• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dual Quads On My 383?

I always thought that on a dual quad you ran two smaller carbs than you would on a single

I ran 390s on that tr for years, went to 600s it was a different animal, efi takes the win.

I always thought that on a dual quad you ran two smaller carbs than you would on a single, after years of running two carter 500s, I found out that on the Offy intake you needed to size them as if you had a single quad. I read this someplace and then found an old catalog that said as much. I now have two decent 500s on the shelf as I changed to 750s because of what I found out, and can't say there was a night and day difference. Page 14
http://offenhauser.co/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Offenhauser-Catalog-1987.pdf
Ok, went to page 14 and found the progressive linkage, thanks for that. Now, am I to understand that you replaced your 500s with 750s on the Offy intake on your 383? Please straighten me out.

I'm with you.....I grew up in the mid-60s and 70s those who missed that time missed THE best era EVER, IMO.
I grew up in exactly the same era and it was the BEST time on planet earth!

Ok, went to page 14 and found the progressive linkage, thanks for that. Now, am I to understand that you replaced your 500s with 750s on the Offy intake on your 383? Please straighten me out.

Sorry about that, the top of the page I'm referring to says, Offenhauser's guide to proper carburation, it shows page 14 here but it's probably my computer labelling it wrong. The carb swap was done on a big block Buick and the catalog does not make a distinction between makes as far as sizing goes, and I'm still playing with it so we'll see. I didn't use the progressive linkage either, I just did the threaded rod and heim joint thing mostly bc I had it laying around.

Auto Transport Service
Back