• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dropping 904 transmission while on jacks. Clearance questions.

To keep the engine from tilting back: the service manuals I have say to use a length of chain from one torsion bar to the other at the back of the oil pan. Wrap the torsion bars in rags so they don't get scratched.
It worked for me.

It's been 3 years since I rebuilt my 904. I also used a bottle jack and a block of wood at the back of the oil pan.
I was able to use c clamps for the clutch pack piston. Tricky, but doable.
Also there are two industrial strength snap rings in the extension housing that might give you fits.
The pumps on 904s require a tool to assemble, but you can start the bolts, then drop it in the transmission case and tighten them (before you put o ring on).

The 904 is in a 69 coronet.
When I replaced the transmission in my 73 Charger with a 400, I used chain wrapped around the braces in the engine compartment (firewall to fender) and bolted the chain to the back of the cylinder heads.

Auto Transport Service
Back