• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Donny's 1969 Satellite

Also, look what I scored today for $800.00! 235/45/17 Front, 315/35/17 Rears. Mopar bolt pattern, B/C/E body fit. I'll have to widen the qtrs on my B Body to make them fit in there, about 2 inches or so.
View attachment 204776View attachment 204777

$800 for wheels and tires is a great deal. What's the offset on the rears? I ask because when I measured my wheel houses I had 14 inches of opening, the 315/35 - 17 are just under 12 inches wide and 26 inches tall. With the dehump and the minitub you should have more than enough room to run those tires unless the rim offset is way off. I guess I'm just trying to understand the reason for widening the quarters. That sounds like a lot of work and shorting the axle may be an easier alternative. The wider quarters would look trick though.

I agree with 747 12" with zero offset will give you 3/4-1" both sides. I see you already mini tubbed it so you could use offset shackles and spring hangers to gain a little more. That way if you wanted to go to bigger 15's later you could. Also I put my dehumping pictures in if you want to check that out. I remember running 10.5x 28 slicks with 10" zero offset in the stock tubbs with no rubbing.

Offset I don't know -- right now. I can take better pics and measure tomorrow. Qtrs are new, so, widening them about 2 inches gives it more of a cool look and gain usability with those 315s. It's a Satellite and it came with the 8.25 rear end, which I may not use, but if I use the 318 it will only be in the interest of mpg, and, eager to get driving the car, might as well utilize that combo right now. Looking for more cool look factor vs. high performace. However, the only real performance increase I'd like to gain is good brakes on day one vs. that 4 wheel drum set up.

The backspacing is 4.5 inches on the new rear wheels, the front is just over 4 inches.
IMG_2447.jpgIMG_2448.jpgIMG_2449.jpgIMG_2451.jpg

From earlier Qtr panel fitting, the left rear was about 3/4" higher than the right side. Today, I solved it. Part of the solution was found in making the cut(s) in the Frame for Spring Relocation kit. Also, figuring why this was this way has sort of bedeviled me for many months! However, I think the 'pull mark' in the Frame is a good indicator of some activity in the past, and, when I got the car, I remember it was hit hard on the lower B Pillar crushing the Door and leading edge of the qtr panel to be crumpled, thus led me on my odyssey of 'fixing' this car, which, sadly has led me down many roads of foolish work, foolish advice, and having a long and steep learning curve, I think its finally getting done right. To summarize; my mentality back then was "Can I save this piece", now, it's "Is a new one re-popped, if so, buy it".

Oh yeah, the 'advice' metered out on autorestorer . com to fill the Frame rails with expandable foam is dumb, but, not as dumb as an idiot who followed that 'advice'! I can say, all fixed! Waiting on wheelhouses and Trunk Pan, and Spring relocation kit!
IMG_2401.jpgIMG_2453.jpgIMG_2455.jpgIMG_2456.jpgIMG_2457.jpgIMG_2464.jpgIMG_2469.jpgIMG_2473.jpg

Out of curiosity, what do you see as the downside of the foam? It's common on new cars, so I wondered...

I didn't or don't know if new cars have foam filled frame rails, if they do, I'm sure the material is not the 'Expanda Foam' Lowe's carries. The notion I had (and some still have) of 'preserving' the Frame Rails is rather silly. They've lasted 40+ yrs with no foam or preservatives, so, a good media blast and Epoxy Primer they'll last another 100 yrs!

The only thing I can think why foam is used is for sound.....?

No, it's not the canned stuff from Lowes. :) The manufacturers use the two part closed cell, high density stuff that's almost as hard as wood. About 8 pounds per cubic foot, the stuff you had was probably about 2 lbs/ft. It adds stiffness as well as dampening sound. It also prevents any moisture incursion.

BUT, as you say, your rails have lasted this long already....

Donny I made some gussets to put inside my frame rails if you want to look at my thread. If you'd like some let me know.

Hey 69GTX, those are for strength? If so, I don't think they're really needed, at least with me and my applications, perhaps you're going to race or drag, needing the enhancements?

Today, I got one outer wheelhouse 'widened' with the slicing the creased parts, then, pounding them back and welding them back together. I can immediately see it gaining about 1-2 inches max. Got a new Trunk Pan on order, should be here end of the month. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Here's a little bit of the direction I'm headed on this car, at least the 'look' as shown in these qtrs, widened.
IMG_20140820_105933.jpgIMG_20140820_105940.jpgIMG_20140820_105950.jpgIMG_20140820_105959.jpg

I bet that took a few hours to do!

Donny, glad to see you getting some time to work on your car. those rims look sweet.

Wheel tubs look very nice inside!

For the record, the above pic of a Plymouth is NOT my car, just an example of which way I'm headed! That car is one I Media Blasted earlier in the year, it's over at Musclerodshop.

Here's the pics of the Outer wheelhouse widened and creases removed. Each one took about 4-5 hours to slice, and weld up, and dress the welds down, so, if you were to pay someone to do this, just this, it will be pricey.

IMG_2474.jpgIMG_2475.jpgIMG_2476.jpgIMG_2477.jpg
IMG_2478.jpgIMG_2482.jpgIMG_2483.jpgIMG_2484.jpgIMG_2492.jpg

Hey Donnie - Thanks for the pics, I was wondering if it could be done as you did . . . I was not sure, but my wells are still in the car and the quarters still in place, so I just cut the whole outside off the outer well and welded a flat piece of metal in it's place. Your way looks a whole lot easier if you have the well out of the car . . . but it's good to know if I do have a next time ! ! !

Love the work that you're doing - if I was closer I'd have you media blast my car for me . . .

There's a pic above of a mounted wheelhouse, it's original, and rather thin down where it mounts to Quarter panel, so, it will be coming off and going to the scrap heap. I like moving my project, I don't like moving me to fit into/under my projects; easier this way!

Auto Transport Service
Back