• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dropping 904 transmission while on jacks. Clearance questions.

jogirob

Local time
3:00 PM
Reaction score
I have the car on jacks almost as high as they'll go, it doesn't look like there would be enough clearance to slide the transmission & jack out the side, i'd most likely have to pull it out through the front of the car and even then I think I'll have to get some oversized 6ton jack stands just so I can get more height without maxing out the towers.(it's jacked slightly higher at the front with two 3 ton jacks up front and two 2 tons at the rear + spare jack on the differential). Problem is that I'm going to have a jack at the front supporting the engine. Solution?
/discuss

Agree - pulling a trans out the bottom on a jack is a pita. Ive done the unthinkable and slid the trans off the jack and pulled it out on a piece of cardboard. Then when ready to reinstall, had a friend help put the trans back on the jack ... while under the car (good fun right there).

Solution to the jack on the motor is to slide a piece of wood between oil pan and the steering center link. That’ll support the motor just fine.

lol My kid was pissed when i snapped it in half.. I ran it over by accident.

You can slide the trans out the side. The bell housing will have to come through the fender well, behind the tire. Like HT413 said, after removing the cross member, let the oil pan rest on the centerlink with a thin piece of wood between. Be safe!
20170303_204553.jpg

I made a plate that attaches to my floor jack. I had a ratchet strap around the trans and plate.
20170303_222857_001.jpg

lol My kid was pissed when i snapped it in half.. I ran it over by accident.

Funny I was just talking about this with a coworker. He’s in his 20’s, so he loves his ‘classic’ 86 mustang (I know). He pulled that little T5 out the bottom by hand. Little toy.

I just went through this putting a 727 in a 74 Duster. I slid it in on cardboard and then lifted it on the tranny jack that was under car. Hardest part was lifting tranny up on jack. 904 is a little lighter than a 727 so may be a little easier. Other problem is no room between firewall and tranny on Duster to put bolts in. I have cuts all over my arms but it's finally in and bolted up.

You can slide the trans out the side. The bell housing will have to come through the fender well, behind the tire. Like HT413 said, after removing the cross member, let the oil pan rest on the centerlink with a thin piece of wood between. Be safe!
View attachment 674654

I made a plate that attaches to my floor jack. I had a ratchet strap around the trans and plate.
View attachment 674655
Like the way you did yours. I didn't have a welder so I drilled and taped the swivel plate. The two drilled & tapped about 4/5" apart, cut a 1/2 plywood 15 X15 and with counter sunk bolted to the swivel plate.

This thread and forum is a treasure trove of good ideas. I was thinking about it at work and was wondering if a 2x4 laying accross the engine bay is strong enough to support some straps looped under the engine and back.

I'm a lone ranger around these parts so I'm going to get a good transmission jack with 3 axis swivels to make it as easy as possible on myself. At worse the 904 weighs like 127Lbs. I think I can do the jack to cardboard transfer alright once I get the torque converter off.

I built these for about $40.......

image000001-10.jpg

image000001.jpg

image000001-2.jpg

image000001-11.jpg

Built them in 2 halves because I couldn't jack it high enough in one shot...

image000001-7.jpg

image000001-9.jpg

image000001-14.jpg

Even then I barely slid my 727 out....but boy did I feel safe under it at least!

Jeff

Don't use 2X4 's across the fenders because you'll just have more body work to do from the dent's they'll put in the fenders. I learned that the hard way on my 55 Chevy 56 years ago. Don't think supporting engine in the bay would really help.

Looks like a trip to HomeDepot is in my future. THat's definitely a lot more lift than I can get even if I went out and got a pair of 6 ton stands.

Looks like a trip to HomeDepot is in my future. THat's definitely a lot more lift than I can get even if I went out and got a pair of 6 ton stands.
Way WAY safer too....
You'll thank yourself after they're made....and you'll have them for future projects.

Jeff

So, why are you pulling the 904?
Rebuilding it? Yourself?
They're EASY....Pulling and reinstalling it are way harder than the rebuild. ..

Jeff

So, why are you pulling the 904?
Rebuilding it? Yourself?
They're EASY....Pulling and reinstalling it are way harder than the rebuild. ..

Jeff
Glad to hear. Disconnecting for the drop has been pretty smooth so far. 2nd gear started slipping and band adjustments didn't help. The transmission has about 2XX,*** miles so rather than troubleshoot I'm just rebuilding the entire thing. Got the FSM, a 904/747 rebuild book, and a Haynes. Also the help of a few YouTube vids. and specialized equipment. Just skirting around dropping $1750-3000 for a drop and rebuild. That's what I was quoted in my area.

Glad to hear. Disconnecting for the drop has been pretty smooth so far. 2nd gear started slipping and band adjustments didn't help. The transmission has about 2XX,*** miles so rather than troubleshoot I'm just rebuilding the entire thing. Got the FSM, a 904/747 rebuild book, and a Haynes. Also the help of a few YouTube vids. and specialized equipment. Just skirting around dropping $1750-3000 for a drop and rebuild. That's what I was quoted in my area.

I did mine for about $400
You're in California, where about?
I can loan you the only special tool you'll need - special spring compressor.

image000000-6 (2).jpg

And if you're really close I could even help you....

Jeff

Auto Transport Service
Back