• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electronic ignition conversion

Jim Martello

Local time
12:10 AM
Reaction score
I have 1970 Roadrunner with 383... converted to electronic ignition. Now have persistent backfire through carb.
Rebuilt carb, timed, new coil... wired Through ballast & coil.
Any suggestions?
Didn’t t have issue before conversion.
Thank you!

See my question about installing the distributor EXACTLY oriented.

Couple plug wires in wrong holes in cap?

check the firing order it is 18436572 counter clock wise

Spark jumping wire to wire. Start car in dark with hood open.

If it won't start post #2, but I think if it starts, then it is one of the other posts.

Go through the motions maybe......
DistAlign.jpg

Retard timing and adjust a/f ratio. Running to lean if it backfires through carb.

Of course check all the obvious stuff plug wires ect. I did conversion to Mopar Performance electronic ignition on my 66 Charger, 383, mild cam, 727 automatic a few years ago. All installed as per Mopar Performance instructions w/proper resistor and swapped out points style voltage regulator for solid state type as indicated. Started right up, all good. Setting timing as in directed in the instructions is important. You end up with much more advance than the 12.5 deg that the shop manual specs show. I was surprised the amount of initial I ended up at but all runs great following the procedure in the instructions..

Auto Transport Service
Back