• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dr says I need to walk more.....she has no idea how much I walk just looking for stuff in my shop!!

Be careful where you walk. You might lose some weight, but gain some other.
No worries there....all the women I've been meeting have way too much baggage for me!

cardiologist told me to get regular exercise; LMFAO!...... in his defense, most of his patients are lazy, old farts

One tractor trailer (articulated lorry), one straight truck (regular lorry) and 5 washing machines.

These kind of distances you need to scale up :lol:
Thanks for that clarification Mario. :lowdown:

BTW ....we don't use the term 'lorry' down here in NZ....I think that's just a British thing.

This is as close to Lorry that we get here.....

1692295441022.png

:lol:

Thanks for that clarification Mario. :lowdown:

BTW ....we don't use the term 'lorry' down here in NZ....I think that's just a British thing.

This is as close to Lorry that we get here.....

View attachment 1510990

:lol:

we don't do "lorry" here either....... might be a Guido thing?

Lori Fetters from high school on the other hand...... was done by pretty much everyone

My shop is 35 feet from the house and the shop is 52 feet long IF it's walked in a straight line and well, that doesn't happen very often. Then there's a 25' carport behind the shop that is used pretty much everyday and today isn't an exception. The box trailer 'storage unit' is 17' from the shop. Well, cleaned up the shop somewhat about 2 1/2 weeks ago and now looking for a chain fall that got moved to a 'better' location and now it's nowhere to be found. After two trips to the 'storage trailer' (remember that?) and 3 trips into the house so far for ice and walking all over the shop looking for that dang chain fall, I'm tired lol. Maybe I'm getting senile? Dad gum it! At least I have most of my teeth.....at least it's only 95 right now since lately it's usually 99 or more.
There’s walking and there’s walking. Just general walking pretty much gets you just above a resting heart rate. Walking to get to a working heart rate is what docs want see. Pretty much stressing your cardio vascular system. Merely walking through a car show parking lot doesn’t get your heart rate up that would benefit your health.

funny tale
when I had the Chinese flu, I wanted to know how man steps for the dog/s
I had to get up & let the dog/s out every hr on the hr during the day
It's an old habit in me training them or after any treats
they were trained as pups
to go out after every time they eat, it's sort of funny
I counted the steps just from my
recliner in the front room resting, to the back door = 40 steps
(lets call it appr. 3' each, I take long strides)
back to the recliner +40 = 80
then back to the back door after they/or just Elvis now
will bark to let him/them in, we have no dog doors here,
way too many animals to get in +40 = 120
***1/2 of the time, 5 times a day (?) they/he get/s a treat
from the back door all the way to the other end of the house & laundry room
where the food bowls are to give them a small milk-bone treat +60 = 180
back to the recliner, steps from the laundry room +20 = 200**
almost every hr on the hr pretty much daily, not counting the other times
I'm doing something other than just letting the dang dog/s out
this happens about 10 times a day alone, 5 times the whole shitbang with treats too
multiply that 200** X 10 = 2,000+ steps = *6,000 ft ballpark :blah:

my house isn't that dang big either, just under 1,700 sqft,
single story (thank god)

grant you this is just 1/3rd to maybe 1/2 of what I walk probably daily, average now,
not counting shopping or working outside or in the garage etc.
this is just in the house :realcrazy: mostly for my dog
Or
not counting the dog walks around the blocks at 10:30 pm when all the other
neighborhood dogs are at home, inside or asleep & I can enjoy my walks with my dog/s
1 big loop + 2400 (+ or -) steps at x 3' ea. = another *7,200 ft min. daily :blah:
on days it's not snowing bad or pouring rain...

So on a good average day, normal weather is *13,200 ft, a lil' more than 2.6 miles
that's like climbing up Mt. Whitney daily :poke:
just dealing with the dog/s alone
I'm sure there were days it's near dbl that :blah:

get a dog let it out & walk it, it will keep you young
or wear you out

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I was working in my early years, as an Engineers Aid for PG&E
right out of school...
I wore a step counter, for a project study about how much movement
an office-bound engineering aid actually gets
IIRC it went over 10,000-11,000 steps quite often, 30,000-33,000 ft
about a lil' less than 5.1 miles to 5.6 miles a day
0.7 - 0.8 tenths of a mile every hr

in a 7hr day, 1/2 an hr off for lunch & 1/2 an hr total in 2 breaks...

In the PG&E power plants it was way more step,
walking back & forth between the tool crib/cage
& machine shop & then out to a project in the plant somewhere...
It seemed always the other end of the plant...
miles every day or night shift
I walked way more as an actual worker, misc. equipment operator, operator & welder
than when an engineers aid, we did a lot of measuring so a lot of back & forth
measurements for schematics...
&
also when I worked in SF for PG&E at the 77 Beal St. Office, downtown
or when I worked in the 'power plants', at Pittsburg & Antioch plants (I was 21-22)
to keep in shape, I ran the stairs whenever I went anywhere...
I can't do that now, I'd probably keel over...

Working at the dealership doing facility management
or walking thru airports too & from
I never kept any real count,
but it was probably up there too, lots of walking always...

Wall of text -bob the builder-.jpg

Last edited:
What I’ve found is I do A LOT more walking, climbing up & down stairs in a day (basement shop) and btw garages. It has more to do with FORGETTING stuff. Tape measure, tools, parts, name it, I take one place, still needing it for the next whatever, and have to go BACK to get it. Doesn’t include stuff I set down somewhere having no recall where the eff I set it half hour ago.

And sure, I have multiple duplicates of all sorts of tools and stuff, but have the tools and such I prefer to use, that Phillips head driver I’ve had for 40 years...I just prefer to use. Don’t want to use the ten others I have, lol. So I do more – walking!

Had been warned about this sort a crap eventually happening by elders…now that I am one, it’s happened...lets not talk about hearing loss, more aches, eyesight and all...also having been warned by my - elders...

The wife of one of my customers went to work at Walmart He said she walks at least 10 miles a night

After straightening out my body woes with the help of several doctors, I have learned that walking, 4 mph on a treadmill for 3 to 5 miles a day is great for your heart, lungs, and legs. While it can help you lose weight, the thing to do to lose weight is to drink plenty of water and eat around 1500 calories a day, good calories. To maintain your weight males need at least 2,000. If you want to lose weight, eating less will do it.

After straightening out my body woes with the help of several doctors, I have learned that walking, 4 mph on a treadmill for 3 to 5 miles a day is great for your heart, lungs, and legs. While it can help you lose weight, the thing to do to lose weight is to drink plenty of water and eat around 1500 calories a day, good calories. To maintain your weight males need at least 2,000. If you want to lose weight, eating less will do it.
This is the basic regimen my wife has followed for years, with good results. She has three obese siblings, two brothers both had stomach bypass surgery, but didn't change their habits. So it is possible to beat a bad genetic roll of the dice with the right life style.

At my last physical doctor recommended daily walking of at least a couple miles, not for cardio but for improving/maintaining balance to avoid falls and breaking bones.
Made good sense to me

This is the basic regimen my wife has followed for years, with good results. She has three obese siblings, two brothers both had stomach bypass surgery, but didn't change their habits. So it is possible to beat a bad genetic roll of the dice with the right habits.
I always get in trouble for this, but I have a friend that is a super wealthy trust baby. He's in terrible shape, I mean he's a big old boy and can only walk about 50 feet and has to take a break. He decides to get stomach staple job. It requires a physical and a mental evaluation. To get around all that he pays cash. He lost 25 pounds and decided he needed more food, and soda. I think his stomach was about 4 ounces and true to form, he now has gained all his weight back and then some. He's 64 and on his way to the cemetery in short order. Truly sad!!

Last edited:
At my last physical doctor recommended daily walking of at least a couple miles, not for cardio but for improving/maintaining balance to avoid falls and breaking bones.
Made good sense to me
Yes it does and he's a keeper!! Good for you!!

i understand the theory completely, no need for a high dollar stair stepper round here . i walk plenty everyday….

Last edited:
i understand the theory completely, no need for a high dollar stair stepper round . i walk plenty everyday….
You're right, but my treadmills in front of my walkout and overlooks my ponds. Rain or shine, I put my earbuds on and go. I've had this treadmill for over ten years and counting.

Auto Transport Service
Back