• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine install from underneath

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:38 AM
Reaction score
It looks like I will be RErebuilding my 440/493. The flat tappet MP 528 solid cam lost at least 3 lobes and I just can't risk further damage by putting in another cam without first pulling the engine and cleaning it all out. This situation would be a real pisser but it gives me the opportunity to make a few changes for power and reliability.
Last year, I swapped in a Tremec 5 speed. I have never done an engine R & R with a manual trans. I am thinking that I'll pull them together and reinstall them together.
Because of this, I am going to do a "body drop" installation and maybe even a removal.
I plan to make some sort of cart or stand with casters. I will fab and weld something together so that I can wheel it under the car, lower the car with a car lift and bolt it all up. I might make the transmission section "bolt together" to make this thing easier to stow or transport.
I would really appreciate some input and pictures if possible. I don't know how tall to make this thing. I'd probably need to make it adjustable so I can use it with other arrangements, I.E. B body B/RB with A/T, A body LA with 904 or 727.
Show me what you did!
Thanks!

I saw these pictures....

Body drop 1.jpg
Body drop 2.jpg

Body drop 3.jpeg

I will need to support the K member in a manner that allows access to install the mounting bolts.

I modified an aluminum dolly I had in the shop......I drilled some holes and screwed some lumber to it where necessary, probably took an hour

dolly.jpg

dolly2.jpg

Sorry to hear the cam fail. Can’t help on the fixture, but many here have done it and will have ideas.

Back to the cam. How many miles did it have? What oil did you use? Any ideas on the failure? Any idea when the cam was produced?

You're a carpenter... go look at my Bee resto thread over on DC and see what I threw together with scrap silent beams (tgi"s).

I made mine so the back end is adjustable, it works on both my A and B bodies.

20220531_185533.jpg

20220531_185523.jpg

KD, I got this one through Year One, many years ago. Seems to work well, ins & outs. Not sure if they still offer them ? You could borrow mine, if you'd like to pick it up ???
1006131404.jpg

Here is my cart. Bought some 400lb rated swivel casters, the rest was just scrap steel I had. The two front vertical posts fit into the openings on the k, back portion matches up with the trans pan. I got some 5/8x12" bolts to use as guides up front when mating up, cut the heads off. Works great. I can leave the headers on too.

ABE2B745-8CD1-4E62-A54E-C2520EDF84F3.jpeg

698C97D0-5A37-4B87-B49D-0FCEEB97B67A.jpeg

BB1B7E39-F21E-4CB5-9AC4-F539EC852CFE.jpeg

E9AF9E6F-CF1C-4CD5-A479-1518F0B2A86F.jpeg

336F9C9E-1AF6-4FC0-B09E-E1FE2F498690.jpeg

BFD7F81F-C281-4A7F-BB69-C0F66B5D8B14.jpeg

^^^^^^^^^^ yup, fast cheap and uncomplicated, for something you almost never use

I’ll be watching- my engine compartment and detailing is next!

I enjoyed the detailed write up on the trans swap!

Sorry to hear the cam fail. Can’t help on the fixture, but many here have done it and will have ideas.

Back to the cam. How many miles did it have? What oil did you use? Any ideas on the failure? Any idea when the cam was produced?
I ran good oil. I have been using Redline 10W30 with added Zinc for over a year. I always added Comp Cams break in supplement at oil changes. Maybe the valve springs were too stiff? I kept the same ones I had with my last cam, a Lunati solid with more lift.

^^^^^^^^^^ yup, fast cheap and uncomplicated, for something you almost never use
That looks like I could build something out of 6 x 6s, casters and lag bolts. I'd almost feel like I'm taking the easy way out.
I have a few cars here and I love projects. I want something that can be disassembled for transport or stowed out of sight.
LOTS of great suggestions here and some great work. Thank you.

Auto Transport Service
Back