• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does small block AC compressor/system fit B and RB blocks?

RockyPat

Local time
10:59 AM
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 318 with its AC compressor and related hardware.

Would I be able to use the 318's AC stuff on a big block?

Does everything fit? Or should I be looking for big block AC stuff?

This is for B and RB engines. Probably RB since I would like a 440.

Thanks

Hello,

I have a 318 with its AC compressor and related hardware.

Would I be able to use the 318's AC stuff on a big block?

Does everything fit? Or should I be looking for big block AC stuff?

This is for B and RB engines. Probably RB since I would like a 440.

Thanks
Compressor is the same. Most of the time the hoses will fit. All the mount brackets are different.

Not 100% sure but most the bb ac units that era use a single pulley clutch on the compressor. I believe a sb in 72 used a double pulley clutch and alternator? Sometimes the clutch has to come off to switch the brackets...the lines should work OK. We did what you are doing but its been a while. Easiest to get a bb set up off a big car pre '72.

Not 100% sure but most the bb ac units that era use a single pulley clutch on the compressor. I believe a sb in 72 used a double pulley clutch and alternator? Sometimes the clutch has to come off to switch the brackets...the lines should work OK. We did what you are doing but its been a while. Easiest to get a bb set up off a big car pre '72.

I am 100% sure and your wrong... Don't recall ever seeing a single groove pulley on an RV-2 compressor...
Yes the clutch needs to come off to swap brackets.... The lines may work, may not depends on what year/design..

I am 100% sure and your wrong... Don't recall ever seeing a single groove pulley on an RV-2 compressor...
Yes the clutch needs to come off to swap brackets.... The lines may work, may not depends on what year/design..
Yep..Your right. I was mistaken on pulley. Pictured is the compressor we took off a '70 440 and used on a 72 318 car. I think the compressor sits a few inches different then it did on the 318 and we changed the line routing some. But it worked.

20210905_145016.jpg

Compressor is the same. Most of the time the hoses will fit. All the mount brackets are different.

This is good to hear. Thanks pnora. It would be cool to keep something from my original 318 on the car.

Thanks R/T for your comment. I will need to look into brackets to make my AC compressor fit.

Yep..Your right. I was mistaken on pulley. Pictured is the compressor we took off a '70 440 and used on a 72 318 car. I think the compressor sits a few inches different then it did on the 318 and we changed the line routing some. But it worked.

View attachment 1163459

Thanks for your story. It is nice to know from personal experience that something like this will work.

And after posting this... I see a photo that makes it wrong... Not entirely, the application is small block not big block.. But heres a application with a single groove pulley...

Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 8.35.48 PM.png

Yup... At least two applications... Both of which aren't in my focus... My focus was always performance models.. Only Slant Six car I ever owned only had a slant six while I gathered parts to fix that...
I just remember seeing them. It is possible that the Mopar add on air kits used them on some applications.

Auto Transport Service
Back