• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E-bays Global Shipping Program

monroegtx

Local time
1:51 AM
Reaction score
I don't know if too many of you folks in the States have had much to do with ebays global shipping program, especially from a receivers point of view, but I'm sure most of us OS members would have had dealings with them. I'd just like to share my experience.

On about the 2nd April this year I bought a Carter 4741 from a seller in the US. The add stipulated shipping through ebays gsp. As far as I know ebays global shipping program was set up to make it easier for regular people to ship globally. So far so good. I made two payments through Paypal, one to the seller for the carb and to cover shipping to the exporter, and the other payment to Pitney-Bowes, who handle the global shipping for ebay. The parcel was scanned into the distribution centre in Erlanger Kentucky a couple of days later. So far so good. I checked each day to see when it would be on its way and no movement from the centre was shown. After about a week I get an email from Paypal saying that my payment was being refunded for this transaction because the item (my carby) didn't meet import regulations and couldn't be shipped. I have had carbys shipped from the States before, no problem.
This is when I emailed the customer support centre for an explanation. I have attached the email correspondence below for those that are interested, my first email is at the bottom. At the time I assumed that the carby had been sent back to the seller, I tried contacting him to re-do the deal through another shipping company but never got a reply. Probably wasn't happy with the way the deal went down. Obviously they did not send the carby back to him, and I don't know whether he would have received anything for it now at all. In the end (even though I was refunded) I lose out on a hard to find, date correct, carby for my car, and the poor bloody seller I can only assume has lost out on the money and the carb.
This all sounds a bit funny to me. If the carby wasn't cleaned properly for import then that is just a minor hickup and one that can be fixed. To tell me that it didn't go back to the seller and was being held at their hub, and then when I offer to have it picked up change their mind and say it has already been disposed of. You would think that they would have asked the seller to come and get it if they didn't want to ship it back. Sounds like someone took a liking to it. I have had three items go through the global shipping program, I received the first one, they lost the second one so no delivery there, and now they have refused to ship the third. Never had a problem with shipping till that program came along, and I've bought a lot of old unclean items.

If anybody sees a Carter 4741, with a buid date of J9 on it, for sale in the Erlanger Kentucky area, have a heart and let us know. Sorry about the long winded letter, but had to get it out. :angryfire:

RE: Re: A Message from eBay Global Shipping SR# 1-25029491703
Sent: 29-Apr-14 06:00
eBay sent this message to
Your registered name is included to show this message came from eBay. Learn more about how to tell if an email is really from eBay.

RE: Re: A Message from eBay Global Shipping SR# 1-25029491703

Hello monroegto ([email protected]),

Unfortunately, the item will not be available for pickup. The item has been liquidated once the item is not able to shipped through customs.

We apologize about the frustration.

Thanks,

eBay

Sent: 4/26/2014 12:49:24 AM
To: [email protected]
CC:
Subject: Re: A Message from eBay Global Shipping SR# 1-25029491703

Hi.
Since the carburettor is being held at the Global Shipping Hub for future disposal, I would appreciate you sending me the address and I will have it collected by a fellow car club member in your area. Once that is done you can notify ebay or paypal and the transaction between myself and the seller can be redone. This seems to me to be a reasonable solution to a very mishandled situation. If I had been informed of the problems with shipping before any re-imbursment action was taken, then this carby would already now have been reconditioned and on its way to me. Look forward to hearing from you soon.
Regards,

On 26/04/2014, at 7:05 AM, [email protected] wrote:

eBay sent this message to (monroegto).
Your registered name is included to show this message came from eBay. Learn more about how to tell if an email is really from eBay.

A Message from eBay Global Shipping SR# 1-25029491703

ITem number: 321362235157

Thank you for contacting eBay Global Shipping. Unfortunately, the item will not go back to your Seller and therefore will stay at the Global Shipping Hub so that eBay can liquidate the item on our own domestically. Because the item was restricted in Customs this is why we gave you the refund. I understand that it was an item that was difficult to find but the Global Shipping Program or not this item would not pass customs and no carrier would want to transport such an item because of risk. I hope this has answered some of your questions and i'm sorry for the frustrating transaction.

Thanks,

eBay Global Shipping Team

Sent: 4/23/2014 12:31:53 PM
CC:
Subject: Re: Global Shipping Program: Undelivered Item - CARTER AVS OEM 1970 CHRYSLER DODGE MOPAR 440 4 BBL CARBURETOR 4741(321362235157) SR# 1-24330909165

Hi Nicole,

I realise that there has been an Easter break since the last correspondence, but I was wondering if there has been any progress on the resolution of this matter?
Regards,

On 15/04/2014, at 4:42 PM, glenn nelson wrote:

Begin forwarded message:

Date: 15 April 2014 4:42:12 PM AEST
Subject: Re: Global Shipping Program: Undelivered Item - CARTER AVS OEM 1970 CHRYSLER DODGE MOPAR 440 4 BBL CARBURETOR 4741(321362235157) SR# 1-24330909165

Hi Nicole,

Thank you for responding. I understand that if the carby wasn't cleaned properly before shipping then this could be a problem. My main concern however is the fact that I was not contacted before the item was sent back to the seller, and a refund issued to me. I realise that the terms of use of the GSP state that if they are unable to ship the item, because of not meeting import regulations, then they can issue a refund. However I never assumed that they would do this without first contacting me, so that I would have the opportunity to rectify the problem. After all, once I had paid for it, I then became the legal owner of it. This particular part was hard to find, especially for a reasonable price, and now I have lost ownership of it. Had I been informed of the problem, I would have paid Global to send it to a workshop in the States and had it reconditioned, and then paid them again to pick it up and ship it to me. Even though they stand by the letter of the terms and conditions of use, I find their conduct in this case unacceptable and totally unprofessional. I have tried contacting the seller, but unfortunately I have had no response. I feel that ebay or global should work to obtain this item back on my behalf, and give me the opportunity to get it to a workshop and have it reconditioned. As far as I am concerned I am still the legal owner of this carby. Even though the refund was given I was not a party to that transaction. I would appreciate further correspondence on this matter.
Regards,

On 15/04/2014, at 9:47 AM, [email protected] wrote:

eBay sent this message to (monroegto).

RE: Global Shipping Program: Undelivered Item - CARTER AVS OEM 1970 CHRYSLER DODGE MOPAR 440 4 BBL CARBURETOR 4741(321362235157) SR# 1-24330909165

Thank you for taking the time to contact eBay Global Shipping. After reviewing your e-mail and your transaction I understand that you have some questions about why we were not able to get this item to you. I am sorry for any confusion. I looked into this and the reason why we were not able to get this item delivered to you is because it may have contained some gasoline and has to be considered hazmat and cannot be shipped. I apologize for confusion or frustration that this may cause. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns that I can help you with. Have a great day!

Thanks,
Nicole

eBay Global Shipping

Sent: 4/9/2014 8:47:06 PM
CC:
Subject: Global Shipping Program: Undelivered Item - CARTER AVS OEM 1970 CHRYSLER DODGE MOPAR 440 4 BBL CARBURETOR 4741(321362235157)

Query about Undelivered item sold through Global Shipping Program. Hi. I was wondering what part of a carburettor is not suitable for shipping? I have had carby's shipped from the States before without any problems. Why is there an issue with this one? Memberid: monroegto Purchase date: 4/2/14
[THREAD ID: 1-B6DZTNB]

eBay Document ID: 9666706003
Learn More about how to protect yourself from spoof (fake) emails.

This administrative email was sent to [email protected] from eBay. As outlined in our User Agreement, eBay will periodically send you required emails about site changes, site enhancements, and your transactions. Read our Privacy Policy and User Agreement for more details if you have any questions.

Copyright ©2014 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc. eBay Inc. is located at 2145 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, CA 95125.

That really sucks, that seller should have known to make sure there was no gas or gas odor coming from that carb, even domestically that could be a problem.
I feel for you and hope you find another.

I agree with your frustration, but the reality is these people are dealing with thousands of shipments every day, so they aren't going to take the time or effort to get too involved with any one item. What's important is getting packages through the mill with the least time and effort possible, and if it's easier to and more cost effective to issue a refund than spend hours dealing with third parties or waiting for customers and vendors to make decisions, they're going to do it.

I would be interested to know exactly what "liquidate" means. Companies often have insurance to cover situations like this, and if insurance pays them they have to destroy the item, but I'm wondering how else they might liquidate these items.

I ship some of my fiberglass hood scoops through this ebay Global Shipping program. I tried sending a 67 R/O scoop to England via that same place in Kentucky and they kept the scoop and gave the money back to the English guy. The reason was that the box was 2 inches too big. Kentucky kept the scoop and will auction it off and we may see this scoop on ebay again but not from Sled City Fiberglass, (oldwoody426---on ebay)

I guess I can sympathize with ebay on this one. Anyone who has visited a US Post Office and stood in line for an hour behind a dozen people trying to ship stuff in boxes with the wrong paper work, wrong markings, wrong tape, wrong exterior, too big, has hazmat, and on and on, knows there are a lot of Americans who are clueless when it comes to shipping something. I can just imagine what it's like dealing with thousands of packages like that every day.

That shipping program is just another money grab for Ebag and the middleman!!
WHY??? DO YOU need someone else do the job you should be able to do yourself, like they say if you want it done right DO IT YOURSELF!
BOLLOCKS!!!

I've only had one of my purchase items ever go to the GSP... It was Testors Brand model paint #1234 for my Meep Meep horn and guess what happened... they refused to ship due to hazardous material specifications and issued me a refund on the product but NOT THE SHIPPING...

Is is a total BS scam... that's the last thing I attempted to buy off ebay... and yes I had bought and shipped paint with the same haz mat ratings prior to this

I guess I can sympathize with ebay on this one. Anyone who has visited a US Post Office and stood in line for an hour behind a dozen people trying to ship stuff in boxes with the wrong paper work, wrong markings, wrong tape, wrong exterior, too big, has hazmat, and on and on, knows there are a lot of Americans who are clueless when it comes to shipping something. I can just imagine what it's like dealing with thousands of packages like that every day.
I appreciate what your saying here Bruzilla, but we're not dealing with a post office here that has strict size and weight and goods regulations. This is a so called shipping company who has stepped up to ebay and said we can make shipping easier for your clients. A shipping company is supposed to offer shipping options not ultimatums. If you can't do it, give the people an opportunity to find an alternative. I appreciate that if they are acting as a customs agent then they are probably bound to hold onto an item that may be considered hazmat, but like you said earlier I would be interested to know how they liquidate such items. I can see them probably making some money out of future auctions. I can't understand how they can hold onto Glassman's hood scoops though just because they were a couple of inches oversize. This wasn't a Hazmat issue or anything dangerous at all. Most shipping companies would just re-adjust the cubic cost and charge you accordingly. Again why not email the customer and inform him to come pick it up because it doesn't fit there criteria. To keep it and then auction it off is the same as stealing the bloody thing. Not having a go at you here Bruzilla, just combining some thoughts on the other replies into one response here. There methods seem to be a bit unprofessional here. As 1962savoy says, I think they have just jumped onto the ebay band wagon to make a quick buck. They certainly haven't made shipping issues any easier.

I've been buying and selling on eBay since 2002, like savoy said, do it yourself, Ive never had one come back, and I've never used their BS shipping service either. Anything with an odor, gets air tight bagged and a dryer sheet.

monroe that sucks man. hopefully it works out better next time. That's crazy they just said "it's liquidated" it made it that far why can't they ship it back??
Thanks for the heads up though.

I've been buying and selling on eBay since 2002, like savoy said, do it yourself, Ive never had one come back, and I've never used their BS shipping service either. Anything with an odor, gets air tight bagged and a dryer sheet.

What are you shipping?? lol

I've shipped motorcycle fuel tanks, carburetors, stuff you can't always get all the smell out of, I've even used the ole perfume trick, whatever mask the smell, fabreeze it....I try to be vague as legally possible in the customs descriptions, I know they want a pretty accurate description, when I ship a carburetor, I list it as aluminum cast, metering jets, bowl, float and misc assembled components...lol

I appreciate what your saying here Bruzilla, but we're not dealing with a post office here that has strict size and weight and goods regulations. This is a so called shipping company who has stepped up to ebay and said we can make shipping easier for your clients. A shipping company is supposed to offer shipping options not ultimatums. If you can't do it, give the people an opportunity to find an alternative. I appreciate that if they are acting as a customs agent then they are probably bound to hold onto an item that may be considered hazmat, but like you said earlier I would be interested to know how they liquidate such items. I can see them probably making some money out of future auctions. I can't understand how they can hold onto Glassman's hood scoops though just because they were a couple of inches oversize. This wasn't a Hazmat issue or anything dangerous at all. Most shipping companies would just re-adjust the cubic cost and charge you accordingly. Again why not email the customer and inform him to come pick it up because it doesn't fit there criteria. To keep it and then auction it off is the same as stealing the bloody thing. Not having a go at you here Bruzilla, just combining some thoughts on the other replies into one response here. There methods seem to be a bit unprofessional here. As 1962savoy says, I think they have just jumped onto the ebay band wagon to make a quick buck. They certainly haven't made shipping issues any easier.

I agree with you 100%, but look at the other side of the equation. What happens if ebay sends an item off to a foreign country that doesn't meet the import requirements for that country? Depending on the country it could end up vanishing, it could end up being held for months and months, it could end up being damaged while awaiting or during shipment back, or the destination country could confiscate it. Worse, if there's something like hazmat that precludes shipment to a foreign country, it could well mean it can't be shipped back to the US either, all of which adds up to a ton of liability. Most buyers aren't going to want to hear about all the problems with shipping, they're going to demand they get their item or their money, and ebay can only control one of those... the money. And all the situations I mentioned would be bad for ebay as they would have to issue a refund and get nothing for it, which isn't a smart way to run a business.

I also agree with you on the buyer having an option to take some action like you wanted to, but then again you have to look at the logistics of doing that. These folks are dealing with tens of thousands of packages every day. How would you suggest you make what you want a possibility? Let's assume just 10% of packages are undeliverable for one reason or another, that's likely going to be 1,000 to 2,000 (just an estimate) packages every day that you would need to contact the buyers about. Then most buyers are going to have no idea what action to take, and they're going to ask you what they can do, which means you have to investigate what their options are. Then you have to wait for them to decide, then you have to take some action like sending the package back to the sender, getting the package to a third-party as you requested, or issue a refund. And after that, what option do you think most buyers are going to want? Most likely a refund. So do you make your service more, and perhaps prohibitively, expensive by adding a large number of people to perform all these services, take up a lot of warehouse space holding packages while you wait for the buyer to decide what they want to do, and paying to ship items back to senders or to third parties, all so you can respond to most of these buyers needs by issuing a refund; or do you cut your losses and just make it policy to issue a refund and liquidate the item?

I agree with what you're saying here Bruzilla, to a degree, especially in regards to hazmat or even organic products which could hold disease. But just because they agree to send something is not a guarantee that it will get through the receiving countries customs anyway. They even say in there terms that the buyer will still be liable for any costs incurred if the item is taken by customs of the import country, and fair enough too. That's no different than the risk a buyer takes anyway. I imported a pair of old exhaust manifolds a year or so ago. These were taken by customs and inspected before being released to me, at an additional charge of $200. Although it hurts to part with the extra money, that's there job to ensure that nothing is coming into the country that might be damaging to the flora or fauna. They probably fumigated the parts before releasing to ensure they were clean. As a buyer, you are at the mercy of the seller sending you cleaned parts (of course I'm talking about used parts here). In regards to better communication I do understand the logistics of it. I work in warehousing and have daily dealings with numerous transport companies. Even the larger ones like TNT and DHL, (mostly in-country but some international), contact us when there are shipping issues and we in turn contact our clients. Some companies charge holding fees for goods that are held up for whatever reason. All companies that are in this business have regular reports of current and projected volumes, and have appropriate staff to handle this. So whether its 100 a day or 1000 generally doesn't affect customer communication as they would have customer support staff to handle issues.

We can go to and fro for days here and not get anywhere. Right or wrong, everyone is entitled to their opinion. If they had given an explanation on the original “refund coming” email, something like this, “We are unable to proceed with the shipment of your purchase due to contaminants being found on the item. We are bound by customs laws to now confiscate this item and dispose of it. Sorry for any inconvenience and a refund will be issued to you shortly.” I would have been annoyed, sure, but that would have been the end of it. Instead they wrote this, “Your purchase was not able to be shipped due to not meeting import regulations. You will recieve a refund from Paypal shortly”. When I replied asking what was wrong with it I received this, “Most buyers and sellers do not read our terms and conditions which state that we can refund when an item does not meet certain criteria. Unfortunately this often results in the loss of the item to both parties. Sorry for the inconvenience”. The copied emails at the start of this thread were from when I went to ebays customer service. Unfortunately I deleted the two emails, that I just quoted from memory, at the time in disgust, so I couldn’t put them on here. But I assure you the wording was very similar.

My main gripe here is not about whether they have the right to do what they have done, but more about their lack of customer service. Both the company involved and ebay, claim this service to be about making it easier and smoother for buyers and sellers to ship their goods with a minimum of hassle, claiming that they will do all the legwork for you. Yet they don’t seem to have their clients best interests at heart when things don’t go quite to plan.

A lot of members on this site buy and sell a lot of stuff, and I think most would like to be informed when a fellow member has an issue with a particular company.
I’ll finish off by including an extract form the Global shipping terms and conditions relating to your goods. Would be interested to know how many people would still be willing to place their goods into the care of these people?

If eBay or Pitney Bowes conclude that a parcel is undeliverable and elect to dispose of or liquidate a parcel, title to the parcel (and its contents) shall transfer automatically from your Seller to eBay, Pitney Bowes and/or any third party designated by either eBay or Pitney Bowes (as eBay and Pitney Bowes may elect), at no cost to either eBay or Pitney Bowes (or to any third party designated by eBay or Pitney Bowes), and eBay and Pitney Bowes (and any third party designated by eBay or Pitney Bowes) shall retain all proceeds (if any) received from the disposal or liquidation of the parcel and/or its contents). eBay or Pitney Bowes may also elect to return to your Seller any parcels that eBay or Pitney Bowes conclude are undeliverable.

I’m sure Glassman didn’t get a call! This is 2” too long, should we send it back to the seller. Nah, keep it , we’ll sell it at auction.

Auto Transport Service
Back