• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Donny's 1969 Satellite

What got me started down the road using 3M Panel Bond #8115 was I asked around the old timers at Jack's Paint Place across the street from me as I go over there and shake up qts and gallons of Epoxy when I need 'em shaked. I asked about this glue stuff they were using to put panels back on, he showed me, I asked if it can be machined; ie sanded. It can! At this point I knew how to repair the Javelin Hood I was doing late last year. The Javelin Hood is just not easy to acquire. The entire nose was rotted like swiss cheese, so, I cut off the inside webbing (like I did here on the Satellite deck Lid) blasted the inside as best as I could, Ospho'd it, epoxied it, and repaired the back swiss cheese sections with Panel Bond and replacement sections (metal coupons) glued to back sections of the webbing. When that was repaired and the glue oozed through the swiss cheese holes I sanded it down, reshot epoxy, and glued it to the main Hood. Panel Bond is about 50 bucks for a two part tube. Each special mixing nozzle is about 3 bucks, and is tossed after use, the applicator gun is about 75 bucks, but, all well worth it as I usually end up buying tools I use at least 2 times. Anyways, here's some pics of the Javelin Hood repaired with the 3M product. It's an AMC car, so, technically it can fall in the MOPAR family! lol
Damage Evaluation (105).jpgDamage Evaluation (107).jpgIMG_2635.jpgIMG_2636.jpgIMG_2766.jpgIMG_2856.jpgIMG_2858.jpgIMG_2866.jpgIMG_2870.jpgIMG_2881.jpgIMG_3051.jpgIMG_3056.jpgIMG_3086.jpgIMG_3101.jpg

So just how does one take apart a panel thats glued on????

Probably the same way as a welded panel. Cut it off.

Donny, I was wondering how that hood was turning out. Thanks for the update.

Satellite Hood; no further progress. Once the Hood (or whatever) is glued into place it should not come apart ever again. The only reason to even explode one of these is if it's rotted, and can't be replaced.

Very cool! I've always been skeptical about that glue until my brother had to peel apart some metal on a wrecked Dart he bought, tuff stuff! Hood looks great!

Enough messing around! I put the car on my Chassis Table today, going to have to re-blast it, and the Chassis Table. For the car I have all the new metal I need for it. I'm now more motivated to get my OWN car done now that that 5.7 Hemi system is sitting on the table waiting for me to put it to use! I've totally decided to NOT push this outside again while a customers car waits inside. I had one space available for another paying job, but, said nope...going to finish the current ones I have AND the Satellite too. In truth, the real motivation was Matt poking my eye on FEBO about this Satellite!
IMG_6973.jpgIMG_6974.jpgIMG_6976.jpgIMG_6978.jpgIMG_6980.jpgIMG_6984.jpg

Looks good Donny !!!!!!!! Love the table man ...................

Good choice. That's the approach I decided on with my Challenger. I'm not getting any younger and I'd like to finish a car of my OWN while I can still enjoy it........... LOL

You will be glad you are going to finish it up. That HEMI will rock !!!!!!!!!!!!

Louis

Remember I did all that work on the new outer wheelhouses? Well, decided to leave on and repair the left outer wheelhouse! And, I sliced it up too, and welded it to allow fatter meats underneath. Opened up the lower A Pillars (rot was there and I just put it off till later) and later is here now. So, all metal repairs will be done, then re-blasted and epoxy primed, then put the darn thing together! IMG_7088.jpgIMG_7089.jpg

IMG_7088.jpg IMG_7089.jpg

Nice slice job Donny!
Ooow I hope our a-pillars are not as bad as fine were!

Back to it here and there! Of note, and perhaps of interest to some of you... Epoxy Primer. I had no choice, my car or a paying customers 69 Camaro outside for a few weeks, guess which one languished outside in then brand new Epoxy? Yup, mine! Well, it sat for many many weeks, months, etc. Brought it back in, put it on my Chassis Table with a promise to never ever let her sit outside like again! Here's the rub: the epoxy has no UV protection, so it go chalky. Figured it would just blast right off like the rattle can AutoZone crap does, nope! Epoxy binds into the metal and after blasting just the loose chalky stuff off the remaining binding elements remain in/on the metal which won't easily come off. So, another new layer of Epoxy going on the body, and a new Package Tray is supposed to be coming from AMD, but they've been back ordered for months now.

One thing I've learned if new stuff is made, get it, F'in with old crap is just not worth the time to repair.

Plan is finish it up quickly as I wrap up the deal with James' Challenger, and start fitting in all the new metal I got for this car, put the 5.7 in it, tubbed wheelhouses, yup! Pics coming.

Back to it here and there! Of note, and perhaps of interest to some of you... Epoxy Primer. I had no choice, my car or a paying customers 69 Camaro outside for a few weeks, guess which one languished outside in then brand new Epoxy? Yup, mine! Well, it sat for many many weeks, months, etc. Brought it back in, put it on my Chassis Table with a promise to never ever let her sit outside like again! Here's the rub: the epoxy has no UV protection, so it go chalky. Figured it would just blast right off like the rattle can AutoZone crap does, nope! Epoxy binds into the metal and after blasting just the loose chalky stuff off the remaining binding elements remain in/on the metal which won't easily come off. So, another new layer of Epoxy going on the body, and a new Package Tray is supposed to be coming from AMD, but they've been back ordered for months now.

One thing I've learned if new stuff is made, get it, F'in with old crap is just not worth the time to repair.

Plan is finish it up quickly as I wrap up the deal with James' Challenger, and start fitting in all the new metal I got for this car, put the 5.7 in it, tubbed wheelhouses, yup! Pics coming.

Amen to the old crap!!

I hear you on trying to patch up old metal. Most of the time it gets thin from rusting and as a rule that makes it hard to weld in new metal. It can be done but it's not easy if you don't have the skills or a proper welding machine.

Once a car has been blasted down to bare metal the truth comes out. I'm sure you see this every day.

For these reasons if I run into an area that has rust and a new panel is a available I do my best to get the complete panel and try to avoid patch work. Some times however you don't have a choice because they don't make a suitable replacement.

If you check out my restoration thread you can see that I too have opted for new panels when they are available.

Rock on buddy !!!!!!

Your car will be great once finished. I also had to redo the epoxy on my last restoration which was a 73 Duster 340 with a 4 speed. The car was stored under an awning while I was working on the 70 "Plum Crazy" Challenger.

The epoxy really bites into the metal for sure. I feel your pain brother!!!

Please keep us updated.

I admire your determination Donny! Keep it up.

I hear you on trying to patch up old metal. Most of the time it gets thin from rusting and as a rule that makes it hard to weld in new metal. It can be done but it's not easy if you don't have the skills or a proper welding machine.

If you check out my restoration thread you can see that I too have opted for new panels when they are available.

I'm learning this first hand!

Last edited:
It's always chasing down this or that hole and thin metal, endless crap! Like my Package tray, F that man, couple holes here and there, out it comes, allowing a better media blast, and installing the new.

GO TRUMP!

Plus, I love working with and on new metal, and or newly blasted metal with nice epoxy locked down after 48 hrs.

I've decided to sell the GTX. Focusing on my Satellite, my 300 (almost there) and my newly acquired 70 Challenger. These three are my goals. The GTX is desirable on it's own by virtue of being a GTX, so, someone will get a nice car when it sells.

Also, I'm getting a Porsche 928 S4 on Tuesday for a wicked good price which I hope to flip and bank a few bucks.

The Satellite has been subjected for like 6+ months to secondary media blast streams from me tending to about a dozen cars and more smaller projects. It's clean enough now, the chalky elements of the epoxy are gone, it's going into new Epoxy tomorrow, then moving it to another bay where I WILL be installing new metal, (thank goodness I've been squirlling away AMD metal over the years) and the 5.7 will be fit-in. The GTX is still 'available' in case anyone wants to buy it. But, who knows, all my projects will start coming on line pretty soon, and I'll have more driveable cars than drivers available!

Auto Transport Service
Back