• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dr says I need to walk more.....she has no idea how much I walk just looking for stuff in my shop!!

My Dr says walking is good, but make sure to maintain a pulse of 160 BPM for at least 30 minutes while exercising.

Yes your body needs you to “go for a walk”. Get away from your yard, shop and projects, nothing in your hands, hands swinging while looking around at things and breathing, relaxing.

Not walking around the shop and properly while working on projects, not the same. There will be a big difference and benefits from doing so. Read below.
That's why I leave the house at 06:45 in the morning and hit the road for an hour. My blood press has dropped at least 10 points top and bottom, my A1C is back down to normal and my knees which used to kill me have stopped hurting because of the arthritis in them. Last time at the dr. office I had lost 20lbs, so it does work. You just need to keep it up.

Last edited:
I'm 75...I have a lot of doctors.

They all say I need to walk more.

I still drive truck PT.

Friday I went to work. My tractor is parked about 300' from my car parking spot.

I walked back and forth three times to move my stuff into the cab. I drive a different truck everyday.

That 2400' of walking.

I drove to get my trailer at the back of the lot. Three times around the 53' trailer doing my pretrip, cranking the landing gear , etc .

Another 300'.

I get to the shipper....about a 500' walk from the parking area to the shipping office. I do that three times before I have my hi visibility vest, my license for ID, pickup numbers, mother's maiden name, my dog's SS#, etc.

That's 3000'.

Two more trips to that office for my bills of lading.

That's a mile and a half for a 75 year old guy with five herniated discs, two knee replacements, two shoulder replacements ( getting a replacement replacement next week!!).

I tell that to my cardiac surgeon and he tells me that's not really exercise!

FU

Walking is good but for good exercise, getting your heart rate up and keeping it up for 30 min or so is what you need to do. Cardiac rehab nurses were slave drivers but that's what they did. "Walking around Wal Mart isn't exercise" is what they used to preach.

Walking is good but for good exercise, getting your heart rate up and keeping it up for 30 min or so is what you need to do. Cardiac rehab nurses were slave drivers but that's what they did. "Walking around Wal Mart isn't exercise" is what they used to preach.
From my earlier replies on this topic, i got down to 180 pounds, which was the weight that i discharged out of the Air Force, 44 years ago, back in 1980, when i was 27 years old.
Lost 50 pounds off this old mans body (70) between April and October last year 2023, by walking 3 miles a day at a good pace, that takes me 18 minutes to do one mile at a time.
And the weight is staying off and, i have been staying right at the 180-182 figure during the past two months, by continuing walking around the neighborhood.
Took me 7 months to loose the 50 pounds.
So, that weight figure, i hope is going to be my weight, until i croak, and they plant me in the ground.

Walking is better than being completely sedentary, but the heart rate is crucial to maintaining optimum levels in multiple areas. I did a lot of walking and physical work during the 25 years I drove a dry bulk tanker. But my numbers have been way better since I retired last year, and replaced my job with my home gym, which got used vigorously during the 20 years I didn't drive a truck. Truck driving was physically demanding, but not in a good way. In summer humidity, I could spend hours pounding on the side of a tank to maintain product flow, which was good for cardio, but led to bursitis, and the fallout from dehydration would show up in my kidney function numbers. In cool weather, I wouldn't get enough intense movement to raise heart rate to the levels that increase performance. With my underlying lower body issues, I'd be tired, without benefit.

I just completed my last round of lab work, my doctor agreed what I was doing was working well, said she wasn't used to patients discussing a plan, then producing the results. Kind of ironic, that ditching my physical job, and making selective use of mobility aids was part of the process. I lift weights three days a week, upper body only, enough reps to maintain an elevated heart rate, employing a circuit where I change muscle groups, but keep the heart rate up. I finish off with time on a stationary hand cycle for sustained cardio, without muscle loading. Not what the doctor ordered, but it produced the desired results.

I'm 75...I have a lot of doctors.

They all say I need to walk more.

I still drive truck PT.

Friday I went to work. My tractor is parked about 300' from my car parking spot.

I walked back and forth three times to move my stuff into the cab. I drive a different truck everyday.

That 2400' of walking.

I drove to get my trailer at the back of the lot. Three times around the 53' trailer doing my pretrip, cranking the landing gear , etc .

Another 300'.

I get to the shipper....about a 500' walk from the parking area to the shipping office. I do that three times before I have my hi visibility vest, my license for ID, pickup numbers, mother's maiden name, my dog's SS#, etc.

That's 3000'.

Two more trips to that office for my bills of lading.

That's a mile and a half for a 75 year old guy with five herniated discs, two knee replacements, two shoulder replacements ( getting a replacement replacement next week!!).

I tell that to my cardiac surgeon and he tells me that's not really exercise!

FU
I bet CS doesn't get any exercise.....
Walking is better than being completely sedentary, but the heart rate is crucial to maintaining optimum levels in multiple areas. I did a lot of walking and physical work during the 25 years I drove a dry bulk tanker. But my numbers have been way better since I retired last year, and replaced my job with my home gym, which got used vigorously during the 20 years I didn't drive a truck. Truck driving was physically demanding, but not in a good way. In summer humidity, I could spend hours pounding on the side of a tank to maintain product flow, which was good for cardio, but led to bursitis, and the fallout from dehydration would show up in my kidney function numbers. In cool weather, I wouldn't get enough intense movement to raise heart rate to the levels that increase performance. With my underlying lower body issues, I'd be tired, without benefit.

I just completed my last round of lab work, my doctor agreed what I was doing was working well, said she wasn't used to patients discussing a plan, then producing the results. Kind of ironic, that ditching my physical job, and making selective use of mobility aids was part of the process. I lift weights three days a week, upper body only, enough reps to maintain an elevated heart rate, employing a circuit where I change muscle groups, but keep the heart rate up. I finish off with time on a stationary hand cycle for sustained cardio, without muscle loading. Not what the doctor ordered, but it produced the desired results.
My labs are still pretty good and I've been doing mainly upper body on a weight machine but fell behind this past couple of weeks. My knees are getting bad so I'm not on my bicycle anymore. :(

I read thru this post and when finished - laced up my walking shoes and headed out the door for a cardio walk. I’ve been hampered the last couple of years with torn cartilage in my knee - after a year of dealing w/it had surgery. After surgery it was just as bad if not worse. So I saw a bunch of ortho opinions who all said - time for a knee replacement. To make a long story short I then pulled some strings and got into see an orthopedic that wasn’t in our plan. He had a much different opinion than the others and told me I wasn’t there yet re: knee replacement and not to do it. Kind of at a loss I really didn’t know what to do cause my knee was a problem. Well God Bless him - It had been over a year since the initial surgery and shortly after seeing him - like a month or two my knee started to feel better. I did‘t do any PT - just every day stuff and here I am now about 1O months post that last docs appt and no knee problems. A little short of a miracle. More so when you understand cartilage doesn’t heal itself - there’s no blood supply to it. While I’m astonished after 2 yrs of pain and misery it’s sudden starts to be ok - I also couldn’t be happier. Then I had a slight achilles tear that side lined me for about 6 weeks. Now that’s better and I’m off and running or actually walking for exercise again.

This thread gave me some extra motivation to get my rear end up and out the door this am. And the next day after and so on….. You can get lazy when you have a good excuse and that can linger on long after it’s not necessary……

Good to hear GetX'd. That's all it takes is to just get out and go. I had torn the meniscus in my right knee and it hurt bad on some days. I went to the doctor and he said it would either heal or we would have to operate to fix it, I would just have to wait and see. That was right before I retired and starting walking for exercise, and it healed up and the arthritis in my knees quit hurting and now I feel a whole lot better than the last few years I was working. Now I'm not afraid to take on pretty much any project I want.

I had a Widowmaker heart attack just before Christmas 2020... Lost about 20% of my heart function.

Then got an e coli infection that led to sepsis in July 2022. I was circling the drain when the amBAlance dragged my *** to the emergency room.

Four days in a coma. Five days in the hospital. That infection really affected my right side. Fell on my *** on the one step into the house...couldn't lift my leg over the door sill.

All that is better. I can now get into the work truck ok.

Next Monday I get my right shoulder replaced for the second time. 14 years of shifting wore out the first replacement.

Don't look forward to it but I have to man up once again.

Five joint replacements is a few too many. Two knees three shoulders. My winkie will be next...

This **** is getting old...

I had a Widowmaker heart attack just before Christmas 2020... Lost about 20% of my heart function.

Then got an e coli infection that led to sepsis in July 2022. I was circling the drain when the amBAlance dragged my *** to the emergency room.

Four days in a coma. Five days in the hospital. That infection really affected my right side. Fell on my *** on the one step into the house...couldn't lift my leg over the door sill.

All that is better. I can now get into the work truck ok.

Next Monday I get my right shoulder replaced for the second time. 14 years of shifting wore out the first replacement.

Don't look forward to it but I have to man up once again.

Five joint replacements is a few too many. Two knees three shoulders. My winkie will be next...

This **** is getting old...
You’re lucky to be alive my friend. I had the widow maker in 2009. Dropped like a sack of rocks in my living room. Fortunately my wife had just walked in the door and called 911. Saved my life. And only by God‘s grace zero lasting damage To my heart.

Treasure every day brother for its God that allows us to live and carry on…..

My Dr. Said for my weight I was under tall.
I have heard that before ....I'm the perfect weight for a guy who is 9-feet tall. :lol:

I had a Chinese intern locum (Doctor replacement while on vacation) tell me that I was a bit over weight.
Easy for him to say .... a guy who only eats a bowl of rice a day and has to run around in the shower just to get wet. :mob:

Don’t F$&@ around when it comes to your heart. I’ve been opened up twice and it’s not fun.
DE3A24F2-EF96-429B-8AE6-1398A4083B74.png

Don’t F$&@ around when it comes to your heart. I’ve been opened up twice and it’s not fun. View attachment 1585145
That's a pretty big scar, you have there.
Before i went in for my heart surgery, i thought i would be looking like yours.
But, they opened me up 7 inches, and when they got done, they super glued my skin back together.
No scar, and you can't even tell i was opened up.
Jim V.

AND!!! Found the chain fall in the 'clean room' after walking by it 2 freakin times!!! Got done what I needed to do and more but....too dang hot to do much more after loading the truck and putting up the chain fall.
i do that all the time to . i got a big shop full of stuff in a 2 car garage . i’m (we) long overdue on building a good size shop / barn . i need a lift and more floor space. plus storage for tractors and a couple of nice implements. got tons of tools and equipment that should be spread out and utilized….

Don’t F$&@ around when it comes to your heart. I’ve been opened up twice and it’s not fun. View attachment 1585145
Man that looks like my dad from 1979 after triple bypass after the big one hit him. He lasted until 2001 then it got him again, dropped over dead in the yard. He had 8 siblings and all but 3 died from heart problems, and only 2 are still living. That's what I had to look forward to getting older. Luckily I must have gotten more of my moms genes as she lasted until 95 when covid got her in the nursing home in 2020. That's why I'm trying to do better now.

Auto Transport Service
Back