• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electronics on a 440

montanaesq

Local time
7:46 AM
Reaction score
Merry Christmas!
I recently acquired a 68 Road Runner with a 440. I'm thinking of swapping to an electric fuel pump and electronic ignition. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what I should consider for this? Any other "upgrades" I should look at? Also looking for a grille. Thanks-
Tracy

Congrats on your new car! I have a soft spot for Road Runners!!

Electronic ignition is definitely an upgrade. You can get the MoPar kit, which comes with a new dizzy and everything you need to hook it up. Money well spent in my opinion. Or you can put in a Pertronix for less money but you should make sure your existing dizzy is in good shape and the advance curve is correct.

Nothing wrong with an electric pump but no need to go over board. If you're building a 9 sec monster then you need lots of fuel but a street car with a few mods you can get by with factory hi-po rated components. Stock 5/16" line will be fine too. The electric pump has the benefit of keeping the engine heat away from the fuel because the pump isn't bolted to the block, but unless you have issues in that area don't bother. I'm running a Holley mechanical on a 440 with 5/16" lines and my car runs 109 MPH in the quarter - meaning it makes some decent power to 6 KRPM and I have no fuel issues at all.

I might have a grille and I know I have the headlight bezels. Not in the best of shape but priced right! PM for details.

Auto Transport Service
Back