• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Roadrunner Water coming from bottom of doors in heavy rain

69ProTouring

Local time
7:59 AM
Reaction score
Hi B-Body owners,
I had an issue on my 69 roadrunner that I was hoping someone may have solved. Wasn't able to find an answer searching through the forums.

I have a 69 roadrunner that i drive a cross the country. It's a pro touring build. For that reason, sometimes I hit heavy rain, or it has to sit outside at hotels. When it rains more than just a drizzle, i have wet floors by my doors. It's not coming in from the windows. I think too much water comes down the window and it can't drain fast enough so builds up and comes in from the bottom of the doors.

I took it to my local shop where the owner drives a 69 RR (Torque Performance in Austin, TX) and he recommended new window felts. Searching this forum I found that the recommended ones appear to be the cat whiskers at Detroit muscle. I'm skeptical though, and thinking maybe I should search for the rubber wiper blade type. Looking for some feedback. Anyone ever faced this problem and found a solution? Appreciate the help!

The doors have drains that could clog.

There is also a barrier shield between the door card and frame that needs to be installed properly.

I doubt felts will impact the amount of water you are seeing.

More issues with cowl leaks and wiper shaft pivot leaks. I would have someone hose it while you are looking under the dash, cowl and kick panel areas.

More issues with cowl leaks and wiper shaft pivot leaks. I would have someone hose it while you are looking under the dash, cowl and kick panel areas.

If you see water coming out from underneath the door panels, I would suspect that the plastic barrier isn't there, or installed improperly. Personally, I would suspect a windshield gasket leak or water coming through the hole of a molding screw. I've seen windshield leaks drip down behind the kick panels. From there, the water wicks into the rug and padding.

The doors are not sealed up, water will get inside, and leak out the drain. The fuzzies don’t go to the very ends of the openings, and the wing window gasket is not a water tight seal to the re is no seal where the wing frame goes through the door either. Water will get in, fact of life, built into the car.

As stated the door should have a plastic water barrier to keep the water inside the door and not destroy the door panel and leak inside the car.

I think the door barrier is the answer or plugged drain holes at bottom of door. Many other answers could also be the problem. Water hose and a friend inside the car.

See if the bottom of the doors even have holes. Some “expert” doing some work could have closed them off.

Is the door damaged or missing and check the drain holes. Are the door gaskets on inside door drains so door gasket seals to keep water from getting inside. All the other things need a look see.

don't the fuzzies go on the inside, and the squeegees on the outside?

and how would the water get up over the pinch weld on top of the rocker panel inside?

Thanks for all the advice, I will put some work in this weekend and have my buddy try to help me identify where the water is getting in.

If you see water coming out from underneath the door panels, I would suspect that the plastic barrier isn't there, or installed improperly. Personally, I would suspect a windshield gasket leak or water coming through the hole of a molding screw. I've seen windshield leaks drip down behind the kick panels. From there, the water wicks into the rug and padding.
I don’t have that plastic installed, I think that might be it.

Good idea - going to that this weekend, after I install the plastic shield.

The doors are not sealed up, water will get inside, and leak out the drain. The fuzzies don’t go to the very ends of the openings, and the wing window gasket is not a water tight seal to the re is no seal where the wing frame goes through the door either. Water will get in, fact of life, built into the car.

As stated the door should have a plastic water barrier to keep the water inside the door and not destroy the door panel and leak inside the car.
I don’t think I have the plastic water seal.

If it was your doors pissing out water onto the floor your door cards would be toast ! It would also take about 5" of water before that could happen....

If it was your doors pissing out water onto the floor your door cards would be toast ! It would also take about 5" of water before that could happen....
you might be right. ill investigate this weekend and get back to you guys on the results.

Totally agree....probably has a build-up of rotten leaves and dirt from years of wind swept debris.

All check your ballast resistor is tight. :D

Along with other miscellaneous firewall holes & equipment bolt holes.

Auto Transport Service
Back