have strong opinions about this subject. I am not sure being this extreme is appropriate in this case. I am talking about a car I bought that my Dad already mostly built that is set up as a Road Runner. I am not talking about trying to deceive a prospective buyer. The car was a Sport Satellite originally, and was a bucket seats, top of the line model, this and that... (I looked up the fender tag).

I personally wouldn't mind "Sport Satellite" badges on the side instead of "Road Runner". But, I wouldn't change the grille, hood, or paint job. I think that claiming a car is something it is not is much different than putting the cooler hood/grille/stripe version on a car...

Its like my buddy's duster with the shark tooth grille, its sweet no matter what plastic came on the front back in the day...

Here in Mexico, many people want to know what model our '72 Satellite Sebring Plus is (the only badging it has is "Plymouth" on quarter panels). When I tell them it is a Satellite, they seem satisfied (not disappointed). What I am saying is I think there may be a trend to go back to original badging as these models are appreciated more for what their roots really were. In other words, if we start describing the "Satellite" as "Satellite", the public may come around to recognizing them (and revering them) as such. And the re-badging may just loose some of its flavor. For example, if I ever reach the final stage of reconstruction (1971 wind tunnel concept wing and nose-see avatar) this car's moniker will be "Super Satellite" (not Super Bird).

DSC00219.JPG

Last edited:
This question has now ascended to 3rd place in the philosophical questions of all time, behind 1) Where did we come from, and 2) Why did the chicken cross the road ?

OUCH pushrod gather your better half is not viewing your posts...badges who needs stinking badges...heard this somewhere.

Does it REALLY matter if it's a clone?????

25591938_2169570573061455_4891150503091342478_n-jpg.552907

Thanks Auggie

Auto Transport Service
Back