• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Donner Pass, California

No but I'm 100+ more lil' south & west of there...
Closer to Yosemite, Tuolumne Co.

We got/get our fair share, just warmed up during the day
& rain melted it off, mostly already, clear now THANK GOODNESS
or I'd move the f--k out of here post haste...
same old deal

3-1-2024 was the worst here, the past few nights an 1"+ maybe
gone by noon
I'm at a lower elevation, than Truckee/Tahoe Basin
but we get a lot of snow here
that places with similar elevation 'don't get',
weather seems to stall over us & our lil' valley
they said it was gonna' be over 5,000ft levels, my *** it was...
Sonora snow 3-1-2024.JPG

Last edited:
Donnor pass is up there a ways, 7000ft I think. With weather like that it's no surprise the namesakes traveling by wagon were forced to dine on long pig:eek:

Was it named for one of those reindeer ?
1709611398599.png
Looks like Donner got blitzened !

I live in southern Ontario, and it was 20 degrees Celsius ( 68 degrees F. ) here today in sunshine and blue skies. It broke the previous record of 60F. for this day, set in 1966. So far this winter, I have used my snow blower once.

It was named for the Donner party, a group of pioneers on their way to Oregon territory who when they got stranded too late in the season had to resort to cannibalism to survive if my history lesson is correct.

I live on the other side of the lake (Tahoe) thats 80 i live on the 50 side. I go every weekend to my navada house, but last weekend i skipped because of this last storm. I always watch the highway cameras and the last storm seemed to be one of the worst.

A year ago I got caught in last years storm in Mammoth Ca Picture is second floor with snow that deep

IMG_0139.jpeg

IMG_1745.jpeg

The snow was so deep, the Donner family cut the tops of trees off to keep fires going to keep warm.
31 feet I think I read? That's alot of snow!

My Winter weather since I moved here 9 years ago. Living at 5100 plus feet up in the Sierras, we get hammered and then it melts off rather quickly. After this latest one, it will be around for a bit. Roads are now opening up, and as we rely on supplies being either trucked or brought up by train from Commiefornia, we will slowly get back to normal. Most here are smart enough to stockpile provisions and supplies for just such an occurrence so for most of us, we just hunker down and wait it out until we can start digging out and get moving again. My neighbor has a huge snowblower that he plows all of us older folks out when we get these storms. He never asks for a thing in return. As a Reno PD Officer, he does more outside the line of duty than he needs to. It's just his way and at times a case of Silver Bullets just because is always appreciated. As this storm was a whopper, add to that that I have had the Flu now for about 2 weeks, I just stayed in bed and slept, or spent any waking hours medicating and resting...cr8crshr/Bill :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

Seems common sense is not so common anymore. Why would you go out in that as I knew here in Pa. what was going to happen there with these massive storms. I guess they missed the forecast of 5-6 feet of snow... SMH

Seems common sense is not so common anymore. Why would you go out in that as I knew here in Pa. what was going to happen there with these massive storms. I guess they missed the forecast of 5-6 feet of snow... SMH
If they don't know which bathroom to use what makes you think they can grasp the reality of snow... This is California we have a lot of snowflakes... But not much in the way of common sense..

last years snow, early Feb. IIRC 1st top photo
this was up by hwy 89, going toward Kirkwood
another 12ft or so "feet" (not inches) would still fall,
even worse than the Donner Party year
it's compacted some so it not as high as it was

5' isn't nothing for mountain folks, it sucks
unless you like skiing, not much else to do
the flatlanders/city folks "tourists", now that's a totally different story

Seems like they 'shut the world down' on the east coast
when they get a few "inches" or a foot maybe, in the inner-shittys
it's anarchy
Snow in the Sierras - deep.jpg