• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Donny's 1969 Satellite

Nice work Donny, those 315 are some wide SOBs! Are you putting a Hemi in this car?

Hemi? Likely not, I have a good 318 that it came with, which I may run that in it for a bit, my order of battle is getting the Body straight and solid, Paint, Brakes/Suspension, Inspection (so I can drive it), sort out Titling to me, Put a tag on it, then perhaps a nice Indy 360.

I bought it years ago, the seller gave me the title, I never put it in my name, ie notify the state that it's mine, yes, I didn't know. When I went in to do this, they wanted to fine me like 5 thousand dollars for being so tardy. Might have to go Bonded Title b/c I did dumb stuff.

wow, Ohio charges like $5 for being over 30 days after the title is notarized.

Had some time this afternoon, and got after these two Hoods. One is a RR Hood I got from Texas Acres before he went out of business, (thank you AMD for making NEW stuff), this RR Hood was junk, especially after I blasted 1/3 of it, holes everywhere, but, this is how the world was pre-AMD! Anyways, the pics tell what I'm doing, bottom line; merging a 68 (or 69) Satellite Hood (this one was also from Texas Acres, but this one is super good condition...I'm not using my original Satellite Hood in this process, it's standing by) with the raised call outs organic to the Roadrunner. Look, and enjoy! I'm not entirely sure which way I'm going, but, I think after these pics were taken, I sorted out what this is to look like. I'm raising the already raised RR Hood fresh air intake to about 3", which, will look pretty cool!
IMG_2611.jpgIMG_2612.jpgIMG_2615.jpgIMG_2617.jpgIMG_2620.jpgIMG_2621.jpgIMG_2622.jpgIMG_2624.jpgIMG_2625.jpgIMG_2626.jpgIMG_2627.jpgIMG_2629.jpgIMG_2630.jpg

Wow that TRULY is some amazing work and what your doing with the way the regular hood looks if your incorporating those "RR bulge's" to it is going to look super good! Ive seen other "scoops" put on these hoods but this idea is killer with killer looks to go with it!! I cant wait to see how this hood looks in color! You could be starting the next trend with this idea!!!

Thanks Ron. There's a few folks playing with this sort of modification. I think as the stuff gets older and in worse condition from rust etc., doing these sorts of mods is needed. But, I'm actually really anxious to see this develop, and, will certainly post pics!

Can't wait to see what your hood looks like when you're done with it.

Had a little time this afternoon later to mess with the Deck lid off this car, after blasting it, and since these are not repopped, time to cut out the bad area and start to repair it. Intent and end state is mesh a few new pieces of sheetmetal on the back side of the removed piece (after I blast it and epoxy prime it) and bond the two together with the 3M 8115 Bonding agent stuff -- same thing I did last year on the Javelin Hood. But, I had to dig at it to get it to come apart. Man, the rust that hid inside this lip, amazing, rust truly is amazing crap!
IMG_5527.jpgIMG_5528.jpgIMG_5529.jpgIMG_5530.jpgIMG_5531.jpgIMG_5532.jpgIMG_5533.jpgIMG_5534.jpgIMG_5535.jpg

Good timing on the pictures Donny. I've got to do the same thing on my deck lid.

Hope you're back at it soon Donny

Got the new full Trunk Pan one piece, will set that in in a few weeks, along with the widened inner wheelhouses, then hang qtrs and new tail panel, things should start 'assembling' quickly!

IMG_6098.jpgIMG_6099.jpgIMG_6100.jpg
I blasted the Deck Lid a few days ago, and got the inside sections. Could not break all the tight rust up, so, Ospho the remaining rust. I'll Epoxy this next week, and put the Lid back together with minimal welding. 3M #8115 Panel Bond is my now go-to choice for many formerly welded applications. The stuff is fantastic!

You got a heck of a deal on those tires and wheels. I don't want to tell you what I just paid for full sets of both myself. And to just be able to add a couple of inches to your quarters so they fit is awesome. I would have given anything (almost) to have those two inches on my X. Had to lift the car over them to allow me to get what I wanted. That's a story I won't bore you with. Nice work - going to be an awesome build. I like keeping up with your thread.

I watched some 3M panel bond vids on youtube, that really is some cool stuff. Looks like your making progress!

Love that hood Idea! I had an opportunity to get one of those Satellite hoods. I was gonna use the frame out of it for my shot Roadrunner hood frame. I wondered about doing something like what you have there. I was afraid to try because of ridicule ha ha. Anyway , I missed the deal so I'm back to hammering metal out to fix the Swiss cheese frame. Will be following this. :)

Auto Transport Service
Back