• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dyno numbers of 500 cui stroker OK ?

The peak horsepower seems low at 4200rpm. Every bb mopar dyno curve I have seen builds to 5000 at least before falling off.

He doesn't say what carb/intake/exhaust is on that combo but something is acting as a choke, most likely, worse choke than the small cam/unported head. Maybe it has stock exhausts manifolds or a dual plane intake.

The cam is too small, and the heads are barely large enough if they are as-cast. The heads won't flow much more than 250-260 with that cam and that's at max lift. You need another .100 lift, and at least another 20° of duration at .050 to make bigger numbers and honestly you really need ported heads. The last 496 I did makes 440+ to the tires, 460+ tq through factory exhaust manifolds with a slightly larger cam than you have. But the heads are stage 3 hand ported and flow decently. Big engines must be fed, or they make huge torque, and then die off quick. I'll add the six pack should also be set up with jet plates and well tuned because you'll also lose some there if it's not.

The new owner of my ex-300 told me he was getting 380+ whp and over 550+ ft/lbs with the 509 cam at 110 centerline, the police 400 V8's street ported heads with MP walvetrain, Holley strip dominator and the three bbl 950cfm. Trans was the original push button 727, rebuilt of course using a trans-Go kit and TCI 10" converter........

Auto Transport Service
Back