• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine and trans install?

wsutard

Local time
11:35 AM
Reaction score
I’m about to put my new 440 in the 69 Coronet. Is it advisable to mount the 4 speed up first and then angle/lower them in together? As apposed to lowering the engine in then installing the bell and trans from below, on the floor.

I have a Harbor Freight cherry picker with a max of 1/2 ton at its max extension. I would go grab one of those angle mounts if I did this.

I've done both ways. If the engine/trans are going in together then the car has to be raised high enough to allow the tail shaft to hang down without hitting the floor. With the eng/trans together you need a couple of helpers to guide so you don't scratch the inner fenders.
Probably not relevant to your situation, but if its a resto and the front suspension and K member are out, its easiest to bolt the engine/trans to the K and lower the car body onto the assembly like they did in the factory.

I've done both ways. If the engine/trans are going in together then the car has to be raised high enough to allow the tail shaft to hang down without hitting the floor. With the eng/trans together you need a couple of helpers to guide so you don't scratch the inner fenders.
Probably not relevant to your situation, but if its a resto and the front suspension and K member are out, its easiest to bolt the engine/trans to the K and lower the car body onto the assembly like they did in the factory.
I have done the k frame method prior when I upgraded my suspension. This time it’s still in the car. Now that I look at the load levelers more I’m not sure if I can make it work. I have all my accessories on the front and there isn’t a location to mount the chain to. I thought I could use the carb plate but the spacing of the chains on the leveler make me think it won’t work.

That's how I like to do it...much easier. Bolt it all up and then slide it in in one big assembly..just make sure there's enough room between the floor and the underside of the car for the tailshaft to angle in..hood off and car on jackstands. You don't necessarily need the angle thingy if you position the chains just right. A helper definitely makes the job easier, but you can do it yourself if need be. You'll just have to go back and forth lowering the boom a little, and then bringing up the trans a little to slowly level it.. the engine will eventually drop down on it's mounts and then it's just a matter of bolting the engine mounts and the trans crossmember and you're done (then the real fun begins right? Putting everything else back on!)

I have done the k frame method prior when I upgraded my suspension. This time it’s still in the car. Now that I look at the load levelers more I’m not sure if I can make it work. I have all my accessories on the front and there isn’t a location to mount the chain to. I thought I could use the carb plate but the spacing of the chains on the leveler make me think it won’t work.
I've always used the extra hole on the intake face of the heads... There should be one on either end of both heads ( the one usually used for the stock throttle return spring bracket) especially if the intake is already sealed up and bolted on

I've always used the extra hole on the intake face of the heads... There should be one on either end of both heads ( the one usually used for the stock throttle return spring bracket) especially if the intake is already sealed up and bolted on
My Eddy’s just have one hole open on each head. One front driver and one rear passenger. Is that enough to hold the weight of this engine?

Go to local auto parts store and get one of the plates that bolt to the intake. That’s what I use.

I have that. How do I then use a load leveler with that?
Doesn’t your load leveler have a hook on the end? My plate has 3 holes on the top for the hook. My load leveler is from harbor freight and it has a hook on the end

082B2FBF-9C3C-4C52-B7E3-2B48C6E6CEC9.jpeg

My mistake mine doesn’t have the hook on the leveler, if you have help just use the hook on the hoist and have someone push the tail shaft down as you move it in.

My Eddy’s just have one hole open on each head. One front driver and one rear passenger. Is that enough to hold the weight of this engine?
Yep get some bolts that thread in all the way and put a little anti-seize on them

Also, Never use cheap, weak bolts.
Ok, you guys have me believing now. I’m going to pick up a leveler and try to get this done. Would be so sweet not to have to wrestle with the trans and bell from underneath.

Best way is to raise/lower the car onto the k-frame/drive train assy... if you can.

Best way is to raise/lower the car onto the k-frame/drive train assy... if you can.
Yes, I have actually done this before. However the k frame is still in the car and I’m not undoing the suspension this time around.

It was awesome just to lower the car down on the engine though!

can the car lowering method be done successfully without a lift? What do you rest the engine/k frame/transmission assembly to during the process?
Sorry to hijack

can the car lowering method be done successfully without a lift? What do you rest the engine/k frame/transmission assembly to during the process?
Sorry to hijack
If you're doing it at home, the cheap way is to rest it on 4x4 wood.

I would buy/borrow a different sort of load leveller. Mine was about $40 USD equivalent. You can slowly angle the whole lot in without stopping and unhooking.
20180304_101341.jpg

Sorry to hijack
I lowered the unit with the cherry picker onto a furniture dolly I picked up from Harbor Freight. Once that was down I then switched the picker over to the front of the car and then used that to lift it up enough to hen slide the kframe engine trans combo out.

Auto Transport Service
Back