• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Drum to disk conversion

68 440+6 R/T

Local time
11:11 PM
Reaction score
Can this power brake booster power disk brakes just in the front, or will it need to be changed to the bendix booster?

IMG_3406.jpeg

Looks like that is the midland-ross single diaphragm booster. I have that in mine and it is power drum front and back. It's interesting because I got a re-manufactured one from O'Reilly and they specifically call that one out as front and rear drum. Then the other ones like in the service manual they do not specify. But at some point I remember that dual diaphragm is correct for front disc rear drum -- so you probably need to get the correct booster.
Just make sure you set the push rod depth correctly, what a PITA if you forget that! I bled a few times until I remembered I needed to set the pushrod depth. Now the four drums lock up and skid if I slam on the brakes -- stops on a dime with all drum. But I replaced everything -- lines, wheel cylinders, all springs and shoes, new nors drums, new master cylinder, booster. Even put in DOT 5. For a while I was just convined that drums brakes suck or DOT 5 was a bad idea and I needed to upgrade and flush the lines. But after I got a push rod depth gauge and set it, the car stops very well. Not modern disc, but very reliable. I just wanted to try to keep it stock since I wanted the red paint on the drums to show through the magnums. Anyway, just sharing my experience.

Auto Transport Service
Back