• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Driving in the rain

It doesn't bother me too much if I get caught in the rain, or washing the car. The main thing is that I take it for a long drive after each wash or the next fine day after the rain to dry out the nooks and crannies. We don't have salt on our roads.

I like popcorn.
I don't have to deal with snow here so there is no issue of salted roads. It does rain though.
One thing that was a surprise to me....There are places where it rains as much in the Summer as it does other times of the year.
Please forgive my ignorance on this, I've been in California since I was 2 or 3 years old. It is pretty much all that I know. For us, the majority of the rain we get occurs between late November through April. We do get some rain in the Spring but rarely do we see anything from May through October.
I was really surprised to learn when we were looking at Tennessee that they get more rain in July that in the Winter months. That just amazed me. I know it is more humid there than in CA but it still was strange to learn that.

I have my reasons….
IMG_0756.jpeg

I like popcorn.
I don't have to deal with snow here so there is no issue of salted roads. It does rain though.
One thing that was a surprise to me....There are places where it rains as much in the Summer as it does other times of the year.
Please forgive my ignorance on this, I've been in California since I was 2 or 3 years old. It is pretty much all that I know. For us, the majority of the rain we get occurs between late November through April. We do get some rain in the Spring but rarely do we see anything from May through October.
I was really surprised to learn when we were looking at Tennessee that they get more rain in July that in the Winter months. That just amazed me. I know it is more humid there than in CA but it still was strange to learn that.
While I don't make a habit of this, see the pic below. When I left in the morning it was cold and the snow hadn't melted. Then the sun popped out...

I can also say from experience chargers suck in snow.
IMG_20230204_132836_762.jpg

For the most part it depends in where you live and what car you drive.
I live in a place that's sunny most of the time. I don't drive my car in the rain unless I'm caught out in it, or it's an emergency. Why would I? It's not fun at all. The wipers are poor, the traction is non-existent around corners with the BFG's, and then I have to clean and dry it when I get home. If it's raining I'll take my modern car, and drive the old one tomorrow instead.
If you have a show type car and that's your thing, or you've spent years restoring and detailing the car I fully agree too with keeping it dry.
If your car already looks like it was dragged from the ocean, then sweet, drive it whenever you like...but still respect others who choose not to.
We're all in different situations, live and let live.

After I set the engine after the rebuild and breaking it in, I had to get the exhaust done. The shop where I took it was about 9 miles away. I drove it up with open headers and had him put new tires on it while he had it. When I went to pick it up, it was raining hard. Dave (the owner) said I’ll bring it to your house on my ramp truck, I won’t charge you. We had become friends after I did his house. I said bud, it’s a car, I’ll just drive it. I was glad I had the new tires put on, and I know the under carriage was clean as a whistle when I got home. No leaks either, of course I had put all new weatherstripping on it while waiting for the engine.

Getting caught in an unexpected rain is one thing; that's happened to probably all of us at some point.
If it's wet out, or on days that it's been raining I'll takae the wife's AWD or my Ram, no question.
Even though my '68 has some rust starting in the top corners of the trunk gutter, and there's always some leaks after a washing, the #1 reason for me to NOT drive it in the rain (if I can help it) is the lack of control with higher-HP and tires meant for dry traction, and as stated earlier the fact that people seem to become 'more stupider' in the rain...

Getting caught in an unexpected rain is one thing; that's happened to probably all of us at some point.
If it's wet out, or on days that it's been raining I'll takae the wife's AWD or my Ram, no question.
Even though my '68 has some rust starting in the top corners of the trunk gutter, and there's always some leaks after a washing, the #1 reason for me to NOT drive it in the rain (if I can help it) is the lack of control with higher-HP and tires meant for dry traction, and as stated earlier the fact that people seem to become 'more stupider' in the rain...
Yes sir, absolutely! When it’ll break the tires at 20 dry, rain tends to get a little precarious, especially when it hasn’t rained in a while, and that oil tends to float to the top.

I drove through a heavy downpour in Spring 2022 on the way to Southern CA for the Spring Fling. It reminded me that I need to replace the gaskets in the wiper pivots. I don't intentionally drive in the rain but the car did fine. The sticky 200 treadwear tires did hold the road fine.

295 45.jpg

No leaks in the trunk or from the side windows. I got leaks from the windshield area that probably were not from the glass or gasket since I sealed that up using 3M 8609 urethane sealant. The wiper pivot seals are original though!

As I mentioned before every time I head South it seems to rain.... And most times I've driven the car south I was headed to.... Spring Fling..... It's all Steve's fault....

I drove through a heavy downpour in Spring 2022 on the way to Southern CA for the Spring Fling. It reminded me that I need to replace the gaskets in the wiper pivots. I don't intentionally drive in the rain but the car did fine. The sticky 200 treadwear tires did hold the road fine.

View attachment 1526471

No leaks in the trunk or from the side windows. I got leaks from the windshield area that probably were not from the glass or gasket since I sealed that up using 3M 8609 urethane sealant. The wiper pivot seals are original though!
That's cool! I've got decent roof rail weatherstrip but the vent window seals suck on my car. They're just too far down on the priority list!

As I mentioned before every time I head South it seems to rain.... And most times I've driven the car south I was headed to.... Spring Fling..... It's all Steve's fault....
I've only gone in our newer cars; I just know when I finally take my beast down there it'll rain...and knowing my luck probably snow on the grapevine.

Yup.. Been snowed on while crossing the Grapevine a few times.. One year in the Challenger we passed through Bakersfield with the top down, probably 85 degrees... Headed up the grade & started catching light rain... By the time we got to Pyramid lake it was in the 30's & borderline slush... Didn't stop, windows up, heat on full & keep moving.... As long as you keep moving 50+ nothing in the car gets wet... Drove through/broke out of the rain/sleet around Magic Mountain... Stopped & grabbed some hot drinks, put the top up & finished the drive to Van Nuys...

Auto Transport Service
Back