• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EFI Fuel pumps

Darius

Local time
2:11 AM
Reaction score
When I built my car I bought a B Body fuel tank from XV Motorsports that was set up with a pump in the tank. The piece of **** has failed already and I don't even have 2000 miles on it!! (Wonder why they went tango uniform??)
Any way, just looking for suggestions based on experience from anyone who has a similar set up with a reliable pump...what is a good pump to get ????

Areomotive 340, Walboro 392 are just a few off the top of my head.

Ran twin walbro's with success on a modern boosted car. Happily run them again if the need arose. What ever you get, just make sure they are genuine and not a knock off, there were a lot in the market about 3-5 years ago.

The existing pump was a Walbro 322. It flat failed. Don't know why. Ordered a Holley and we shall see how that turns out.

Aeromotive comes to mind but perhaps the plumbing setup is taxing the pump to the point where it fails. Another cause is insufficient amperage to the pump due to wire sizes. As the pumps warp up in duty they need to be able to get sufficient amperage to operate. Give your pump tech a call and you may be surprised what they recommend for supply and return line sizes, amperage and wire size, and weather they run in PWM mode for single line. They will be more than glad to offer you the correct information lest their pumps make the "wall of shame" for products. I know I'm sometimes guilty of "when all else fails, read the manual" frame of mind. Talk to the reps to make sure the onnice is on them should something go wrong.

It turns out the holley is actually a Walbro pump GSS340!!! Holley uses Walbro pumps and puts their "fixins" on it.
The cause of the other pump fail was a loose pin connection on the ground side on the INSIDE of the tank. Where the pump lead attaches to the underside of the harness connector. It actually melted the plastic grommet a little. Could have been a real bad thing I think had we not caught that in time!

For sure, check your voltage and amps at the pump. Too little of either will fry it. If there is a relay in the mix, you may want to replace it too. I found out about the relay deal when I had replaced the pump on my 94 1500 5.9 for the 3rd time. Relay was bad, not giving the pump enough poop to run. Also, have you run it low or out of fuel? In tank pumps don't like that!

Bosch 040 in tank and 044 in line pumps, 300gph, ran a 040 in tank on my srt4 with mods and a 60-1 turbo and 1000cc injectors, got two 044 in line ones for my 67 dart twin turbo build, have one run with key on then the second one kicks on at a higher rpm, all controlled by the fuel injection set up

Auto Transport Service
Back