• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dome light issue

Randall Raines

Local time
8:28 AM
Reaction score
Hi everyone !

I just had my 1st issue this week with my 72 satellite sebring. I parked the car in garage on monday and I have noticed my dome light remains on when I close the doors. I have started to investigate with the electrical diagram I've found on mopar.com for Plymouth Satellite but something is making me strange:

First of all I don't have any passenger door switch, it seems the previous owner has removed it for some reasons but this is not all,

On the diagram the Map light switch must have 2 wires (yellow ones) but currently I have 3 wires on it (including a pink one that I don't see on my diagram) and the Dome light must have 3 wires coming to it (but currently I have 2)

Am I confusing Dome light and Map light ? for me the map light is the one on the dash board and the dome light is on the roof.

Thank you

IMG_0017 (2).jpg IMG_0019 (2).jpg IMG_0020 (2).jpg IMG_0018 (2).jpg 72SatelliteB.jpg

According to the diagram, you should have 2 wires going into both the dome and map light.

There should be a connector at the other end of the dome light, it would have the 3rd wire.

It should be around the driver's side kick panel; not 100% sure about that.

You have 3 to the map light, one for the on/off switch and 2 for the bulb itself. If you follow the switch wire back you'll find it connects to the light somewhere. The bulb for the dome gets 2 wires. The circuit gets 3 wires but the plug for it is farther up in the headliner, you're just not seeing it.
Did the dome work correctly at all? If it did previous then it has nothing to do with the door switch. Or the door switch has fallen inside the pillar and with no contact its staying "open". Remove the kick panel and feel around for the wiring and find it.

Thanks guys !

Rusty 72: interesting comment, when I bought the car I had the feeling this light was not working. In the beginning I also searched for a switch for it before I understood what it was. Maybe it never worked before

Maybe a dumb question, but... Is your headlight switch knob twisted all the way over to the left? That turns on the dome light too.

As mentioned, verify the headlamp switch is not turned to the dome lamp on position. I would also verify the connectors to the missing passenger door pin switch are not touching the body of the car. Will find two wires loose in that area (yellow & yellow with a black trace). The map light switch will not turn on the dome lamp. Will have three wires, ground, unswitched power and switched ground from the door switches. The switch is a three-way switch, On, off, On with the door open.

At the dome lamp, the pink is un-switched power, the yellow is the switched ground from the door switches, if the yellow circuit is grounded the dome lamp will be on.

BTW, the driver’s side door switch has three wires, one of which is for the dome light, others are for buzzers and ignition switch lighting.

Better off referring to the factory wiring diagrams for details like this. The third party diagrams can be inaccurate.
DSC06552.JPG

Not dumb at all I didn't know about that left turn. I tried right now and I saw turning it right the dome light switched off ! But I noticed just I put my hand on the light switch and dome light turns on again so there should be a ground issue here !

Thank you very much guys you helped me a lot on where to find ! Just another question: is it normal my light switch turn left or right infinitly ? Shouldn't be there an stopper ?

No, the knob should not rotate more than about 340 degrees or so, there should be a stop with the dome lamp on detent to end of the left rotation. Sounds like a new headlamp switch is needed.

Auto Transport Service
Back