• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does Life start over when the Smart phone dies?

ws23jrt

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:43 AM
Reaction score
I have been upgrading my phones for years and always was able to transfer data from one to the next.
Today my LG4 passed away. It could not be revived to transfer data to my new phone. I was told that If my old phone came back to life I could recover years of contacts and photos. It would be an emergency and iffy grab at best. (BTW the LG4 sucked from day one). Example--If there was low light in the room I could not answer an incoming call.:realcrazy:
I now have a new phone with a -very- short/new list of contacts.
I am old and recall remembering phone numbers with ease. That is something I lost when all numbers were at hand and I got used to it.
Today I am reborn with an empty contact list on a new phone. Since I am essentially retired my issue is not a big deal.
This brings to mind how much we depend on our phones as they are today. I have no landline and most I know don't either.
Consider what you would need to do if your phone died.:wetting:

I still have a flip,the kids bought me a smartie so I'm forwarding everything to my email so I have all the contents.

I have been upgrading my phones for years and always was able to transfer data from one to the next.
Today my LG4 passed away. It could not be revived to transfer data to my new phone. I was told that If my old phone came back to life I could recover years of contacts and photos. It would be an emergency and iffy grab at best. (BTW the LG4 sucked from day one). Example--If there was low light in the room I could not answer an incoming call.:realcrazy:
I now have a new phone with a -very- short/new list of contacts.
I am old and recall remembering phone numbers with ease. That is something I lost when all numbers were at hand and I got used to it.
Today I am reborn with an empty contact list on a new phone. Since I am essentially retired my issue is not a big deal.
This brings to mind how much we depend on our phones as they are today. I have no landline and most I know don't either.
Consider what you would need to do if your phone died.:wetting:
I made/make a list of my contacts,
in a program on my computer, print it out on paper,
as a back up, it's a PITA, easy at a quick glance too
not have to hunt it down on the phone or computer...
I renew/update & print it out regularly too, every couple {6} months
shred the old one so new #'s etc. don't get confusing
just in case something happens to my computer...

I also copy some stuff, to a thumb drive...

Been there, when I lost all my stuff, all my favorites etc.
takes for ever to rebuild them,
I hope not to have to go thru that ever again...

I'm horrible at remembering everyone's address,
e-mail & phone #'s now, I'd be screwed now without the back up...

Keep it all in the cloud dude - then in theory you can access all your info from any device. It's 2018 my man...

I wouldn't worry about it ! If there important they will call you! If not you didn't obviously didn't need them! I take screen shots then email those pictures to the computer to print or save in there . I refuse to use this stupid thing called a cloud were everyone s crap it stored and who ever pleases car access your stuff delete add get info what ever they want . They have had many hackers so this . I don't like giving anything access to my phone because it sends and receives data meaning they can get other stuff off your phone why it's in there . I hate new phones they made everyone stupid (er) I miss my nextel !!!!

Keep it all in the cloud dude - then in theory you can access all your info from any device. It's 2018 my man...
Security issues with the cloud. If I can access the cloud anyone theoretically can from as you say any device. Some of us are old and do not like everything out there for everyone to look at. That and I have no shortage of secure backup without a cloud.

lol I only upgrade when my neighbor gets the latest phone. I had a nokia flipper.. Now im up to an awesome Iphone 5. I'm just cheap.

While it may be 2018 and the cloud might offer a solution for some folks; count me out. Just wait until the cloud gets hacked like every other system out there. The more computerized we become, the lazier and stupider we become. I don't like trusting any outside medium with my data and avoid it like the plague. I have only had a (smart-***) phone for 6 months now and the only reason I got it was a cheaper plan and the old flippy got too old to update. I also worried that I was being left out of being tracked by NSA, etc. and getting a larger dose of radiation to enhance my already glowing personality! LOL (Cancer Anyone?) My new G-4 is mandatorily linked to a email account and I can retrieve / send and screw up anything at will or by accident! I think I switch mine on about once a week on average. But, I must admit there is a hell of a lot of way-cool aps for it! As I age, some aps could come in handy like telling me that it's time to take a wiz, where is the closest beer, or not to walk in front of a moving truck! I must admit straight up that the new camera is actually better than my digital one and has a boat load of storage. This feature is a good tool to record important stuff like the scene of an accident, a nice looking car, female or scenic attraction. My problem is now, by the time I learn how to use many of the aps, they will be obsolete, just like me!:blah:

Security issues with the cloud. If I can access the cloud anyone theoretically can from as you say any device. Some of us are old and do not like everything out there for everyone to look at. That and I have no shortage of secure backup without a cloud.
Agreed - but they can hack your computer even more easily. I'm no spring chicken and don't even know how to cloud everything either/anyways. I have a backup device that I don't use that regularly anyway. Just for important secure info - the rest I don't worry too much about. Would hate to lose contacts though....

Every couple of months, back up your phone contents to an external hard drive or thumb drive. You can get one for under $50. If it's not connected to anything it can't be hacked and if you lose or break your phone, you can restore all your stuff to a new phone. It's cheap insurance.

Agreed - but they can hack your computer even more easily. I'm no spring chicken and don't even know how to cloud everything either/anyways. I have a backup device that I don't use that regularly anyway. Just for important secure info - the rest I don't worry too much about. Would hate to lose contacts though....
Can not hack whats not connected.

Sure weird how life changes. I had a company car being a field guy and got a car phone installed must a been around 1990. I used to have to find a pay phone to call the office or home or actually use the land line phone at the hotel. Got my 1st laptop must a been 1986 and told I no longer had a pool secretary to type up my dictated field reports. I was pissed thinking I had to learn how to hunt and peck my own friggin paperwork as I didn't take typing class in high school. Never thought that was a skill I was going to need. Took every shop class though. Back in the day just before the digital readout came along on the Bridgeport I ran at a machine shop...no longer had to rely on the dials on the handles.
**** has life changed since I was a youngster...

Google has all my contact information and it's honestly great. Get a new phone, put your gmail/google account info in it and you're back in business.

If hackers want the phone numbers to my physical therapist and a handful of friends and family members, they can have them.

Your email is in 'the cloud' so what's the big deal with a few names and phone numbers. If you have any that you feel are really private for whatever reason, then you can store those locally, I suppose. But why try to remember hundreds of names and numbers of people and businesses that are already in the phone book?

Truth is, hackers don't give a crap about contact information in our phones; the only thing they care about is making money, and they're not going to make a nickel knowing any of my contact information.

death-grim_reaper-phones-mobiles-cells-cell_phones-rmon869_low.jpg

And why do they keep delivering them to my door when I haven't had a landline for years!
Actually pulled one out of garage last year to call power company when power went out.

I got an older iPhone 4s that still works just fine. I use it as a tool primarily. GPS, MapQuest for driving directions, and my music. I keep it up to date and don't use it for very much. Just keep it so if the SHTF at least I might have access and a chance. But normally it stays on my desk waiting for me to use it...cr8crshr/Tuck:usflag::usflag::usflag:

Auto Transport Service
Back